Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #41
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Brodie is now 6th in the NHL in +/-

Only one point out of second, and three away from first.
This is nothing short of remarkable. Same player coming off back to back seasons of -16.

You can debate the reasons (personal issues, playing under Gulutzan, playing the left side, playing away from Gio, etc) but the difference is almost night and day.

I do think taking him off the PP (especially PP1) has helped immensely. Likely removes a lot of pressure off him to quarterback the PP, keeps him fresh, and lets him focus on 5-on-5 (and PK).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I love Brodie. Still the most offensively dynamic defencemen on the Flames.

I do think that playing on the left hurt him, but I really believe it was the systems that really hurt his game. With a system that fits him better (and most of the defencemen on the team, if not all), it is no surprise that he is looking great again and positively impacting games more and more regularly again.

He is a treat to watch again. I was really cringing at the thought that the Flames may end up trading him away. So glad when it was Hamilton and not him.
With Peters' system you see the D using the middle on their passes out of the zone. It starts the entire offence and is so great to see. Hamonic is making great passes, the rookies, every pair.

I'm really loving how the team plays now it's so fun to watch the skill on display.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #43
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took him about 10 games to shake off the GG stink off his game. Back to his old self. Fantastic to see as he is crucial to our success.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #44
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'll admit I've been calling for his head for two years, but he has strung together an impressive, and welcomed beginning to this season.

You have to think that D. Hamilton's numbers were inflated due to Giordano, and perhaps Brodie's are too, but Giordano is able to play a better game individually with Brodie. Ditto for Brodie too really, those two play great together and apart from each other.

The contract situation coming up in a few years where we'll have to choose between signing Gio, Brodie, and/or Hamonic will be interesting. I would think Gio must be in the twilight of his career by then, maybe he could score a year or two contract and stay on.

I think they'll resign Hamonic considering he's proven to be a fantastic partner for Hanifin, may as well keep the known pair together, and I'm sure Hammer would resign in a heartbeat.

I'd like to see Valimaki and Brodie get some serious ice time in the next couple years. Valimaki is essentially Gio's heir apparent by the time he gets to signing his first post-ELC contract. If this pair jives it could be that we re-sign Brodie and Hammer and keep the core together.
Flames67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #45
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames67 View Post
I'll admit I've been calling for his head for two years, but he has strung together an impressive, and welcomed beginning to this season.

You have to think that D. Hamilton's numbers were inflated due to Giordano, and perhaps Brodie's are too, but Giordano is able to play a better game individually with Brodie. Ditto for Brodie too really, those two play great together and apart from each other.

The contract situation coming up in a few years where we'll have to choose between signing Gio, Brodie, and/or Hamonic will be interesting. I would think Gio must be in the twilight of his career by then, maybe he could score a year or two contract and stay on.

I think they'll resign Hamonic considering he's proven to be a fantastic partner for Hanifin, may as well keep the known pair together, and I'm sure Hammer would resign in a heartbeat.

I'd like to see Valimaki and Brodie get some serious ice time in the next couple years. Valimaki is essentially Gio's heir apparent by the time he gets to signing his first post-ELC contract. If this pair jives it could be that we re-sign Brodie and Hammer and keep the core together.
Yea thats what makes me think Brodie might be the one on the way out since Gio is our captain and he has to stay. And Hamonic seems like a better fit for us so we might have to keep him. Depends on if any of Kylington, Valimaki and Anderrsson take a step forward.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #46
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know that any of them have to be dealt, near-term, unless it is to address a need elsewhere
Right now it would seem next years D would look like
Brodie-Gio
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valamaki-Andersson
Kylington

Some stability back there isn't a bad thing. The only issue is Kylington likely needs to play. And the reality is that perhaps in the expansion draft you are going to lose one of those.

But beyond that 7 - there's nothing else coming in the system. So while it seems like there is a lot of depth right now, it is actually quite shallow. After Kylington there isn't a single other decent blueline prospect in the organization.

The Flames were fortunate not to lose a decent asset in the last expansion draft but I suspect they'll lose something more material in the next one. Such is the downside of actually having a decent team.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #47
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I am very glad that the Brodano pairing picked up where they left off. Hanifin-Hamonic is an extremely nice fit as well so it is safe to say our blue line is much improved from last year

I do think Brodie will be trade bait next summer. He will be entering the last year of his deal and is due for a raise to 5.5-6.5M per for 5-6 years. With Hanifin signed long term, Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington I can easily see Brodie being the odd man out. Gio is not going anywhere. Hamonic brings a needed element and wants to be in Western Canada so I think he is re-signed.

At the draft trade Brodie for a 1st to help stockpile the cupboards and free up $4.65M for Tkachuk’s extension and number 1 goalie. Definitely keep him for this season though.
I'm not so sure, If this is an elite pair and the flames are showing to be a contender I think the Flames would much rather keep him for next year too and take their chances with either re-signing him or letting him walk when his contract is up. I think it's more valuable to have an elite top pair for two seasons of going for it than to have an extra 1st and a weaker defence.

That being said if say Brodie goes down and Andersson steps up to the point where they are comfortable with him playing with Gio next year, then that could change what they do at the draft or in terms of trading Brodie.

Last edited by BigErnSalute_16; 11-22-2018 at 08:55 PM.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #48
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brodie had a very strong game against VGK. That was some vintage stuff - leading the charge up ice and then also able to come all the way back with his incredible skating.

If there was a game to point the haters to - that this year Brodie has bounced back and he didn't all of the sudden lose his playing ability - it was his play last night.

Effortless stride, creating that second layer of attack, holding on to the puck in the offensive zone and creating plays. That was an incredible display.

Defensively he shut guys down with his skating, breaking up a two on one. He had good details in his game it seemed but he just glides out there and is zooming past people.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm loving the bounce back that TJ has shown, and he's noticably better. With what he's been through.

His wife (Girlfriends) medical issues
A coach that turned out to be a dud trying to force him to play out of position.

Good to see.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #50
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Biggest fail of GG is not finding or using Brodie in the right role etc. He was amazing yesterday
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #51
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yep. Brodie was all over the ice yesterday. Fantastic turnaround this year by him. You can tell his confidence is back
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #52
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Biggest fail of GG is not finding or using Brodie in the right role etc. He was amazing yesterday
Second biggest fail.

Biggest fail was being handed an unpolished gem in Sam Bennett and somehow ending up with coal.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #53
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't know that any of them have to be dealt, near-term, unless it is to address a need elsewhere
Right now it would seem next years D would look like
Brodie-Gio
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valamaki-Andersson
Kylington

Some stability back there isn't a bad thing. The only issue is Kylington likely needs to play. And the reality is that perhaps in the expansion draft you are going to lose one of those.

But beyond that 7 - there's nothing else coming in the system. So while it seems like there is a lot of depth right now, it is actually quite shallow. After Kylington there isn't a single other decent blueline prospect in the organization.

The Flames were fortunate not to lose a decent asset in the last expansion draft but I suspect they'll lose something more material in the next one. Such is the downside of actually having a decent team.
Im hoping the Flames pay an asset to keep their young D. I’m sure we could afford to give something of value away to stop the expansion team from taking a player.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

TJ now 1st in the NHL at +16
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #55
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Assuming he keeps up his play the rest of the year, what would he garner on the trade market during the summer as an upcoming UFA??

2nd and a 'B' prospect?
Late first?
An 'A' prospect??

I think unless you can get a great deal, it is worth it to hold onto him for the year with the understanding he will probably walk for nothing...
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #56
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Personally I think the stars are lining up for a Brodie trade next summer. Some reasons:
- On pace for a fantastic rebound season that will bump his trade value back up.
- A playoff run will show that he and Gio can make the team a threat (and being part of a dangerous 1-2 combo helps bump the value up a bit more). And Gio isn't getting any younger (and is also having a career year again).
- Coming into the final year of his contract at a very respectable salary for what he's bringing
- Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington are knocking on the door for full-time roster slots.
- Hamonic, Andersson and Valimaki are up for new contracts and there's only so much money to go around.
- Will probably look to cash in if possible and possibly have an opportunity to move closer to home (Ontario)

Moving him to Toronto may be a real possibility; they could really use him on that back end.

On the flipside he may take a discount to stay with the Flames, but things are lining to be a good situation to flip him in the offseason.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #57
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Assuming he keeps up his play the rest of the year, what would he garner on the trade market during the summer as an upcoming UFA??

2nd and a 'B' prospect
?
Late first?
An 'A' prospect??

I think unless you can get a great deal, it is worth it to hold onto him for the year with the understanding he will probably walk for nothing...
WTF?

The guy is playing well as a top pairing defenseman, and would still have another year left on a great contract. First of all, you don't trade him. And second, if you do, it better be for a lot more than that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #58
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both Hamonic and Brodie's contracts expire after next season making similar money (and also same age), so it looks like we can only keep 1 of the 2.

If it's me, I will keep Brodie. While Hamonic is sound defensively, Brodie seems to have more offensive jump.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Both Hamonic and Brodie's contracts expire after next season making similar money (and also same age), so it looks like we can only keep 1 of the 2.

If it's me, I will keep Brodie. While Hamonic is sound defensively, Brodie seems to have more offensive jump.
I think Treliving finds a way to keep both. But if not, think about it, between Brodie's offensive skating game and Hamonic's defensive game (and excellent transition game as well), who plays a game that is easier to fill in with Andersson/Valimaki/Kylington? I think it's the offensive Brodie game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #60
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think Treliving finds a way to keep both. But if not, think about it, between Brodie's offensive skating game and Hamonic's defensive game (and excellent transition game as well), who plays a game that is easier to fill in with Andersson/Valimaki/Kylington? I think it's the offensive Brodie game.
But you are not trading away Giordano or Hanifin (who just signed a 6-year contract). Or you will have to trade away on of the 3 youngsters to make room to keep both Brodie and Hamonic. If not, we will run into another "too many veterans in the lineup" problem again.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote