Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default General Electric

Not sure where to toss this. If it should be in an existing thread let me know and I can put it in there.

Either way, this GE fraud story that is materializing is pretty insane.

Quote:
Harry Markopolos, a whistleblower on the Madoff ponzi scheme, has the potential to make millions from his recent call that General Electric has committed billions of dollars in accounting fraud.
Quote:
The former financial executive is reportedly working with an undisclosed hedge fund that's betting GE's share price will drop, and Markopolos has an agreement to receive a portion of the trading profits, according to the Wall Street Journal.
- From my brief and extremely limited knowledge on this, this isn't uncommon but if he didn't disclose his short position that is the issue right?

Quote:
Markopolos' group has also sent its 175-page report to securities regulators in the hope of claiming a cash reward through a government whistleblower program.
Quote:
GE's stock plunged 11% on Thursday — its biggest decline in 11 years — after Markopolos' accusatory report was made public.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-8-1028452690

Last edited by MrButtons; 08-16-2019 at 07:46 AM.
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
- From my brief and extremely limited knowledge on this, this isn't uncommon but if he didn't disclose his short position that is the issue right?

If you mean Markopolos, no. I don't think there is an issue with him having a short position by proxy. It's not illegal to have better information than anyone else. It's just a really bold investigation and accusation by a guy who has some credibility.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

GE back up over 8% today. This is going to be an interesting follow.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

GE has probably engaged in some fraudulent accounting practices since Jack Welch was the CEO, if not before then.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My understanding is that GE is simply understating the reserve account required to pay off long term expected liabilities by the 20 billion or whatever. So the balance sheet is way out of whack, but claims that they are going bankrupt as a result of this seems very unlikely, although he did state they don't present working capital projections or current ratios for whatever reason, which is worrying, kinda. I have zero idea how much money GE has borrowed from banks, but maybe this is an attempt to hide breach of covenants or something? (although that seems like a really amateurish way to do it, so I'm probably off base) Don't know, just speculating. Mostly likely result of this, I'm guessing, is a restatement of their financials going back 3 years, which will tank their stock, but again, actual declaration of bankruptcy seems unlikely.

Last edited by AnonymousStranger; 08-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote