Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default TJ Brodie appreciation thread

Ill be honest i may be bias since he is my favorite player (right there with Johnny) and has been since the 2015 run. I felt he has been really under appreciated by Flames fans lately and has gotten pretty underrated. With all the new pieces we have like Lindholm and Tkachuk getting the attention right now and Hamilton last year i feel he hasnt got the respect he deserves. His skating is amazing and is one of the few good players Flames actually developed properly from the Iginla era. I remember first seeing him back a few years ago thinking what a smooth skater he is. And dont forget in 2015 when Giordano went down and he almost single handidly carried a top 4 consisting of Engellend, Wideman, and Russel into the playoffs and even won a round. The last couple years have been tough because of personal issues and a system that just wasn't a fit but this year he is coming back into form and looking like 2015 Brodie again. He is a ufa after next year and with 3 rookie defensemen knocking on the door i fear we might be seeing the last year or so of Brodie. I hope he stays but if he goes somewhere else i sure am gonna miss seeing his end to end rushes and amazing passes.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He’s looked much improved this year going back to his more comfortable right side. Still mind bottling that GG stubbornly refused to put him back on the right after he struggled on the left for two straight seasons. Thankfully we didn’t give up Brodie due to GG’s stubbornness
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He’s looked much improved this year going back to his more comfortable right side. Still mind bottling that GG stubbornly refused to put him back on the right after he struggled on the left for two straight seasons. Thankfully we didn’t give up Brodie due to GG’s stubbornness
I think it was just the system not really due to his side. Wasn't the strongest play of his career when he played on the left with Engellend in 2015?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other then a few miscues to start the season, Brodano has pretty much picked up where they left off. It was a dumb decision to split them up and put Brodie on the other side. It looks even dumber now seeing how well he is playing back with his regular partner on his preferred side. I don't know how anyone can say it didn't affect him, when clearly the results showed otherwise.

I've always said as Brodie goes, the Flames go. More so then with any other player (except the goalie). Every season under Hartley he's gotten better and better. He was easily a top 20 D and on Team Canada's radar.

Reuniting with Gio has brought out the best in him. Even though I don't know him personally, it's hard not to feel proud when you witness someone turning their career around when a ton of people were ready to ship him off for a bag of pucks. Addition by subtraction so to speak.

The Flames are having a great season so far, and the return of great TJ Brodie is a huge reason why.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Gio more than anyone is happy to be back with Brodie. His game has gotten back to his elite, Norris level play before he partnered with Dougie. I always thought Hamilton actually held Gio back and now, I think that’s definitely the case.

EDIT: Brodie is on pace to be a +39??? Outrageous. Gio is truly a beast. Brods had two -16 seasons away from him.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 11-20-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
I think it was just the system not really due to his side. Wasn't the strongest play of his career when he played on the left with Engellend in 2015?
That pair got overrated pretty badly because of team success. They were at about 36% Corsi together and got outscored 13-6 while they were on the ice. They were passable enough defensively, but we generated nothing offensively with them on the ice. The real hero that year (on D) was, shockingly enough, Dennis Wideman who was over a point per game after Gio got hurt. Russell-Wideman weren't good in their own zone but they (Wideman especially) managed to outscore their defensive shortcomings.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

On-topic: this is the best I've seen Brodie since 2015-16. I really think he brings out the best in Giordano as well - to me the comfort level they have with each other is every bit as important as moving Brodie back to the right side. Although I definitely think Brodie makes better decisions on the right, I think they both have confidence the other will cover for them and that goes a long way.

I doubt we see him put up the same number of points just because we don't rely as heavily on the D putting up points due to our much improved forward corps, but this is the Brodie that I thought was a core player 3 years ago.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I heard Huska (I think) talking about the video they put all the blueliners through but he hinted at Brodie specifically. Jumping too quickly towards transition when the smart play is pick your spots.

Those details have quieted his game down and now his skating is making him look like a 2/3 defenseman again.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

TJ was bound to play better reunited with Gio and a new good coaches.

I wonder with Gio responding well if Gio captures some Norris consideration now that he’s back with his best partner .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Agreed with this. I dont think its a coincidence that Brodie was excellent under Hartley, sucked hard for two years under Ol' Gul and is now back to his prior form.

This isnt Brodie even 'getting better' its just reverting back to his mean.

Now he can improve.

Gulutzan was a Black Hole of hope, dreams and entertaining hockey. The perfect Oiler.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No player forgets how to play hockey to the same degree that Brodie did between 2015 and last year when they're that young and without a major injury.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Glad to see both Gio and Brodie excelling. The team needs that. And even better to see Hamonic really stepping up and playing great with Hanifin. And can't forget the rookies who are also playing great.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looks much better as of late and maybe it was a matter of just shaking off all that changes he had to make to play on the left hand side and getting back to being in his comfort zone. There are still a few too many miscues at times but as a group but there's no doubt things are heading into the right direction.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
No player forgets how to play hockey to the same degree that Brodie did between 2015 and last year when they're that young and without a major injury.
His fiance was diagnosed with MS in October 2015.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #15
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
He really struggled on his off side. It’s no simple matter to switch sides when you’re comfortable on one. Brodie would evade incoming forecheckers on the right side by spinning back towards the corner, beating the first forechecker and then skating or passing it out. On the left side he would almost never evade the first forechecker and he’d either get plastered along the boards or have to dump it up on the boards. His transition game went massively downhill on the left.

Has nothing to do with him forgetting how to play. His off side just allowed him to utilize his strengths to transition the puck quickly and effectively. Obviously playing with Gio helps as well, the captain makes everyone he plays with better and obviously they have good chemistry.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

As I contended in the off-season when Hamilton was traded, the pairings of Gio with right-sided Brodie and Hanifin with Hamonic > Gio with Hamilton and left-sided Brodie with Hamonic.

Does anyone still disagree?
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He was really awesome last night. That was better than just about any performance from Dougie on Giordano's right side.

Potting goals from the point now too when last year it looked like he might never score on his forehand again.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #18
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
As I contended in the off-season when Hamilton was traded, the pairings of Gio with right-sided Brodie and Hanifin with Hamonic > Gio with Hamilton and left-sided Brodie with Hamonic.

Does anyone still disagree?
Yea i always didn't like Hamiltons game even when he was putting up points. If u said anything negative about Hamilton on this board you would have been crucified he was probably our most overrated player. Hanifin has really stabilized the 2nd pairing.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #19
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Best +/- on the team at +10, and 15th best in the NHL.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both Brodes and Benny seem to be shaking off the GG stink.

Gio is really benefiting from Brodie getting back to form. Excited to see this tandem run the tables.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote