Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #141
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's never scored more than 31 goals and he wants $12 million a season long term?
While $12M is high, you're discrediting his stats when you imply he has no basis to ask for something high cause he never scored more than 31 goals. He's played 4 full seasons in the NHL and never scored less than 27 goals or 74 points in any of his seasons.

If you compare his last 4 seasons with Gaudreau, they are almost exactly the same in points yet Panarin scores a bit more. It'll be interesting to see what he signs for, as it will give a strong indication as to what Johnny's value is on the open market today.

Last edited by burnitdown; 06-25-2019 at 08:06 AM.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #142
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Bobrovsky has a meeting with the Islanders next

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Sergei Bobrovsky is on the move. He met with the #FlaPanthers to open the NHL's free-agent interview period. Next stop: New York. (Source: Instagram sergeibobrovsky)
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #143
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Sergei Bobrovsky is on the move. He met with the #FlaPanthers to open the NHL's free-agent interview period. Next stop: New York. (Source: Instagram sergeibobrovsky)
Islanders? Interesting. I thought it was rumored the Rangers were interested and that's how I took this tweet.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #144
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would be perfectly okay if the only move the Flames made right now is signing Robin Lehner to a 4-5 year deal.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #145
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The Islanders and the Rangers could both meet with him. Makes sense. But I doubt he plays behind King Henrik or vice versa
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #146
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
While $12M is high, you're discrediting his stats when you imply he has no basis to ask for something high cause he never scored more than 31 goals. He's played 4 full seasons in the NHL and never scored less than 27 goals or 74 points in any of his seasons.

If you compare his last 4 seasons with Gaudreau, they are almost exactly the same in points yet Panarin scores a bit more. It'll be interesting to see what he signs for, as it will give a strong indication as to what Johnny's value is on the open market today.
I'm not discrediting his stats. I just value goals more than assists especially secondary ones. If a forward is asking me for $12 million a season I'm asking for 40 goals a season not 27 or 30. Gaudreau is making less than $7 million a season so I don't understand why you are bringing him into this conversation as he's not asking for $12 million this offseason and the day he does then we can talk about his value.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #147
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy has been a top ten scorer since entering the league, right between Gaudreau and Ovechkin. He's done it while playing with top tier players in Chicago, and less than top tier players in Columbus.

A 7 year deal will still keep him on the right side of 35 (he'll be 34 his last season). There's teams out there that would easily and happily offer him 11M+ without a second thought.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #148
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post

My guess on Panarin is $9-9.5 million. I can't see him getting 10+ because he's a winger. Obviously term and other details will factor in to the final price as well.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #149
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
My guess on Panarin is $9-9.5 million. I can't see him getting 10+ because he's a winger. Obviously term and other details will factor in to the final price as well.
Taxes if he signs in Florida too
Old 06-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #150
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lundqvist is signed for two more years at $8.5 million with a full NMC.

By all accounts, Bob is looking for at least that much.

Would the Rangers really tie up nearly a quarter of their cap space on two goalies? Would they trade Lundqvist? If they did look to trade him, which team would he waive his NMC for?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #151
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panthers have roughly $20 million in cap space right now. Rumours are that Luongo is considering going on LTIR for the remainder of his contract because his hips/knees might be too bad to play. He had multiple long-term injuries last year. That means Florida has almost $25 million in cap room to add this off-season. Here are their bigger needs heading into the off-season:

Defensive minded coach to teach systems: CHECK-Joel Quenneville
Shutdown top 4 defenseman to play with Matheson: TBD
Starting goaltender: *Possibly signed Bobrovsky at $8 million per year.
Scoring winger to play with Barkov: *Possibly signed Panarin at $9.5 million per year.
3rd/4th line veteran checking center: TBD
3rd/4th line veteran checking winger: TBD

Huberdeau-Barkov-*Panarin (Holy hell is that a scary line)
Dadonov-Trocheck-Hoffman
Vatrano-UFA-Malgin
UFA-Borgstrom-Sceviour

Ekblad-Yandle
Matheson-UFA
Weegar-Pysyk

*Bobrovsky-Reimer

LTIR-Luongo

Coach: Joel Quenneville

So even with those big UFA signings, they would have anywhere between $3-7 million to find some final pieces to fill out the lineup. It's entirely possible that they let guys like Tippett and Heponiemi start the year on the team and then add at the trade deadline. But much of this hinges on them getting their big UFAs, mostly Bobrovsky.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #152
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

The Islanders would be surprising.
Quote:
NHL

NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Jun 24, 2019

Lehner has 'no plans' to talk to other teams
TSN.ca Staff

New York Islanders goaltender told Newsday on Sunday he doesn’t expect to meet with any teams in the now-open unrestricted free agent speaking window as he looks to work out an extension in the Big Apple.

“I’ve got no plans to talk to another team at this point,” Lehner said. “From my understanding, that’s not (general manager Lou Lamoriello's) intention either. Hopefully, it will work out so we can finish what we have started.”
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #153
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah... Bobrovsky isn't signing for 8 million per. Panarin won't sign under $10M.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #154
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Panthers have roughly $20 million in cap space right now. Rumours are that Luongo is considering going on LTIR for the remainder of his contract because his hips/knees might be too bad to play. He had multiple long-term injuries last year. That means Florida has almost $25 million in cap room to add this off-season. Here are their bigger needs heading into the off-season:

Defensive minded coach to teach systems: CHECK-Joel Quenneville
Shutdown top 4 defenseman to play with Matheson: TBD
Starting goaltender: *Possibly signed Bobrovsky at $8 million per year.
Scoring winger to play with Barkov: *Possibly signed Panarin at $9.5 million per year.
3rd/4th line veteran checking center: TBD
3rd/4th line veteran checking winger: TBD

Huberdeau-Barkov-*Panarin (Holy hell is that a scary line)
Dadonov-Trocheck-Hoffman
Vatrano-UFA-Malgin
UFA-Borgstrom-Sceviour

Ekblad-Yandle
Matheson-UFA
Weegar-Pysyk

*Bobrovsky-Reimer

LTIR-Luongo

Coach: Joel Quenneville

So even with those big UFA signings, they would have anywhere between $3-7 million to find some final pieces to fill out the lineup. It's entirely possible that they let guys like Tippett and Heponiemi start the year on the team and then add at the trade deadline. But much of this hinges on them getting their big UFAs, mostly Bobrovsky.
Do they have any of their own players to re-sign? If not, that is a lot of room although I wouldn't expect Panthers to be a cap team either.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #155
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The Islanders would be surprising.
Someone recently said that if the Isles didn't want Bob, they would have already resigned Lehner. Seeing that Lehner hadn't been signed yet (has publicly said he wants to stay on the island), it pointed at them going hard at Bob.

In other words, this is not a surprise.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #156
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hah... Bobrovsky isn't signing for 8 million per. Panarin won't sign under $10M.
Bobrovsky is almost 31. With term of say 6 or 7 years I could see 8M in Florida. Similarly, due to it being Florida, Panarin signing for under 10M is a possibility. His take home pay will be more than other places if he signed 12M.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #157
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Lou has always seemed to have a top tier G on his teams...part of his philosophy obviously.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #158
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not discrediting his stats. I just value goals more than assists especially secondary ones. If a forward is asking me for $12 million a season I'm asking for 40 goals a season not 27 or 30. Gaudreau is making less than $7 million a season so I don't understand why you are bringing him into this conversation as he's not asking for $12 million this offseason and the day he does then we can talk about his value.
I don’t see why your panties are in a bunch about the guy bringing up Gaudreau. On a Flames discussion board.

He has only a handful of on ice comparables and everyone understands that the Flames have Johnny on a great contract. One of his comparables is going to get paid. Good to know what he will be worth.

And guess what? Lots of talk on this very board about asset management, with term remaining, regarding the Flames D. People aren’t waiting for Brodie and Hamonic to make salary demands before talking about them.

Did you need a link to some of those posts so you can chastise them?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #159
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Not a big surprise. Sounds like Preds are front runners for Duchene

Adam Vingan @AdamVingan
My colleague @PierreVLeBrun mentioned on @1025TheGame that Matt Duchene is scheduled to visit Nashville this week during the free-agent interview period.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #160
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they can sign Duchene to a $9M cap hit or less it would change my perception of the Subban trade.

I think they definitely shop Turris heavily if they do sign Duchene considering the cap hit he will command. If Duchene signs for 9 that would be $23M in their top 3 centers.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote