Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #41
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith in the month of November

5GP 2W 3L

Sv%: .891
Best performance: .966
Worst Performance: 808

GAA: 2.86
Best performance: 1
Worst Performance: 5

For Comparisons sake

Rittich in November

7GP 5W 1L 1OTL

Sv%: .911
Best performance: 1.00
Worst Performance: .800

GAA: 2.30
Best performance: 0
Worst Performance: 4

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 11-30-2018 at 12:55 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Italian machine never breaks?
Giordano is like a fine Italian wine! It just gets better with age!

Okay, that got creepy. And weird. Both. Fast.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #43
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is Peters just sticking with the Hot Hand? I dont get the idea of starting Smith.

He played well last game, but he only started that game to give Rittich his day off. We should be going back to our starter, especially against Divisional opponent, we've got to get the Divisional record respectable again.
Kings played last night. One of the lowest scoring teams in the west, coming off a back to back. Seems like a good place to put Smith in a position to succeed.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #44
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be disappointed if we lose this game.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Calgary View Post
I agree with this, I don't think Rittich won the job just yet, more-so Smith lost the job. I was pretty disappointed when Willis reported that Smith was starting last game because I felt it didn't make sense to sit Rittich two games in a row and also because to me it meant that Smith still hadn't lost the job. However, I'm fine with him starting tonight. I don't think Rittich played poorly in his last two losses, but it's two losses nonetheless and you need to play two goalies throughout the season. The last thing we need is a situation where you're afraid to play one. Smith played good in an easy game against the coyotes, give him another start against a mediocre opponent and let him try and exercise his Saddledome demons. But he shouldn't have too many lives left, if he puts up another Montreal game then you really need to start considering bringing up Gillies.
"Exorcise." The last thing Mike Smith's demons need is more exercise.

And a big "no thanks" to seeing Jon Gillies in Calgary right now. He has worse numbers playing in the AHL than even Mike Smith in Calgary. He started the last three games, was pulled from one and lost the other two. In his most recent action he has a 3.95 GAA and a 0.816 SP in that time, and that includes a game in which he allowed only one goal in relief. Gillies is not the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-30-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #46
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I will be disappointed if we lose this game.
Me too. I'm really hoping the Flames win.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #47
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Djanko has earned more than 4th line ice time, but I guess he still has to work on his consistency.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #48
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge two points. Must win. Get pucks deep. Play our game. Get off to a good start.

Flames win 3-1. Tkachuk (2), Monahan.

P.S. nice article on the "Lomborghini" - https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/the-...ni/c-302433070
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #49
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

And a big "no thanks" to seeing Jon Gillies in Calgary right now. He has worse numbers playing in the AHL than even Mike Smith in Calgary. He started the last three games, was pulled from one and lost the other two. In his most recent action he has a 3.95 GAA and a 0.816 SP in that time, and that includes a game in which he allowed only one goal. Gillies is not the answer.
Lmao
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #50
Har-Calgary
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

And a big "no thanks" to seeing Jon Gillies in Calgary right now. He has worse numbers playing in the AHL than even Mike Smith in Calgary. He started the last three games, was pulled from one and lost the other two. In his most recent action he has a 3.95 GAA and a 0.816 SP in that time, and that includes a game in which he allowed only one goal. Gillies is not the answer.
Good point out lol. I don't know about how bad Gillies is playing but I just don't see how it could get any worse than straight up losing games the way Smith has for us. Let's just hope he builds off the coyotes game so we don't even have to worry about replacing him.
Har-Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #51
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Mike Smith in the month of November

5GP 2W 3L

Sv%: .888
Best performance: .966
Worst Performance: 808

GAA: 2.12
Best performance: 1
Worst Performance: 5

For Comparisons sake

Rittich in November

7GP 5W 1L 1OTL

Sv%: .906
Best performance: 1.00
Worst Performance: .800

GAA: 2.28
Best performance: 0
Worst Performance: 4
I'm not sure these Rittich numbers are accurate. I see 180 shots against and 16 goals allowed. That is a 91.1% save percentage. It's still not an extremely impressive number, but above average.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am actually glad that Lomberg is in tonight. Flames could use an injection of his energy level right now. Guys like him who are all energy and bundled with a lot of heart and soul can infect their team now and then. He is only a replacement-level player, but that bundle of energy will help motivate this team a bit. In my opinion, the Flames could have used him against Dallas as they looked a bit flat for too much of the game. He isn't going to be a deterrent. He isn't going to score (though who knows, would be great if he did). Just go out and play really physical and get this Flames team to invest a bit of emotion. Tkachuk can't always be the guy doing it.

Should be a good one tonight. LA will definitely come out hungry and angry (and fricken embarrassed) after losing to those no good greasers last night. Season is just about over for them, and they need a near-miracle run to just save it. Even so, they aren't totally dead yet, so they have to come out tonight playing hard.

Flames win this 9-3.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #53
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Seven Things to Watch for Tonight
  1. Sean Monahan is one point from tying Craig Conroy and becoming 20th in all time points as a Flame.
  2. T.J. Brodie is one point from tying Bill Clement and becoming 38th in all time points as a Flame
  3. Mike Smith is one win from tying Dwayne Roloson and Gerry Cheevers becoming 69th all time in NHL wins as a goalie.
  4. Garnet Hathaway the pure sniper is one point from tying Tom Kostopoulos, Steve Begin, Adam Pardy and Dan Keczmer. His next point will be number 26 as a Flame.
  5. Matthew Tkachuk is one goal from tying Phil Housley. Tkachuk will get to 50 in nearly half as many games.
  6. Johnny Gaudreau is one assist from tying Craig Conroy and becoming 17th all time as a Flame. To put that in perspective Johnny Hockey has played 170 fewer games.
  7. T.J. Brodie will tie Paul Reinhart in Games played for the Flames. Brodie will become 16th all time.
You forgot one .. Lindholm playing in his 400th game tonight.
flameester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #54
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I'm not sure these Rittich numbers are accurate. I see 180 shots against and 16 goals allowed. That is a 91.1% save percentage. It's still not an extremely impressive number, but above average.
Turns out Mike Smith's was wrong too. he was not .888 instead he was .891. I must not be good at the Math.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #55
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Turns out Mike Smith's was wrong too. he was not .888 instead he was .891. I must not be good at the Math.
No worries! We all have our bad days. It's awesome that both numbers are higher.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going out to the movies tonight so I will miss this one but I will leave the tv on so the frog hopefully doesn't.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #57
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Flames have played pretty great so far against Edmonton, LA, Anaheim, and Vegas, who they thoroughly spanked a week ago don't forget. They also completely dominated that game against the Ducks earlier this month and only lost because of two stinkers from Smith, and because that damn building is still cursed.

The Sharks game and the game in Vegas a few nights ago are the only ones where the Flames weren't at their best, and yet they still could have easily won both games, especially against the Sharks where they threw everything and the kitchen sink at them in the 3rd and looked quite dominant in the process.

Overall, I think they match up just fine against those teams, and they've often looked faster and more skilled at times in those games.
Only (some) fans think Rittich is the starter. I'm sure the flames management and coaching staff hold the view that for the team to be really competitive, they need Mike Smith to be at least the 1a. I share that view. Ritticvh isn't a guy we can count on to play a true #1 starter role all year. He isn't good enough and lacks the experience.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I think Djanko has earned more than 4th line ice time, but I guess he still has to work on his consistency.
Also, his recent scoring has been with his present line mates (well, minus Dube now). He and Hathaway seem to have some chemistry right now so why mess with it?

Janko's consistency issues to me have always been about his motor. Why not play him with guys like Hathaway and Lomberg (or Dube), who seem to go nonstop. If he plays with guys that have a more controlled and slower paced game like Ryan or Backlund, he tends to play too soft and slow.

Eventually I'd like to see:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm (usual top scoring line)
Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal (drive the opponents crazy and pot a few too)
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan (checking line)
Mangiapane/Dube-Jankowski-Hathway/Czarnik (can match up against most 3rd and 4th lines quite nicely).

This assumes that Bennett and Neal get their offence on track. Also that Bennett can handle C, which I think might be possible now.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #59
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

So...is this the game Neal gets a hat trick?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #60
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Poor record against the Pacific last season as well and I think it will probably keep them from ultimately winning the division this season. I think this is a big problem that doesn't get discussed enough in that the Flames simply don't match up well against the majority of their division rivals. I would not be surprised the least if the Kings win tonight unless the Flames play considerably better than they have the past few games. I hope Peters has them focused to come out of the gates strong as they need to stop giving up early goals in the Dome.
Reverse psychology?

Well played!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote