Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #8421
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/why-chia...nder%7E1204758

What Chiarelli actually says is that according to the Oilers software and their own internal analytics is that they made a stat about zone exits and according to this Russell was one of the top 4-5 defensemen in the league at zone exits or outletting the puck.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #8422
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

...What Chiarelli actually says is that according to the Oilers software and their own internal analytics is that they made a stat about zone exits and according to this Russell was one of the top 4-5 defensemen in the league at zone exits or outletting the puck...

Which is still mind-boggling stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #8423
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what analytics the Oilers have that essentially contradict what is available to the advanced stats crowd. Current metrics on zone exits don't say Russell is good at all.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #8424
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Oh crap, we sorted by 'ascending'. It should be 'descending'."
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #8425
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I had to go listen to it myself. About 42 minutes in is where he talks about Russell. The paraphrase by the poster above was a very poor one. Mackenzie asks about Russell and how come the analytics community and the people who watch the game disagree so much on Russell's value. What Chiarelli actually says is that according to the Oilers software and their own internal analytics is that they made a stat about zone exits and according to this Russell was one of the top 4-5 defensemen in the league at zone exits or outletting the puck.

The interview is interesting in that Mackenzie asks a lot of hard questions and Chiarelli stutters and "ummm"s a lot. Every time I hear Chiarelli, Benning and Treliving speak its obvious we have the sharpest one of the bunch.
Yes, thanks for clarifying the quote and Coiler fans now taking it to the extreme that Russell is a top 5 defenseman in the league and that they got a bargain at $4 million per year!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #8426
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I had to go listen to it myself. About 42 minutes in is where he talks about Russell. The paraphrase by the poster above was a very poor one. Mackenzie asks about Russell and how come the analytics community and the people who watch the game disagree so much on Russell's value. What Chiarelli actually says is that according to the Oilers software and their own internal analytics is that they made a stat about zone exits and according to this Russell was one of the top 4-5 defensemen in the league at zone exits or outletting the puck.

The interview is interesting in that Mackenzie asks a lot of hard questions and Chiarelli stutters and "ummm"s a lot. Every time I hear Chiarelli, Benning and Treliving speak its obvious we have the sharpest one of the bunch.
someone doesn't know how to use quickbooks

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #8427
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
Chiapet's interview with TSN he states that Russell is a top 5 defenseman in the league and Coiler fans are now thinking they got quite the "deal". Chiarelli is the perfect GM to lead that franchise into disaster by signing overpriced talent to long contracts that nobody else will touch without Edmonton retaining salary for years to come. The next GM is going to have quite the mess to clean up.

And any Coiler fan that thinks that painting is "art" probably has some of McJesus's hair under their pillow that they hold at night.
I believe he meant to say best 5th defensemen in the league
Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #8428
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I'm not sure what analytics the Oilers have that essentially contradict what is available to the advanced stats crowd. Current metrics on zone exits don't say Russell is good at all.
It would not surprise me in the least if the Oilers were the kind of team that designs analytics in whatever way is necessary to get their guys at the top. It seems very Oilerish.

"Russell is 5th in the league at starting breakouts between 11:00 and 13:00 of the third period when the game is on a Monday."

becomes

"Russell is 5th in the league at breakouts."
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #8429
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got a kick out of reading this.

Lonely Planet Basically Called Edmonton A Frozen ####hole And Now Everyone's Mad

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro...gP#.sla2kb7xY2

Quote:
People in Edmonton are super steamed over Lonely Planet’s description of the city as cold and boring.

The 13th edition of the venerable travel guide, released in April, paints the city as a forgettable stopover en route to more exciting places like Jasper National Park.

"Modern, spread out and frigidly cold for much of the year, Alberta’s second-largest city and capital is a government town that you’re more likely to read about in the business pages than the travel supplements," reads the introduction to Lonely Planet's write-up.
Quote:
To add insult to injury, the write-up for Calgary was very positive, calling the city "cool" and praising its sense of community.

"Calgary will surprise you with its beauty, cool eateries, nightlife beyond honky-tonk and long, worthwhile to-do list"
Quote:
Lonely Planet defended its work, telling BuzzFeed Canada that writers have to "tell it like it is" and that the write-ups can't necessarily capture all the nuances that locals are familiar with.

"Lonely Planet writers visit and research every destination they write about," spokesperson Natalie Nicolson said in an email. "In this case, our writer was in Edmonton researching the Canada guide in June 2016."
Here's an excerpt from the Lonely Planet intro for Edmonton:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/a...n/introduction

Quote:
Edmonton is often a stopover en route to Jasper National Park, which is four hours' drive west, or for explorations into the vast and empty landscape to the north. Downtown is for the moneyed and the down-and-out. There's hope that the much-lauded Rogers Place will breathe life into it, but this seems like a tall order.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.

Last edited by Point Blank; 09-11-2017 at 04:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Point Blank For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #8430
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I used to think that being a travel writer would be a seriously awesome job. Send me to cities that not everyone goes to, like Perth or St. Petersburg. Edmonton? Sorry, I'd rather be slogging it out at a 9-5.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #8431
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also feel really bad for that travel writer. All they want is to be sent to Orlando yet when their assignment comes up they hear: "your mission location is.... Edmonton!".

Oh, and it's too funny the major Edmonton attraction is proximity to Jasper. Calgary is only an extra hour away with a far nicer drive.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #8432
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
When pointing out a high murder rate in Edmonton, do you think this is saying Edmonton is no good because it is full of people getting murdered?

Pointing out Edmonton's murder rate shows that Edmonton is no good because it has more murderers than others. The victims are not being made fun of.

No one is getting internet points off of someone's death.

I think we'd all like to live in a place that didn't have violent crime. Violent crime makes it a lesser (or "no good") place to live.
Except you pointed out the death of a single woman who was abused and made judgements about the entire city in a thread which is dedicated to (or at least should be) comedy. It is very cold and crass, even if you didn't make a particular joke about her death to do it in this manner.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #8433
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Oh, and it's too funny the major Edmonton attraction is proximity to Jasper. Calgary is only an extra hour away with a far nicer drive.
Actually it's the same. I used to drive from Calgary to Prince George a lot and Jasper was the halfway point of an 8-hour drive. As you suggest, the drive is spectacular and probably most folks will turn it into a 5 or 6 hour trip.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #8434
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who still reads Lonely Planet?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #8435
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Who still reads Lonely Planet?
Apparently a bunch of crybabies in Edmonton...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #8436
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I also feel really bad for that travel writer. All they want is to be sent to Orlando yet when their assignment comes up they hear: "your mission location is.... Edmonton!".

Orlando kind of sucks too though. Theme parks aside, which I don't have much use for, there's very little in Orlando other than convention spaces.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #8437
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oilers rookies get beat by MacEwan / NAIT team

http://globalnews.ca/news/3742721/sc...ilers-rookies/

The heavily favoured Edmonton Oilers rookies were beaten 2-0 by a team made up of players from the NAIT Ooks and MacEwan Griffins.

The MacEwan/NAIT team outplayed the Oilers through the opening minutes and took a 1-0 lead on a goal from Thomas Foster at 8:54 of the first.

The final shots were 49-19 for the Oilers rookies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #8438
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Oilers rookies get beat by MacEwan / NAIT team

http://globalnews.ca/news/3742721/sc...ilers-rookies/

The heavily favoured Edmonton Oilers rookies were beaten 2-0 by a team made up of players from the NAIT Ooks and MacEwan Griffins.

The MacEwan/NAIT team outplayed the Oilers through the opening minutes and took a 1-0 lead on a goal from Thomas Foster at 8:54 of the first.

The final shots were 49-19 for the Oilers rookies.
49 save shutout isn't bad.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #8439
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraToraTora View Post
49 save shutout isn't bad.
They'll probably sign him as their backup this season.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #8440
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ya no kidding - thought about leaving that part out, but figured someone would mention it sooner or later
Closed Thread