Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #2721
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...ck-in-the-fold

Just some gems from cranky old Terry.

Peter Chiarelli didn’t embrace it at all. He avoided as much interaction with the fans or media as possible.

By design. Chia knew that being the POHO instead of Lowe was a requirement to take the position, and knew before he got there that the press was an extension on the OBC and that Lowe did his negotiations through the Edmonton media for decades. Letting those media guys cuddle up to you was a recipe for disaster. And he has to do a dog and pony show for fans?

Another priority for Nicholson is for the new GM to be available and accessible.

Sorry, why? The role isn’t to be team cheerleader or to satisfy the media’s entitled ego who wish to be able to talk to the GM with their opinions, when the guy should trying to make the team better. But this peels back the onion on what the expectations are of the media for this position, showing how out of touch these idiots are.

Another thing is the new hire has to deal with is the fact this franchise has spent 12 of the last 13 years out of the playoffs. The guy can’t come in with a five-year or even a three-year plan. It has to be a this-year plan.

There’s further complication that Edmonton has won five Stanley Cups. That’s one more than the New York Rangers and one fewer than both the Chicago Blackhawks and the Boston Bruins. Those are three Original Six teams. So that has to be the big picture plan. With Connor McDavid, this can’t be a team built to just make the playoffs it has to be built to dominate for a decade.

Classic OBC entitlement and arrogance (almost as if Lowe wrote this paragraph, it goes to show how lockstep the media is with a guy like Lowe), again exposing the stupefying logic that the Oilers media (and by an extension, fans) believe the franchise entitled as to the franchises position in hockey history. That notion that the job is “more complicated” because of the 80’s success, when the Oilers last won a Stanley Cup 28 years ago, is borderline insanity as to how delusional someone could be.

In addition to all that, Krueger had been employed as chairman of Southampton in the England Premier League of soccer until it was announced he stepped away on Friday.

Southampton is known for developing and I expect he’d work very well with Gretzky, who has done an outstanding job in drafting and developing in running the amateur side of the Oilers operation while Chiarelli was mucking up the other side.

LOL, I know if I’m looking for an authority on the EPL clubs as to which have history of traditions in “developing” (players, business, youth academy, what Terry?) I know my go to guy, intimate in his knowledge of European football, is Terry Jones.

It’s just embarrassing article full of half truths and ego, and this is example 1)a of why the Oilers franchise, media, and fans, are no good, and won’t be for a long time.

Last edited by browna; 04-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #2722
jmac98
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
It’s an “Official Publication”. So it’s actually sanctioned by the OBC and the Oilers propaganda machine? Where can I get a copy?!?
Try a countryside gas station’s clearance bin next to the cassette tapes.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #2723
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

Just some gems from cranky old Terry.

In addition to all that, Krueger had been employed as chairman of Southampton in the England Premier League of soccer until it was announced he stepped away on Friday.

Southampton is known for developing and I expect he’d work very well with Gretzky, who has done an outstanding job in drafting and developing in running the amateur side of the Oilers operation while Chiarelli was mucking up the other side.

Good god. So now the Oilers are doing an outstanding job of drafting and developing? News to me TJ.

Draft player, don't promote to first line and give them 20 minutes a night, have them play in the AHL. Wow. Genius strategy. Don't let the other 30 teams in on this.

So was Pulljujarvi a Chiarelli muck up or did Gretzky forget his genius pills that day?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #2724
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Nice breakdown browna.

Terry Jones' words should be in Comic Sans though.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #2725
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Good god. So now the Oilers are doing an outstanding job of drafting and developing? News to me TJ.

Draft player, don't promote to first line and give them 20 minutes a night, have them play in the AHL. Wow. Genius strategy. Don't let the other 30 teams in on this.

So was Pulljujarvi a Chiarelli muck up or did Gretzky forget his genius pills that day?

I think they're all in on Bouchard as the next uber blueliner in the NHL, because looking at what they have coming, its not that great. I mean a AHL going on a strong run means a lot less then they think in terms of graduating players.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #2726
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think they're all in on Bouchard as the next uber blueliner in the NHL, because looking at what they have coming, its not that great. I mean a AHL going on a strong run means a lot less then they think in terms of graduating players.
Ya I agree. They keep on recycling this theory that a successful AHL team = successful NHL development program. I am certain I saw a thoughtful poster showing the previous AHL champs and their respective NHL clubs and it showed zero correlation to NHL success.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #2727
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

LOL, I know if I’m looking for an authority on the EPL clubs as to which have history of traditions in “developing” (players, business, youth academy, what Terry?) I know my go to guy, intimate in his knowledge of European football, is Terry Jones.

It’s just embarrassing article full of half truths and ego, and this is example 1)a of why the Oilers franchise, media, and fans, are no good, and won’t be for a long time.

Um... Should the Oilers really care about someone who is doing alright in managing a football team? Because "known for developing"? What? Then they might even look at a good school teacher, or maybe even a real estate developer. Shouldn't they really be looking for a person who is good at managing NHL teams instead of looking at a former coach who may or may not be good at anything? This is one of the weirdest takes I've seen. Yeah, the Oilers need someone who can create a dynasty, so let's go as far off the board as possible. Great stuff.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #2728
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oilers can boast about Bouchard and Jones, if they wish.

Fact of the matter is the Flames have 4 D , 23 years of age and under , each of whom are better than either Oiler prospect.

Last edited by timbit; 04-13-2019 at 01:03 PM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #2729
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon59 <-----no good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I think the Oilers firing their family liaison that "helps players settle in" makes perfect sense. To "settle in" to Edmonton, all you need is a stack of West Edmonton Mall coupons. Handing those out doesn't require a full-time position.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #2730
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Another thing is the new hire has to deal with is the fact this franchise has spent 12 of the last 13 years out of the playoffs. The guy can’t come in with a five-year or even a three-year plan. It has to be a this-year plan.

There’s further complication that Edmonton has won five Stanley Cups. That’s one more than the New York Rangers and one fewer than both the Chicago Blackhawks and the Boston Bruins. Those are three Original Six teams. So that has to be the big picture plan. With Connor McDavid, this can’t be a team built to just make the playoffs it has to be built to dominate for a decade.

man this part is just incredibly awesome. so this mythical person has to have an immediate plan to transform a team who has just gone through a historically bad bakers dozen years into a decade long dominant dynasty

there is only one person that could promise that- Donald Trump!

The Oilers deserve whatever they get if they find someone sputtering this crap back to them
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #2731
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly believe Terry Jones mind is fading and the Sun should probably politely ask him to retire. His articles and tweets this season have been all over the place between bad, awful, creepy, nonsensical, etc. Baghdad Bob is a paid shill and he's doing exactly what the Oilers are paying him to do but Jones is writing stuff that just doesn't make a lot of sense. He went from dumping on Chiarelli to praising him when they went on that winning streak only to go full 180 back to blaming him again. Sad way for a guy to end his career.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #2732
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that Cp should take every E=NG thread ever written and publish it as a novel. Reading these timeless classics would be the tonic to helping me and so many others go to sleep happy every night.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #2733
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Guys guys.....

The Next General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers shall be........<drum roll>

HAWAIIAN SHIRT GUY!

Douser of dastardly Flames! Able to leap a Iced Caramel Cloud Macchiato Trenta in a single bound!

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 04-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #2734
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stole this from reddit. I am dying.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #2735
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
Um... Should the Oilers really care about someone who is doing alright in managing a football team? Because "known for developing"? What? Then they might even look at a good school teacher, or maybe even a real estate developer. Shouldn't they really be looking for a person who is good at managing NHL teams instead of looking at a former coach who may or may not be good at anything? This is one of the weirdest takes I've seen. Yeah, the Oilers need someone who can create a dynasty, so let's go as far off the board as possible. Great stuff.
I suspect there is a large amount of guilt associated with this move on how his time ended.

Kruger from all accounts was a decent assistant and not bad coach, but Lowe got wind of the Eastern media praising Eakins and then the Canucks going to offer him something so he had to move quick and make yet another decision based on ego in trying to be a maverick and being smarter than the others.

But feeling bad for firing him x number of years ago via Skype doesn't mean that should factor into him getting an upper management position either. But I can see that happening.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #2736
Rutuu
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ralph Kreuger was classic small sample size. The Oilers were 19-22-7 in the lock out shortened season that Kreuger coached. The league played intra conference that year, and the Oilers finished 12 out of 15 with a record of 3-7 in their last 10...after winning their last two games. They were fading fast and over an 82 game season likely would have mean reverted to their results from 11-12 and 13-14 where they posted 62pts and 67pts respectively.

I approve of any move that brings Kreuger back.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #2737
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Ralph Kreuger was classic small sample size. The Oilers were 19-22-7 in the lock out shortened season that Kreuger coached. The league played intra conference that year, and the Oilers finished 12 out of 15 with a record of 3-7 in their last 10...after winning their last two games. They were fading fast and over an 82 game season likely would have mean reverted to their results from 11-12 and 13-14 where they posted 62pts and 67pts respectively.

I approve of any move that brings Kreuger back.
He is better than you give him credit for. Krueger also rebuilt the Suisse National Team, and coached a rag-tag group of nobodies to the World Cup of Hockey Finals.

Krueger is a good coach, and a good executive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #2738
Rutuu
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He is better than you give him credit for. Krueger also rebuilt the Suisse National Team, and coached a rag-tag group of nobodies to the World Cup of Hockey Finals.

Krueger is a good coach, and a good executive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every coach that makes the NHL has an impressive resume. There are on 31 jobs at the moment for HC's, so I agree Kreuger is in the top 50. Doesn't make me want to hire him.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #2739
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Every coach that makes the NHL has an impressive resume. There are on 31 jobs at the moment for HC's, so I agree Kreuger is in the top 50. Doesn't make me want to hire him.
Yeah but would you hire Gulutzan instead? Let’s hope Keith thinks so.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #2740
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick estrada View Post
i honestly believe terry jones mind is fading and the sun should probably politely ask him to retire. His articles and tweets this season have been all over the place between bad, awful, creepy, nonsensical, etc. Baghdad bob is a paid shill and he's doing exactly what the oilers are paying him to do but jones is writing stuff that just doesn't make a lot of sense. He went from dumping on chiarelli to praising him when they went on that winning streak only to go full 180 back to blaming him again. Sad way for a guy to end his career.
https://twitter.com/statuses/1073927109704339456

https://twitter.com/statuses/1074029101181267968
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post: