Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #1321
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

It doesn’t make sense to play Valimaki in all honesty. I have a hard time seeing us go through that many dmen. It could happen and if our top guys go down Valimaki has the best ability to potentially thrive in a more difficult role but hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Gustafsson-Hamonic

Forbort
Kylington
Stone
Yelesin
Valimaki

Random question: can Lerby suit up for us in the playoffs if we wanted him to?
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #1322
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you actually have Valimaki 11th on the Flames' depth chart?

That's legitimately insane.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #1323
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

For this season, when he hasn't played in over a year now? No, it's not that insane.

Valimaki will be on a practice squad with guys like Stone, Kylington, Yelesin, Valiev and Nielsen, as he should be. If he can work his way up the depth chart, then you consider dressing him.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #1324
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Players informed today Phase III (training camps) won’t start before July 10.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #1325
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Players informed today Phase III (training camps) won’t start before July 10.
Holy cow. Maybe we will be waiting for October to see the 2020 Stanley Cup winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #1326
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Boston Marathon was officially cancelled today (was scheduled for mid-September).

I think we will see more sporting events cancelling into the fall, at least as far as fan attendance goes.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #1327
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Holy cow. Maybe we will be waiting for October to see the 2020 Stanley Cup winner.
That’s exactly what it looks like, beginning to mid October depending on how long some of the rounds last.

With that, it’s very possible we don’t get a start of next season until January 1st, depending on when they’re allowed to have fans of course.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #1328
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet the first two rounds will end up being best of 5. And they’ll count play in games as playoff stats.

That way the most games you can play is 29 games. Only one more than a typical year.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #1329
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I bet the first two rounds will end up being best of 5. And they’ll count play in games as playoff stats.

That way the most games you can play is 29 games. Only one more than a typical year.
Listening to Gary Bettman's rollout from the other day I very much doubt that such a format would be considered. He was careful to emphasize the importance of maintaining the integrity of the Stanley Cup, and I think 30 years of tradition that requires 16 playoff wins are exactly what he was talking about

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #1330
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not under regular circumstances.

His injury, however puts him at least at 7th, and considering life will be easier if we don’t need to worry about him in expansion I’d say keep him with the team but don’t play him til next year.

If we go deep into the playoffs and suffer injuries I would probably change my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #1331
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Not under regular circumstances.

His injury, however puts him at least at 7th, and considering life will be easier if we don’t need to worry about him in expansion I’d say keep him with the team but don’t play him til next year.

If we go deep into the playoffs and suffer injuries I would probably change my mind.
Round 2, just lost game 1 in OT to the Oilers with Injuries to Hamonic and Anderson. Wouldn’t even blink get Valimaki in there!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #1332
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post

31, not that it's a major difference. The lack of travel should help them reduce unnecessary breaks.

Depending on how they choose to broadcast things (live or tape delay), I think they should definitely look at some back to back games (Sat and Sun if they are going live). At least Games 6&7 (4&5 round 0) b2b would be a good way to keep things moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Round 2, just lost game 1 in OT to the Oilers with Injuries to Hamonic and Anderson. Wouldn’t even blink get Valimaki in there!
In that specific situation I would be fine with Stone filling the role, but of course if several LD go down it might be a different story.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #1333
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Listening to Gary Bettman's rollout from the other day I very much doubt that such a format would be considered. He was careful to emphasize the importance of maintaining the integrity of the Stanley Cup, and I think 30 years of tradition that requires 16 playoff wins are exactly what he was talking about

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I thought he specifically mentioned they were still considering using best of 5 for first two rounds. Like you, I hope they don’t but it’s inevitable they will change the playoff format at some point in the future.

A league that awards points for a skills competition and allows some games to award three points, and others two, is not exactly bound to tradition.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #1334
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Valimaki should only see a game if we're looking at 2 or 3 injuries on the backend which would probably require a pretty decent run.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #1335
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly still think this isn't happening. As much as I want it. Going to see a spike in cases in mid June.Call me the party pooper... whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #1336
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I honestly still think this isn't happening. As much as I want it. Going to see a spike in cases in mid June.Call me the party pooper... whatever.
It is always easier to anticipate the worst rather than hope for the best as it lets you be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed if it happens.

Too much money at stake so unless things change pretty drastically I think they make this happen
Old 05-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #1337
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's little doubt the NHL is going to give this a go but with players scattered around Canada, USA, and Europe the NHL definitely faces hurdles that the other North American teams don't. A just released article in The Athletic states that many players are not planning on returning to team facilities for Phase 2 and I think a lot of players are still not comfortable coming back right now. Once they do get all the teams together it's still going to be a monumental challenge to keep things airtight and play out this tournament without interruption. I think the NHL feels they have to do this if only to pave the way forward for the next season and I get that. It's a shame that the league with the most difficult logistics in the NHL has to be the one in North America to come back first and do the trial and error for the other big 4 sports but someone has to do it so the leagues can find the best practices.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #1338
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
So unpredictable - second wave of Covid? Race riots and curfews on the way?

What a ####ty year.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #1339
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Valimaki should only see a game if we're looking at 2 or 3 injuries on the backend which would probably require a pretty decent run.
Well that's what happened in 2004. By Game 4 of the first round, Gauthier, and Lydman were bot down, and both of the `Dor's were in the lineup. By game 3 of the Detroit series, the team was playing with 5 guys because Warrener was also out. So they were 9 games in and down 3 guys. So in this format...by game 4 of the first round this could be the case.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #1340
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If it is true that he plays one game he requires protection in the expansion draft and if he doesn’t he is exempt then it is where he belongs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread