Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #61
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see the point of a journeyman backup at all.

Rittich and Gillies were fine as backups last year, considering they were both rookies. Combined, their numbers were: 25 starts, 11-11-4 record, 2.90 GAA, .902 SPG. If we went out and grabbed one of the journeymen out there, could we expect a whole lot better?

Also, goalies have to learn how to play in the NHL - it's a progression. For their 1st seasons, they weren't bad, and expecting some progression this year does not seem unreasonable or overly optimistic. Plus, they need to actually play in order to progress. What do we need from them?

30 starts, with at least: .585 record* (16-11-3), .910 SPG, 2.50 GAA. Is that too much progression to ask for? I don't think so, considering there are 2 of them, and they are going to have to compete for those starts.

50 starts from Smith, and 30 starts from the backups, would be perfect, IMO. And that should be enough games (combined with games in the AHL) to allow them both to progress. And again, it's a competition - we just need one of them to take a step forward and run with the backup role.

By the way, Rittich was 5-1-2, .927, 2.20 before Smith got hurt.

* .585 winning percentage is 96 point pace. If your backups give you that, and your starter gives you better than that, then you are in the playoffs guaranteed, and probably higher in the standings.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #62
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
There are always things to worry about, but this isn’t one of them. Have you seen Gaudreau’s reactions when he scores a big goal? The guy’s about as passionate as they come.
By no means am I saying that 23 or 13 are ok with losing, but showing passion when things are good, is very different then getting jacked up, and dragging your team to a win when things are bad.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #63
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Still missing 20-30 goals off the roster I think. Hopefully good enough for top 16.
Just looking at the top 12 forwards, the change in personnel vs. last year adds 26 goals (using last year's production). And that includes Czarnik, who had 0G and 4 apples.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #64
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Just looking at the top 12 forwards, the change in personnel vs. last year adds 26 goals (using last year's production). And that includes Czarnik, who had 0G and 4 apples.
halfway there
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #65
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year, despite a good offensive season from Hamilton, the D only generated 40G 106A 146Pts.

Gio had an average year (offensively), Brodie had an off year, Hamonic had an off year, and Stone's numbers were way down.

I expect to D to (easily) improve on last year's numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #66
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
halfway there
That's just last year's numbers. Going down the lineup, it is pretty easy to see lots of room for improvement.

If Neal plays on the top line, they have a legitimate shot at 100 goals (30-40-30)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #67
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't see the point of a journeyman backup at all.

Rittich and Gillies were fine as backups last year, considering they were both rookies. Combined, their numbers were: 25 starts, 11-11-4 record, 2.90 GAA, .902 SPG. If we went out and grabbed one of the journeymen out there, could we expect a whole lot better?

Also, goalies have to learn how to play in the NHL - it's a progression. For their 1st seasons, they weren't bad, and expecting some progression this year does not seem unreasonable or overly optimistic. Plus, they need to actually play in order to progress. What do we need from them?

30 starts, with at least: .585 record* (16-11-3), .910 SPG, 2.50 GAA. Is that too much progression to ask for? I don't think so, considering there are 2 of them, and they are going to have to compete for those starts.

50 starts from Smith, and 30 starts from the backups, would be perfect, IMO. And that should be enough games (combined with games in the AHL) to allow them both to progress. And again, it's a competition - we just need one of them to take a step forward and run with the backup role.

By the way, Rittich was 5-1-2, .927, 2.20 before Smith got hurt.

* .585 winning percentage is 96 point pace. If your backups give you that, and your starter gives you better than that, then you are in the playoffs guaranteed, and probably higher in the standings.
The narrative has become that Rittich fell apart after Smith's injury but I saw it differently. I saw him have one awful individual game against the Golden Knights, yes, but also a bunch of games where he played well and the team took bad penalties or allowed two-on-oh's where I would have expected Smith to falter. Rittich arguably played the best game of his career during Boston @ Calgary for instance, even though it was a loss, and also gave us an excellent game @ Nashville.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #68
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The narrative has become that Rittich fell apart after Smith's injury but I saw it differently. I saw him have one awful individual game against the Golden Knights, yes, but also a bunch of games where he played well and the team took bad penalties or allowed two-on-oh's where I would have expected Smith to falter. Rittich arguably played the best game of his career during Boston @ Calgary for instance, even though it was a loss, and also gave us an excellent game @ Nashville.
What was the combined goal output for the flames in ritich/gillies starts last year?

I'm going to wager it was dismal.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #69
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
halfway there
Only if we don't expect any improvement at all from the powerplay this year. If the Flames powerplay is even only average I think it is fair to expect an additional 15 goals, which would put them in range of the Stanley Cup champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
This is a huge season for Jankowski and Bennett.

Rehearsal time is over, it’s showtime! They need to take that leap with no excuses.

Their amelioration or lack thereof will have a sizable impact on the Flames offensive production and contender status.
Definitely. And I think the team needs the improvement more from Jankowski than Bennett.

If Jankowski progresses (and he is going to get better linemates), that allows Lindholm to play wing, which really deepens the roster.

IMO, Bennett is starting the season outside the top 9 on the depth charts, behind: Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal, Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm, Jankowski, Ryan, and Frolik. Plus, Czarnik, Foo, Mangiapane and Dube all have the potential to push their way into the top 9.

If Bennett can't push his way up the lineup, this is his last season as a Flame. He should be able to though - he should be able to pass Frolik and Ryan at a minimum. But if he doesn't, he's probably gone.

Edit: and if he does progress and push his way above Frolik and Ryan, pushing them down to the 4th line, the Flames are one of the deepest teams in the league.

Last edited by Enoch Root; 07-07-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #71
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I think there were some great games in there and some not so great games. However, I can't remember the games well enough to comment on the circumstances that produced Rittich's inconsistency.

I'll disregard the games where Rittich didn't face a significant amount of shots.

> or = to .915 => 10 starts
> or = to .900 => 11 starts
< or = to .900 => 5 starts
< or = to .800 => 2 starts

Mar 24, SJS -> .838
Mar 9, Ott -> .967
Mar 7, Buff -> .962
Feb 28, Colo -> .879
Feb 21, Vgk -> .731
Feb 19, Bos -> .938
Feb 17, Fla -> .733
Feb 15, Nsh - > .906
Feb 13, Bos -> .897
Feb 8, Njd -> .938
Jan 25, Edm -> .919
Jan 12, Fla -> .953
Dec 28, Sjs -> .938
Dec 17, Van -> .941
Dec 7, Mtl -> .946
Nov 25, Col -> .923

So I guess in 16 games in which he faced a decent number of shots, Rittich gave the team pretty decent numbers. 10/16 times he was over .915. He did have 2 disastrous games but in general was much more likely to be good.

Perhaps I'm wrong about not trusting Rittich. Thanks for the post.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #72
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backup goal tenders need to be rust proof.
Not every goalie can sit for several games then come in and play top level. I think this was Gillies issue. Rittich seemed fine and makes the better back up going by our limited viewing.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #73
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm way more optimistic about Rittich than most. I saw a goalie who took a very big step into an NHL back up position and played calm and well. Progressing as the season went on, looking more and more confident.

Then Mike Smith went down and he was thrown into the starters role and sank. If that starter gig hadn't been forced on him so early in his NHL career I think we'd be sitting here talking an elite back up season.

I think he'll really surprise in a back up role this season, with a fresh restart.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #74
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Mar 9, Ott -> .967
Mar 7, Buff -> .962
Feb 28, Colo -> .879
Feb 21, Vgk -> .731
Feb 19, Bos -> .938
Feb 17, Fla -> .733
Feb 15, Nsh - > .906
Feb 13, Bos -> .897
These were the games Smith was out. What I remember:

@Bos - Team played horrible, didn't give Rittich much of a chance
@Nashville - Rittich had a strong game, but made a rookie mistake zipping the puck up the middle.
Florida - Flames outplayed, Rittich could have been better
Boston - Best game I've seen Rittich play. Best player on the ice, too.
Vegas - Flames deserved to win, but Rittich struggled.
Colorado - Rittich kept the team in it for a while, but the damn broke with a bad Tkachuk penalty and a MacKinnon snipe, followed by a backdoor tapin on the rush. Rittich maybe could have been a bit mentally tougher but the team played bad in front of him, fullstop.
Buffalo/Ottawa - good bounceback games for Rittich

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #75
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Everything.

Worry about everything.

It's never too early to let panic set in.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 07-07-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #76
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

There really are no other experienced goaltender options out there that haven't already been mentioned, well besides Ondrej Pavelec or hometown boy Jeff Glass.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #77
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

What avout trading for a young backup with starter potential?
Old 07-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #78
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
What avout trading for a young backup with starter potential?
Like a Rittich or Gilles, or someone with a higher ceiling like a Parsons?
Old 07-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #79
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

More like someone who has had success at the nhl level, really liked grubeaur but what about saros out of Nashville?
Old 07-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #80
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
More like someone who has had success at the nhl level, really liked grubeaur but what about saros out of Nashville?
Do you imagine that Nashville with their soon-to-be-36-year-old starter are in a hurry to move their established, young #2 goalie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote