Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #1221
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Why is this?
Why is what?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #1222
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Why is what?
Why are we using the LAVs in such a way that ignores the threat posed by ATGMs?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #1223
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Why are we using the LAVs in such a way that ignores the threat posed by ATGMs?
I had a response all typed up and I lost it.

The short and cynical answer is that the Army promotes bureaucrats and not tacticians.

Soldiers are trained to be aggressive and close within the enemy's bayonet range as fast as possible. The Army some time ago decided that crunchies in the back of LAVs could travel with the tanks right up to the objective. This temperament is fine but it has to be controlled. When everyone is moving too fast, this creates a chaotic situation - and chaos disrupts momentum.

That doctrine has stuck to the point it is now dogma. Something bad (eg, losing that Inf Company's LAVs to actual enemies) has to happen before minds will change. I suppose the good news is that I don't see the Army engaging with enemies that can bring a significant threat to LAVs in the foreseeable future anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #1224
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

The short and cynical answer is that the Army promotes bureaucrats and not tacticians.

Soldiers are trained to be aggressive and close within the enemy's bayonet range as fast as possible. The Army some time ago decided that crunchies in the back of LAVs could travel with the tanks right up to the objective. This temperament is fine but it has to be controlled. When everyone is moving too fast, this creates a chaotic situation - and chaos disrupts momentum.

That doctrine has stuck to the point it is now dogma. Something bad (eg, losing that Inf Company's LAVs to actual enemies) has to happen before minds will change. I suppose the good news is that I don't see the Army engaging with enemies that can bring a significant threat to LAVs in the foreseeable future anyway.

At the end of the day tactically you're right. Canada also doesn't have a great deal of capability in terms of combined arms theory.

If you're going to use LAV's then you'd better have a lot of artillery to keep the enemies heads down and disrupt them. You'd better have air capability to be able to provide battlefield support and tanks to take care of tanks and other armored threats from a distance.

And I agree with what you're saying, I kind of mispoke of the differences between AFV and troop transports.

Its amazing the amount of chaos a small anti-armor missile team can throw out on the battlefield.

Canada right now I believe lacks in strong scouting capabilities. We have the coyote recon vehicles. We lack a strong air borne recon platform though.

I'm not sure what our drone capability is like.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #1225
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

ATGMs are becoming increasingly prolific on the modern battlefield. Given their widespread use in theatres like Iraq or Syria, it is only a matter of time until we encounter an enemy that has adequate stock of them. Can you imagine if the Taliban had used them at all? Those long exposed roadways...
Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #1226
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At the end of the day tactically you're right. Canada also doesn't have a great deal of capability in terms of combined arms theory.

If you're going to use LAV's then you'd better have a lot of artillery to keep the enemies heads down and disrupt them. You'd better have air capability to be able to provide battlefield support and tanks to take care of tanks and other armored threats from a distance.

And I agree with what you're saying, I kind of mispoke of the differences between AFV and troop transports.

Its amazing the amount of chaos a small anti-armor missile team can throw out on the battlefield.

Canada right now I believe lacks in strong scouting capabilities. We have the coyote recon vehicles. We lack a strong air borne recon platform though.

I'm not sure what our drone capability is like.
Well yeah, Canada has nowhere near the capabilities to take on a "near-peer" opponent and is increasingly limited in a support or coalition role with a well-equipped ally.

Our deployment in Latvia is basically symbolic. I think they have TOW capability, but that must be about in terms of heavy weapons - let alone recon or AA etc...
Old 08-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #1227
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The biggest hole in our military right now is in theatre air defense. We can't protect our troops from air strikes on our own.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #1228
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The biggest hole in our military right now is in theatre air defense. We can't protect our troops from air strikes on our own.
Which is a shame because there are a billion systems we could buy off the shelf for cheap.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #1229
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don’t we have the ADATs system?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #1230
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
Don’t we have the ADATs system?

Sold it in the early 2000s, and never replaced.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #1231
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there ever a plan to experiment with the ADATS system on a LAV or is my memory making stuff up?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #1232
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Was there ever a plan to experiment with the ADATS system on a LAV or is my memory making stuff up?

They explored it and then decided not to do it.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #1233
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. Are their no plans for an ADATS replacement at all? Just rely on allies in theatre?

Maybe that's a possible use for all the Leopard C2's they couldn't find a buyer for? I'm assuming ze Germans used a leo 1 chassis in an anti air role at some point

Last edited by btimbit; 08-21-2019 at 10:00 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #1234
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Canadian military is pursuing a different approach to air defence. We are throwing our efforts at ground-based air defence. By that I mean we are developing systems to guard against rockets, artillery and mortar (RAM) munitions, air-to-surface missiles, and remotely-piloted aircraft systems (drones, if you prefer).

Final delivery: 2029/2030 haha.

This is just one layer of air defence. Canada does not have the means to invest in a multi-tired air defence network, but we can add bits to the entire network. Other nations can take care of the aircraft threats (if any).
Old 08-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #1235
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Canadian military is pursuing a different approach to air defence. We are throwing our efforts at ground-based air defence. By that I mean we are developing systems to guard against rockets, artillery and mortar (RAM) munitions, air-to-surface missiles, and remotely-piloted aircraft systems (drones, if you prefer).

Final delivery: 2029/2030 haha.

This is just one layer of air defence. Canada does not have the means to invest in a multi-tired air defence network, but we can add bits to the entire network. Other nations can take care of the aircraft threats (if any).
So not even investment in a MANPADS for the infantry?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #1236
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Interesting. Are their no plans for an ADATS replacement at all? Just rely on allies in theatre?

Maybe that's a possible use for all the Leopard C2's they couldn't find a buyer for? I'm assuming ze Germans used a leo 1 chassis in an anti air role at some point
ADATS was a specific system for air defence and anti-tank used only by Canada and Thailand according to Google. Is the concept of multi-role air/tank defence used by other countries or is that concept unique to ADATS?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #1237
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So not even investment in a MANPADS for the infantry?
Unless it's part of the previously mentioned project, I am not aware of any project.
We haven't had MANPADs since the days of the BLOWPIPE. And even those were only issued to an air defence regiment.
Air defence now = CF-18 and lie on your back and put the MG's bipod on your feet and aim with your legs.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #1238
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless it's part of the previously mentioned project, I am not aware of any project.
We haven't had MANPADs since the days of the BLOWPIPE. And even those were only issued to an air defence regiment.
Air defence now = CF-18 and lie on your back and put the MG's bipod on your feet and aim with your legs.
Didn't we have Javelin until the early 2000s?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #1239
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't we have Javelin until the early 2000s?
Ahh, Maybe. Have you Googled it?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #1240
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh, Maybe. Have you Googled it?
No, I just remember seeing Javelin at a Stampede Exhibition when I was a kid.