Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #61
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
On the back of a CPS ticket there are instructions on how to pay, court date, etc. Is a CP ticket the same? What is the process for going to court for a CP ticket?

CP cops are federally sworn, ticket wise it's the same as something from the CPS or RCMP

Last edited by btimbit; 08-14-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Clarity
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #62
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The Sherriffs love patrolling the stupid 80 zone on the #1 by Chestermere. They're got someone pulled over nearly every time I go by there.
Given how many people had to die there before they dropped it to 80, I'm fine with them patrolling that intersection heavily. Needs to be an interchange though.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #63
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
That's a reasonable 80 zone. The 281 is the best road to get to southern Chestermere, as well as the k-9 school, and the 791 goes to the high school. A teenager got killed there a few years ago crossing those lanes as a young driver.

I'm glad that short stretch is 80, and that they patrol it. School buses pull out on the highway at both those roads. That there is a legit speed trap.

But they sure do like to patrol around here. I'm a bit further north of Chestermere, and they like to hang out / cruise on Conrich Road, 100th st, McKnight (the 250) and the TC. And at all the entrances/exits for Chestermere.
I understand why the limit was lowered there and have no problem obeying it. My gripe is that’s it’s there as the result of poor planning by Chestermere. Putting the high school out in the middle of nowhere, requiring everyone to get there by vehicle, was a stupid choice. I’ve had many close calls with kids returning from lunch at high speed and cutting over to make the turn.

What that road really needs is an overpass, paid, at least partially, by the City of Chestermere.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #64
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I was looking for a clip from a movie or show where the lead rides a rail car and gets his ass kicked by the plain clothed ‘rail police’. Now it’s driving me crazy because I can’t think of what I saw that in...
Emperor of the North with Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 AM   #65
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I was looking for a clip from a movie or show where the lead rides a rail car and gets his ass kicked by the plain clothed ‘rail police’. Now it’s driving me crazy because I can’t think of what I saw that in...
Into the wild:

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #66
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post
Into the wild:

Bingo!! Thanks!

Thanks for all the guesses. My movie worm is cured.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So no Octopussy then?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a reasonable 80 zone. The 281 is the best road to get to southern Chestermere, as well as the k-9 school, and the 791 goes to the high school. A teenager got killed there a few years ago crossing those lanes as a young driver.

I'm glad that short stretch is 80, and that they patrol it. School buses pull out on the highway at both those roads. That there is a legit speed trap.
Why do you take your Dog to school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
The obvious deterrent for a regular ticket is that eventually you can go to jail. Assuming that would happen if you blow it off, and next time a cop runs your plates they see the history and arrest you. I assume CP cops can't do that? Or is the CP ticket system connected to the vehicle registration system?
Train Jail. Maybe they have a jail on a train car? Or you're forced to ride the rails for the duration of your sentence attaching the caboose and roughing up hobos?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #69
HHW
Farm Team Player

Exp:

nm, beaten to the punch

Last edited by HHW; 08-15-2019 at 08:20 AM.
HHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #70
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How about the First Nations police? I see them driving around town from time to time.
Absolutely, some of my kid's buddies have been given speeding tickets on 37th St SW by the Tsuu Tina police.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #71
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, Parks Canada can give Traffic Safety Act tickets? This is news to me. I blow by Park Rangers and bylaw/transit peace officers like a boss.

I thought that while they were considered Peace Officers, like Calgary Bylaw officers, who can technically detain you, they generally don't issue criminal or TSA charges.

edit: wow, interesting. Imagine they don't actually use those powers (both Parks and Bylaw) as they're not trained in it, nor do they have the appropriate tools or qualifications to make any sort of case actually stick.

Quote:
(ff) “peace officer” means
(i) a police officer under the Police Act;
(ii) a member of a police service under the Police Act;
(ii.1) an investigator designated under section 2.1;
(iii) except in sections 39, 39.1, 39.2, 88, 88.1 and 90, a
peace officer appointed under the Peace Officer Act
for the purposes of this Act;
(iv) a park warden appointed under the Parks Canada
Agency Act (Canada)
;
(v) a conservation officer appointed under section 1 of
Schedule 3.1 to the Government Organization Act;
(vi) a forest officer appointed under the Forests Act;
(vii) a wildlife officer appointed under the Wildlife Act;
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #72
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't #### with trains, they always win.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #73
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a fairly substantial ticket ($780! Plus 4 demerits.) for failing to yield to a pedestrian. Which is hilarious because I'm somewhat of a pedestrian advocate, even when I'm the driver.

When I was issued the ticket, I was sure that I had done nothing wrong. I requested disclosure from the Crown (legal speak for getting to view the dashcam video). If it arrived, I would have the evidence to exonerate me. If it didn't arrive in time, I was going to go to my court date and argue that the charge should be tossed because the Crown didn't provide the evidence.

Of course, two days before my court date the package arrived. And to my horror, the flashing lights were pressed early enough for me to see them. Sure, there were other factors (the button was around a corner on the far right side, and I was turning left, so there wasn't much of a chance to see the pedestrian. And they had barely entered the road, and were not even in the opposite lane, let alone mine. And I was probably going about 15 kph. But still - I should have seen the overhead flashing lights.

I thought that my plan of action would be to go in and see the justice of the peace and just own it. He was a really nice guy, and everyone seemed to be leaving his office with a look of relief on their face. When I was called, I basically said: "I requested disclosure, and yes, I should have seen the flashing lights. I am quite embarrassed that I didn't. I do feel that the penalty is quite harsh given the circumstances, however, based on the location, my driving record, and the speed I was travelling."

He looked up and said - "I agree. How does $230 and no demerits sound?" I said "deal!" and he wished me a nice day. Technically he had lowered the charge to something more generic, so I still got to learn my lesson, but spared somewhat financially. He even asked about my ability to pay, etc. and I assured him that $230 I could swallow as a lesson learned, and it sure beats $780! But they actually seemed... human. I went to the payment window and paid up, and then I was on my way to Simons where they had a crazy dress shirt sale on and I got 5 for about $100. On balance, a really productive day.

So Jimmy Stangs not-legal advice:

- Request disclosure. You have a right to see the evidence against you so you can make an informed plea.
- Even if the disclosure doesn't help your case, consider attending on your date in person. The penalty on your ticket is a voluntary payment option - black or white. A justice of the peace has the ability to consider all of the other factors, including your driving record, the severity of the infraction, and even your financial situation. You can still be "guilty" but to a lesser charge and/or a lesser penalty.

Of course, $310 is a lot different that $780, but still a good chunk of change. My trip downtown was worth the day off, parking or train fare, hassle, time, etc. Not having much experience with the legal system, it was actually kind of interesting and not intimidating.

The only wild card is that it was a CP ticket, but I assume that if they get all of the powers of city cops, then you get all of the rights of being ticketed by a city cop.

Feel free to PM if you would like any more details about my experience, with the massive caveat that I am not a lawyer and very much a regular citizen who got a big ticket once.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #74
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Jimmy Stang, just curious - how did you go about requesting disclosure?

Mass_nerder, what happened here? Any update?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #75
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I got in touch with the Crown Prosecutor's office (I think I called first to ask questions, and then they provided me with an email address). Then I sent them an email with my violation number, full name, date of birth, phone number, and email address.

A couple of weeks later I hadn't heard anything, so I sent an email to follow-up (this included Christmas, so that probably contributed to the delay), to which they replied promptly that they were still waiting for the officer to submit the ticket info.

I believe that it was only a few days after that I received a phone call to go in and pick up my disclosure package that had a few items in it, including a more in-depth report by the officer, and of course, my disc with the dashcam video.

They may have since moved to electronic disclosure, so the step of actually picking up a physical package may not be necessary anymore, but the Crown Prosecutors office will obviously clarify that. This was in December 2017 and January 2018, so things may have changed.

Here's the contact details for that office:

Alberta Justice - Crown Prosecutor's Office
Traffic - Disclosures
6th Floor, 332 - 6 Avenue SW Calgary, Alberta T2P 0B2
Main Line Phone: (403) 297-8444
Email: JSG-ACPS.Calg-traffic@gov.ab.ca

Like I said above, the evidence didn't exonerate me like I had hoped, but it did give me the information needed to make an informed decision.

Edit: And I think that it was actually the police officer who originally told me to contact the Crown Prosecutor's office. I had asked if I could view the video, and I'm pretty sure he said to call them if that's what I wanted to do. He did also tell me that he reviewed it before issuing the ticket, but I really had to see it with my own eyes!

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 08-24-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #76
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ I should note that I am not certain if an application for disclosure will be accepted if you are not a lawyer and representing yourself. I have seen the form that has a spot for the applicant to identify the law firm, bar number etc

The cost of a lawyer will likely be more than the cost of the ticket, so it’d be a matter of principle

Either way, I would just see if it can be thrown out due to an admin error first before taking the next steps

I am not a lawyer, but when I asked for disclosure at traffic court once (~15 years ago) I was allowed.

I'm pretty sure none of your rights depend on having a lawyer.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #77
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mass_nerder, what happened here? Any update?
I went to the court house today.
The sworn in justice of the peace (can't remember the official title; they're an actual judge) closed "early" (I was there at 10:30am and they're supposed to be open until 4pm), so I couldn't do anything today.
I talked with the regular justice of the peace, and they told me that my ticket wasn't even in the system yet (even though the ticket was from July 14th), so even if the judge was there, they couldn't have done anything. Apparently the officer doesn't have to get the ticket into the system until Sept. 24th (the court date is the 25th).

Basically the lady I talked with gave me a phone number to call and check if the ticket was in the system yet, and gave me a form to fill out to file for disclosure. I'll be out of the country for three months starting next week, so I'll have to get someone to go in on my behalf and do this all over again.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #78
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, learnt something new today. I always thought "CP Police" were the same as those Gardaworld rent a cop security guys. I used to work around that Lumberking area just behind the Calgary Transit office up in the Northeast near McKnight and Deerfoot, and I remember seeing signs about how people there can be ID'ed upon request. I was like, screw that, if those mall cops asked me for ID, I'd just laugh at them a drive away. Good thing I never ran into one.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
The sworn in justice of the peace (can't remember the official title; they're an actual judge) closed "early" (I was there at 10:30am and they're supposed to be open until 4pm), so I couldn't do anything today.
I talked with the regular justice of the peace, and they told me that my ticket wasn't even in the system yet (even though the ticket was from July 14th), so even if the judge was there, they couldn't have done anything. Apparently the officer doesn't have to get the ticket into the system until Sept. 24th (the court date is the 25th).

Basically the lady I talked with gave me a phone number to call and check if the ticket was in the system yet, and gave me a form to fill out to file for disclosure. I'll be out of the country for three months starting next week, so I'll have to get someone to go in on my behalf and do this all over again.
Do they wear and Old-Timey Conductor's hat and a whistle?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #80
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post

Cant you just plead not guilty on the ticket before you go and then you get an actual court date... Although it may be before the 3 months that you are gone
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote