Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #181
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nylander may have not got 45M, but he certainly would have got more than 41.77M if he had played 26 games extra. In what industry do you work where working for 2/3 of the time will get you the same as a fulltime employee of the same calibre? It was just as much Nylander's choice to play 5.7 years as it was the Leafs.

Also saying the contract is for 6 years but not saying it's for 45M is about as much cherry picking you can do.

41.77/5.7=7.3, seems like a reasonable compromise.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #182
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting, wonder if Dubas keeps his promise.

Dave McCarthy @DaveAMcCarthy
William Nylander says that Kyle Dubas told him that as long as he is in charge, he will not trade Nylander.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #183
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Interesting, wonder if Dubas keeps his promise.

Dave McCarthy @DaveAMcCarthy
William Nylander says that Kyle Dubas told him that as long as he is in charge, he will not trade Nylander.
I think it is Burke who has said in interviews that a gm should never make such statements to a player.

Strange promise to make.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #184
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Nylander may have not got 45M, but he certainly would have got more than 41.77M if he had played 26 games extra. In what industry do you work where working for 2/3 of the time will get you the same as a fulltime employee of the same calibre? It was just as much Nylander's choice to play 5.7 years as it was the Leafs.

Also saying the contract is for 6 years but not saying it's for 45M is about as much cherry picking you can do.

41.77/5.7=7.3, seems like a reasonable compromise.
Lots of industries, including sports, where people get full pay, despite holding out - it's called negotiations.

If you believe that the Leafs would have paid him $10.2M to play for them this year, the onus is on you to prove it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #185
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

38M+ for 4 forwards?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #186
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Lots of industries, including sports, where people get full pay, despite holding out - it's called negotiations.

If you believe that the Leafs would have paid him $10.2M to play for them this year, the onus is on you to prove it.
I would think the onus is on someone to prove the contract would have been different if signed earlier.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #187
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I think it is Burke who has said in interviews that a gm should never make such statements to a player.

Strange promise to make.
Or an absolute brilliant move by Nylander, even if Dubas didn’t say it.

Dubas can’t deny promising that now, even if it’s true, or the media and fans in Toronto will clutch at their pearls, while simultaneously causing a #### storm of questions and distrust.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #188
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I would think the onus is on someone to prove the contract would have been different if signed earlier.
Well, I am not really saying it would be different. I am saying he is getting the same amount even if he signed in the summer.

But I will also say this: he isn't a $10M player, and I suspect Dubas agrees with me.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #189
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I am not really saying it would be different. I am saying he is getting the same amount even if he signed in the summer.

But I will also say this: he isn't a $10M player, and I suspect Dubas agrees with me.
That's not really the point. To Dubai he's a player worth the salary over the entire term. But the structure is all about making room for next year's negotiations. So it was always going to be high this year. It wasn't to even out the shortened season for Nylander.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #190
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But no one said that. You made up the 10M number. 41.77/5.7 is 7.3M. It's still total amount of actual cash divided over total amount of actual playing time.

Unless you want to suggest that Tavares is a 15M player or Benn a 13M player because that's what both are making this year...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #191
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not really the point. To Dubai he's a player worth the salary over the entire term. But the structure is all about making room for next year's negotiations. So it was always going to be high this year. It wasn't to even out the shortened season for Nylander.
No it wasn't. If the contract was signed before the season started, the AAV would be the same throughout.

The only reason the cap hit is higher this year is to avoid cap circumvention. So they take the cap hit and pro-rate it backwards to 'punish' the team.

It has nothing to do with next year. And again, Nylander isn't getting more this year (as a way of getting less next year). It's just a pro-rating for the cap.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #192
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No it wasn't. If the contract was signed before the season started, the AAV would be the same throughout.

The only reason the cap hit is higher this year is to avoid cap circumvention. So they take the cap hit and pro-rate it backwards to 'punish' the team.

It has nothing to do with next year. And again, Nylander isn't getting more this year (as a way of getting less next year). It's just a pro-rating for the cap.
I don't understand. If the contract was signed in the summer they still could have massively front ended it like they did.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #193
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
But no one said that. You made up the 10M number. 41.77/5.7 is 7.3M. It's still total amount of actual cash divided over total amount of actual playing time.

Unless you want to suggest that Tavares is a 15M player or Benn a 13M player because that's what both are making this year...
lol, no I didn't.

If you want to call it 5.7 years, that's up to you (it's a 6 year contract), but the AAV is $6.96M, not $7.3M for a reason.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #194
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand. If the contract was signed in the summer they still could have massively front ended it like they did.
They couldn't have a higher cap hit this year though, which is (I think) what you were arguing: that they did this on purpose so that his cap hit would be lower later.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #195
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They could front load the payments, but the cap hit would be evenly distributed across the contract years. For a contract signed before the season starts, cap hit is just total value of contract / # of years, even for each year. With the late signing, the cap hit for the first year is the AAV ($6.96M) pro-rated to be only for the remaining games in the season (ie. $6.96M spread over 56 remaining games is $124k per game, which would work out to $10.2M over an 82 game season).

So it doesn't really matter how front loaded the contract was to determine this year's cap hit - all that mattered was the AAV and how many games were left.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #196
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

K, I get the point now and I will STFU.