Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
This is why I never get into the hero worship during the world junior championships.

I know how many of these kids are bullies, misogynist's, and all of the rest of it. These aren't isolated incidents. It's part of a wider cultural issue. Toxic masculinity is huge in hockey.

All that being said, I do think things are slowly improving and I'm glad some much needed light is finally being shed on these issues.
Imagine being a piece of #### bully than getting treated like a hero. Makes me sick. As much as people like to act like soccer and basketball are ##### sports at least they dont have this locker room toxicity like hockey does.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
We are talking about 18 years ago and it doesnt happen on all teams , let's be perfectly clear on that. Its usually one or two bad apples that keeps these things going and take it to new extremes. There was one incident I will not get into details about but that caused 2 players to get kicked off the team (They just went and played for another team). I really hope things are different now, from what I can tell they are.
Yeah, that is I asked when it happened on your teams. The tone of your reply seemed much more recent.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #23
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Imagine being a piece of #### bully than getting treated like a hero. Makes me sick. As much as people like to act like soccer and basketball are ##### sports at least they dont have this locker room toxicity like hockey does.
Basketball?! Lol guys have pulled guns on each other at practice in the NBA
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I for one am glad things have changed for the better. I had buddies 25 years ago that played in the SJHL that can tell terrors of “tug of war” and the bread game for hazing.

But it wasn’t limited to junior hockey. In my high school football years we also had the Heat and marshmallow races. I never did understand the “tear you down and build you back up” attitude of sports. And the whole BS of “we had to do it so you’re gonna do it”

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for making rookies carry equipment or singing and dance routines at team functions or making them dress in costumes in restaurants etc. A little embarrassing fun like that. But when guys are physically and psychologically abused that’s too far over the line.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #25
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
When I was in high school I knew of a thing called the "cookie game" among the rep AAA guys. Gross.

And it's total BS that coaches and management don't know about it. They always do, but just don't do anything about it. Glad the culture is changing and this behavior is no longer acceptable as some of these stories are sickening
Ugh yup i remember hearing about the cookie game. Glad i played soccer.

Really makes me question if i want to put my kids in hockey as they get older.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #26
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

This stuff is more rampant than many people want to acknowledge. Hazing was still a big part of the Dental College in Saskatchewan 10 years ago.

Beyond hazing the sexual abuse and exploitation of females in hockey culture is another looming closet that will disgust everyone.

What I don’t understand is that after Graham James & David Frost there hasn’t been a zero tolerance for this type of behavior. The kind of zero tolerance that systematically counsels senior players/students that if this behavior goes on the consequences will be beyond severe, even criminal.

It’s the code of silence that perpetuate this crap. “If one of us is guilty we’re all guilty.”

But this is part of hockey’s good ol’ boys culture. It’s Don Cherry Chicken Hawk lipspeak. Talk is cheap. He went after Graham James like it was a one off an anomaly. These things are exponentially harder to hide in an open and transparent culture.

But that is not hockey culture.

David Frost was buddies with Bob Goodenow.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I don't know why Jeff Perry has decided to get ahead of this trying to paint himself as naive to all of this.

First off, I don't believe it one bit.
Secondly, if you were that apathetic to what was happening on your bus and in your dressing room then you were unfit to be coaching teenagers.

https://blackburnnews.com/uncategori...lture-changed/

This is the toughest part to believe. How 6 kids can be trapped in a bus washroom and none of the coaches, trainers, media guys, nor the bus driver noticed any commotion over it? I don't buy it.

This is either dismissed as 'boys will be boys' or you and every adult on the bus are astonishingly oblivious.
Yeah, preposterously unbelievable.

"We didnt know! We didnt see anything!"

Its a bus. Its not magic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #28
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

"A player being forced to put his penis in RUB A535, the muscle and joint heat cream."

This is the only one that I can imagine being actually funny? Am I horrible? This seems like the type of good natured, stupid hazing teens should be doing?

The rest of it was awful though.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #29
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Actually from my experience the players good enough to make the NHL or a Canadian National team are almost across the board good people who are super dedicated and DONT do this kind of stuff.

It’s the overagers with little professional aspirations who do pretty much all of the hazing and bullying.

You don’t actualky think the Crosby’s, McDavid’s, Mackinnons etc were doing this stuff in junior right? They were way too busy working on their game and that’s why they are so good
I think that’s a very naive way of viewing these players and again goes back to the hero worship the above poster is talking about. Plenty of NHL players are Dbags, especially the younger guys. There’s a massive drinking and Coke problem in the NHL. I know of several stories of high profile players from Victoria doing very suspect things that they get away with because of their name. NHL players without a doubt haze, maybe not as extreme but on the majority of teams I would suspect there’s some sort of drinking initiation, probably more.

Last edited by Beninho; 11-30-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #30
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, preposterously unbelievable.

"We didnt know! We didnt see anything!"

Its a bus. Its not magic.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #31
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
"A player being forced to put his penis in RUB A535, the muscle and joint heat cream."

This is the only one that I can imagine being actually funny? Am I horrible? This seems like the type of good natured, stupid hazing teens should be doing?

The rest of it was awful though.
I had a groin injury once and I applied icy hot to it and some of it rubbed on you know where, and all I have to say was that I was closed to tears. That #### ####ing burns
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #32
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed about it being BS the coaches didn't know. Some of it, sure. But something like being stuffed in the bathroom has A) been a thing since forever and B) happens ON THE BUS. Where the coaches and other team officials are.

This stuff is disgusting and has always disgusted me. I'm glad these guys are speaking out about it more frankly. When people hear "hazing", a lot of folks might get some relatively innocent ideas. Calling it what it is, abuse, would go a long way to change the culture around it.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rookies should carry equipment and that should be the extent of hazing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #34
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I actually dig this part of hazing. Give the rookie a noogie, have a good joke over it and welcome them to the team.

There is a fabricated "you've earned your way onto the team" merit that hazing creates that I think both sides appreciate. The rookies feel welcomed, and any shyness they might have had starts to melt away if the ribbing comes from a good place.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #35
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Or jump on the ice first and skate the first lap by themselves you know like the pros. Shouldn't they be modeling themselves after them?

And I thought we had it bad in the 70's when itching powder was put in our jocks!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #36
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
But why are members of the team ok with that? How long ago? I keep hoping crap like this no longer happens. Why didnt you and members of the team step up and stop it? I'm not blaming you - just trying to understand how this is acceptable and why teammates think it is a good idea. Seems it can only hurt the team to me.

Hockey teammates are supposed to be family. If I did anything even remotely similar to this to my kids, I would be in jail!
I think people forget just how strong peer pressure can be. Most kids don't want to be the target of bullying, so they go along with it, or they keep quiet about it, just so they don't incur the wrath of the alphadogs in the group.

I'm sure a lot of the teammates deep down didn't like it, but they accepted it probably hoping after the hazing, it's all done and over with.

No excuses for the coaches and other adults running the team though. Those guys are supposed to be the ones making sure these things aren't happening. I think it's naive to think they didn't know what's going on. They just looked over it as "boys will be boys", and now that it's out in public, all of a sudden feign ignorance.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #37
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
Or jump on the ice first and skate the first lap by themselves you know like the pros. Shouldn't they be modeling themselves after them?

And I thought we had it bad in the 70's when itching powder was put in our jocks!
Not really remarkably different from A535 on the junk.

Most of this stuff is hold over from the "good ol' days" and has just been built upon and escalated.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post

That's not hazing. That's letting a kid in his first NHL game have a little limelight to start, and to get rid of a few of the butterflies.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #39
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
No excuses for the coaches and other adults running the team though. Those guys are supposed to be the ones making sure these things aren't happening. I think it's naive to think they didn't know what's going on. They just looked over it as "boys will be boys", and now that it's out in public, all of a sudden feign ignorance.
And likely because they were victims/perpetrators of the same thing and they survived, so it why shouldn't these kids survive? In fact, if they can't, maybe they're weak?

I've seen a lot of coaches at young levels with very thinly-veiled machoism that makes them turn their nose up at ideas of "pansification", whatever that means.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why are young boys so dumb?
First of all, yes, young boys are incredibly dumb. I don't know how most of us made it to adulthood.

But in fairness, the crap that young girls do to each other is substantially worse - they deploy mental torture on each other.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: