Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
Flames are only 5-4 against the Pacific. Need to beat teams like LA to stay on top.
Poor record against the Pacific last season as well and I think it will probably keep them from ultimately winning the division this season. I think this is a big problem that doesn't get discussed enough in that the Flames simply don't match up well against the majority of their division rivals. I would not be surprised the least if the Kings win tonight unless the Flames play considerably better than they have the past few games. I hope Peters has them focused to come out of the gates strong as they need to stop giving up early goals in the Dome.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
I don't think Lomberg wins any of those fights but he will probably still throw fists like a madman
Got a win against Kassian last year. Doughty is a baby, and can't fight. Phanuef isn't smart and can't fight. Lomberg wins some of his titles by attacking fast, like Tootoo used to (kinda cheap but when you're a generous 5'9"/187lb you do what you can).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #23
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Janko continues to produce with those linemates, unchain him and move him up to 3rd line.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #24
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just win and keep the division lead.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
If Janko continues to produce with those linemates, unchain him and move him up to 3rd line.
Bennett/Janko/Neal = the "should be good at scoring line". Based on pedigree in the case of the first to and past stats for Neal, that should be a dynamite line.

It actually wouldn't be that bad defensively (I keep hearing Neal is bad at defence but I really haven't seen it).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #26
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No reason this team cannot keep the Pacific lead for the foreseeable future.

Much better looking in the rear view mirror.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #27
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering how the OOT has gone lately, the Flames really need a win tonight to stay ahead of the Sharks, Ducks, and Knights.

With Smith starting, I figured I'd better post this:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Got a win against Kassian last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRDA5JOQCY
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Peters just sticking with the Hot Hand? I dont get the idea of starting Smith.

He played well last game, but he only started that game to give Rittich his day off. We should be going back to our starter, especially against Divisional opponent, we've got to get the Divisional record respectable again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #30
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Poor record against the Pacific last season as well and I think it will probably keep them from ultimately winning the division this season. I think this is a big problem that doesn't get discussed enough in that the Flames simply don't match up well against the majority of their division rivals.
Flames have played pretty great so far against Edmonton, LA, Anaheim, and Vegas, who they thoroughly spanked a week ago don't forget. They also completely dominated that game against the Ducks earlier this month and only lost because of two stinkers from Smith, and because that damn building is still cursed.

The Sharks game and the game in Vegas a few nights ago are the only ones where the Flames weren't at their best, and yet they still could have easily won both games, especially against the Sharks where they threw everything and the kitchen sink at them in the 3rd and looked quite dominant in the process.

Overall, I think they match up just fine against those teams, and they've often looked faster and more skilled at times in those games.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #31
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look forward to the compilation of penalities the refs didn't call on the Kings against Johnny...
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #32
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Got a win against Kassian last year. Doughty is a baby, and can't fight. Phanuef isn't smart and can't fight. Lomberg wins some of his titles by attacking fast, like Tootoo used to (kinda cheap but when you're a generous 5'9"/187lb you do what you can).
I agree he is tenacious. His fight with Kassian lasted about 1 second before the linesman broke it up. Kassian continued to punch plastic as the linesman broke up the fight.

I hope he fights Doughty, it would be a great to have him in the box for 5+ minutes, but as far as hockey fights shows, he has all of 1 fight in his almost 800 GP
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansmack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #33
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is Peters just sticking with the Hot Hand? I dont get the idea of starting Smith.

He played well last game, but he only started that game to give Rittich his day off. We should be going back to our starter, especially against Divisional opponent, we've got to get the Divisional record respectable again.
Are you sure about that? I think Smith started in Glendale because the coaching saw it as a good opportunity to get him back to form, and because they have not committed to a starting goalie at this point of the season. The way I see it ...

· Smith was demoted from starter to not-the-starter.
· Rittich was promoted from backup to not-the-backup.

As for today's decision, Peters spoke in the media about this yesterday and said that Smith had looked very good in practice the past week. I think he is starting because he looks like he can win this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich wasn't exactly great last game
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #35
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
C'mon, let the guy have a practice with the team first.

Either guy is gonna play 5 minutes. Lomberg might bring a bunch of energy, which the Flames lacked last game.

Lomberg also shows no respect to NHL vets which will drive a guy like Doughty nuts.
Heh, Dough-nuts. Perhaps that should be Tkachuk's nickname?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #36
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So if Smith blows it tonight does Treliving make a trade for Talbot?
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
So if Smith blows it tonight does Treliving make a trade for Talbot?
Talbot is an interesting proposition. The real question is why the fall from grace? Is it being overplayed, and if it is, can we avoid a similar fate?

And further, do we want to be on the hook for his next contract?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #38
Har-Calgary
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Are you sure about that? I think Smith started in Glendale because the coaching saw it as a good opportunity to get him back to form, and because they have not committed to a starting goalie at this point of the season. The way I see it ...

· Smith was demoted from starter to not-the-starter.
· Rittich was promoted from backup to not-the-backup.

As for today's decision, Peters spoke in the media about this yesterday and said that Smith had looked very good in practice the past week. I think he is starting because he looks like he can win this game.
I agree with this, I don't think Rittich won the job just yet, more-so Smith lost the job. I was pretty disappointed when Willis reported that Smith was starting last game because I felt it didn't make sense to sit Rittich two games in a row and also because to me it meant that Smith still hadn't lost the job. However, I'm fine with him starting tonight. I don't think Rittich played poorly in his last two losses, but it's two losses nonetheless and you need to play two goalies throughout the season. The last thing we need is a situation where you're afraid to play one. Smith played good in an easy game against the coyotes, give him another start against a mediocre opponent and let him try and exercise his Saddledome demons. But he shouldn't have too many lives left, if he puts up another Montreal game then you really need to start considering bringing up Gillies.
Har-Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #39
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Gio story from Peters.

Quote:
Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson - 21m

Peters said he had to hide Giordano's skates the other day for an optional -- just so he'd take a day off: "I took his skates ... then, I had to tell someone right away because I was going to forget where I put them. He wanted to skate and goes, 'Where are my skates?"
Quote:
"I said, 'Well, I can't tell you because then you'll go get them.' He's that kind of guy. He's out (on the ice) right now and I'm going to have to go get him and tell him to get out of the pool. He's going to play 25 minutes tonight so he's going to have to get off the ice."
Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #40
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Italian machine never breaks?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: