Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #41
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I gotta say, I’m not a fan of Lomberg. It seems like we have much better options than him.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #42
SixtySix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Smith has won his past two games, while Rittich has lost his past two. And Hawks are another team the Flames matchup favorably against.

There's no definitive #1 goalie right now. Run with the hot hand. If Smith can find a way to be an adequate goalie (no weak goal per game), then Flames are in a better position by having two goalies they can roll with throughout the season.

It's much better than having to overwork one goalie because you can't trust the other even in a backup role.
Smith's two wins have been in games where the Flames completely dominated for 60 minutes, a shooter tutor would have got the W as well. Last game he proved that the issue with soft goals that shouldn't be goals is not fixed. Meanwhile Rititch has done just about everything he could possibly do to earn a long, hard look as the starter. There may not yet be a definitive #1, but there's a definitive "no longer an NHL goalie". We're not going to find out if Rittich is truly for real unless we give him the lion's share of starts. Peters has been excellent overall, but other than Ryan on the PP, my only real gripe with him this season is trying to force Smith to work when it's clear he's done.

Not saying we can't still win games with him in net, or that Peters doesn't have a plan. Just that Smith is not going to be the solution in the playoffs and beyond this season. Rittich could be.

Last edited by SixtySix; 12-02-2018 at 11:32 AM.
SixtySix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SixtySix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
Thought Czarnik had one of his better games Friday. Interesting they would take him out. Excited to see Eatbread though. I’m okay with Smith starting. Hopefully he plays well again. Go flames go.
Agreed. Puzzling decision. Peters doesn't seem to be a fan of his game.

For me, against a team like the Hawks especially, I want Czarnik in long before Lomberg.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #44
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
I disagree. Rittich has had far the better numbers and been way more consistent while Smith is still letting in a bad goal per game when he does get the start. To me it's clear who has a future with the Flames and who is our clear cut starter just look at the number. What's the definition of insanity again? oh ya Playing Mike Smith and expecting a different result.
This is an overstatement. While Rittich has terrific numbers on the season, they have not been "far better" most recently. And while Smith has blown a few games this year, his last two starts were solid. So at this point I really think both are playing closer to equal, and I think the way the coaches are handling their starts suggests that they see things the same way that Bingo does.

And to make matters worse, that is not by any measure the definition of insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #45
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich wins 3 in row.
Rittich starts next and loses.
Smith starts and wins.
Rittich back in, and loses.
Smith starts and wins.

Understand completely why going back with Smith.
If it's now win and stay in, I hope Smith plays next 10.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtySix View Post
Smith's two wins have been in games where the Flames completely dominated for 60 minutes, a shooter tutor would have got the W as well. Last game he proved that the issue with soft goals that shouldn't be goals is not fixed. Meanwhile Rititch has done just about everything he could possibly do to earn a long, hard look as the starter. There may not yet be a definitive #1, but there's a definitive "no longer an NHL goalie". We're not going to find out if Rittich is truly for real unless we give him the lion's share of starts. Peter's has been excellent overall, but other than Ryan on the PP, my only real gripe with him this season is trying to force Smith to work when it's clear he's done.

Not saying we can't still win games with him in net, or that Peters doesn't have a plan. Just that Smith is not going to be the solution in the playoffs and beyond this season. Rittich could be.
I completely agree, but in that same vein I would argue that splitting their starts now provides a clearer path to success later in the season and in the playoffs when the team needs to lean more heavily on one guy. People are way too impatient and too quick to promote/demote guys on the basis of short-term results. Many don't seem to realize or care that Rittich has never even played 50 games in a single season at any point or any level in his professional hockey career. There is a delicate balancing act here; it is not all v. nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #47
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's what, 56 games left in the season?

Not like you can start Rittich for the majority unless you want to risk him burning out. Already on track for 40+ starts, a big jump up from last year.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #48
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

News Update

Looks like Czarnik out. Mangiapane in. Smith Starts

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames projected lines and pairings vs. #Blackhawks:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal
Lomberg-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Smith (Starter)
Rittich

*goes to hide as rage over Smith invades this thread*
I love these forward lines. The lomberg in makes the flames a whole lot more infuriating to play against, which is becoming the teams MO. Hathaway, Chuckie, Bennett, lomberg, Hamonic and Gio are all irritating guys to play against. And Neal, Andersson, backlund and Frolik can play this way as well. Johnny is infuriating to play against in a different way.

Hopefully Mangiapane can have success with Neal.

Last edited by GullFoss; 12-02-2018 at 11:42 AM.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Czarnik is better than Lomberg, Hathaway and Mangiapane (at this point), but whatever.

Regarding today's lineup, I think it would be substantially better if you switch Jankowski and Ryan:

Mangiapane - Jankowski - Neal
Lomberg - Ryan - Hathaway

That 3rd line can actually generate some offense.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #50
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seven Things to Watch for Tonight

1. Mark Giordano is one point from tying Brad McCrimmon and becoming 105th all time in points as an NHL defenceman. Gio will reach the 403 point milestone in nearly 500 fewer games.
  2. Matthew Tkachuk is one goal from tying Phil Housley. Tkachuk will get to 50 in nearly half as many games.
  3. Johnny Gaudreau is one assist from tying Craig Conroy and becoming 17th all time as a Flame. To put that in perspective Johnny hockey has played 169 fewer games.
  4. Sam Bennett is one penalty from passing Andrew Ference in All time Flames PIM.
  5. Sean Monahan Is one goal from tying Robert Reichel and becoming 15th all time in goals scored by a Flame.
  6. Mikael Backlund is one goal from tying Curtis Glencross and becoming 24th all time in Flames scoring.
  7. Andrew Mangiapane is one point from is first as an NHLer.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun fact: there are 5 players that are out, from the opening night lineup:

Frolik - Dube - Czarnik
Valimaki - Stone

5 guys out, and no real concerns with the lineup. Pretty decent indicator of their depth.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #52
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I gotta say, I’m not a fan of Lomberg. It seems like we have much better options than him.
I disagree. Lomberg takes advantage of every second he is given in a game. Czarnik on the other hand I sometimes forget that he even playes for the Flames. Clearly Czarnik is the more skilled player, but he can learn a lot about from the way Lomberg makes the best of his opportunity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #53
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

1. Mark Giordano is one point from tying Brad McCrimmon and becoming 105th all time in points as an NHL defenceman. Gio will reach the 403 point milestone in nearly 500 fewer games.
  2. Matthew Tkachuk is one goal from tying Phil Housley. Tkachuk will get to 50 in nearly half as many games.
  3. Johnny Gaudreau is one assist from tying Craig Conroy and becoming 17th all time as a Flame. To put that in perspective Johnny hockey has played 169 fewer games.
  4. Sam Bennett is one penalty from passing Andrew Ference in All time Flames PIM.
  5. Sean Monahan Is one goal from tying Robert Reichel and becoming 15th all time in goals scored by a Flame.
  6. Mikael Backlund is one goal from tying Curtis Glencross and becoming 24th all time in Flames scoring.
  7. Andrew Mangiapane is one point from is first as an NHLer.
Love #7! And hoping we don't see #4
Old 12-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #54
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith month by month.

Oct: 4-4-1 3.55 GAA .878 Sv%
Nov: 3-3-0 2.55 GAA .895 Sv%

Good to see an improvement, but those stats are still not great.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #55
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

smith hasn't had 2 good back to back starts since last year. i'm not holding my breath. as ever, they deserve what they get for starting him. hope he doesn't lose them more points again
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #56
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Derek Ryan, he's kinda like the centre version of Nick Foligno, not flashy at all but is very instrumental to his teams success.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #57
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Jesus the guys running this team are stupid sometimes. Rittich in no way should sit three games in a row. Smith should be getting less than 33% of the starts at this point. What a joke
The team’s management is stupid and a joke? What a massive over reaction. Smith seems to be improving his play as of late and has won 2 in a row. On top of that, Chicago is a weaker opponent. If anything I think this is a sound tactical decision by Peters to keep Rittich fresh for the next game and still have a very good chance to come away with two points tonight. There is still a lot of games left in the season, managing the roster now will put us in a stronger position for the playoffs.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #58
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

1. .
  2. Sam Bennett is one penalty from passing Andrew Ference in All time Flames PIM.
This really shocks me actually.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #59
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett has already played 43 more games as a Flame than Ference did.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #60
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
This really shocks me actually.
It is for 62nd all time PIM, he has a long way to go to catch Tim Hunter.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post: