Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default getting own domain with email capability

Considering changing my home internet provider (currently with Shaw) so now I’m faced with the issue of having a new email address. (Yes, I also have a Gmail address but it seems like it’s always good to have at least two emails for recovery purposes, etc.) So, I am thinking of purchasing my own domain with email capability so that I don’t ever have to deal with this issue again. Looks like I can get a domain with an email for about $10 - $15 per year. Is this a good idea? Will I be able to run my domain email through the Gmail app on my android phone? Thanks for any help/ideas you can offer.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm far from an expert in this area but purchasing the domain is just the first step I think. You'd have to set up a local email server and frankly, that can be a bit of a PITA. I'd wager setting up a second gmail account for recovery would be far more simple.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
Terradude
Draft Pick

It's actually very easy. You can buy the domain name and then host your email at Google. The only thing remotely difficult is pointing a redirect so that the email portion of the domain points towards the Google servers - 5 mins of reading and you're there.
Terradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

There ya go!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

After I switched from Shaw I just went with an Outlook email address. Couldn't be happier.

You'll still be able to use your Shaw one even after cancellation as well, but I shifted away from using mine anyway
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
After I switched from Shaw I just went with an Outlook email address. Couldn't be happier.

You'll still be able to use your Shaw one even after cancellation as well, but I shifted away from using mine anyway
Yup. Don't over-think it. Just get an Outlook account and be done with it. Don't be fooled, setting up and running your own email isn't cool nor fun. Plus, it costs money.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're dead set on your own domain though Google G Suite would be the easiest way. Costs something like $10 a month though, plus the $20 or so a year for the domain itself. Really not worth it for personal use but if your plan is to use it for your business it's not bad.

Honestly though, Outlook and Google are probably the 2 best email services you can get anyway

Last edited by btimbit; 03-01-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah Google's going to cost some $$. There are cheaper options out there for just email hosting.

https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email/
https://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/webmail/pricing

What I do is I have a few different email addresses (one from my ISP, a business one, a personal one, a few other business ones I've accumulated over the years), and I forward them all into my Gmail email address. I've set them up so I can send from them as well, so I only ever have to ever use one email client. Takes a bit of configuring, but it's pretty handy, and I can use Gmail as my mail client regardless of which service is doing my email hosting.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #9
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Will update once I decide how to proceed.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use Zoho for my business. it's $3/month. Seems to work well.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

btimbit: You'll still be able to use your Shaw one even after cancellation as well, but I shifted away from using mine anyway.

Really? For how long?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were looking to do this I'd probably use easydns. They are Canadian, and have hosted email.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
btimbit: You'll still be able to use your Shaw one even after cancellation as well, but I shifted away from using mine anyway.

Really? For how long?

You can pay them a small amount and continue with just email indefinitely, as far as I remember.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post

Really? For how long?

I'm not sure exactly. It's been a year and a half for me and I still have access to it. Havent paid a cent. Still get Shaw emails to my Gmail app and also can log into Shaw's webmail page with no issues.

I just don't think I can change my password at all since that was through their 'my shaw account' page which i obviously I can't get into without being a shaw customer. So if I ever lose it or shaw resets it for some reason then I wouldn't be able to get back in.

That's how it appears to me at least. I have no inside knowledge of how it all works
Old 03-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Interesting. Good to know, thank you.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You cost depends if you want anything on your website or not. Buying a domain is typically USD $12/year. On top of that then you have 2 options for emails:

You can use Gsuite or Microsoft 365 for email hosting. I think both options there are around USD$5 a month. This cost is typically for 1 email address only.

This route I would purchase through Google Domains.

If you want something on your website, then you need web hosting which will provide email hosting free. You can have unlimited email addresses with this option. Website hosting runs around USD$12/month

I recommend Siteground. This option I believe will also provide your first year of domain registration.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #17
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

There are downsides to hosting your email with a shared web hosting provider. The biggest one is if someone else on the shared hosting starts using their account to send spam, you'll end up black listed along with them. This has happened to me a number of different times on large shared hosting providers (enough that I moved my email hosting for that exact reason).

Not all web hosting providers have good expertise in email hosting as well, and I've run into plenty of technical issues and outages that the providers struggled to deal with.

Just a few things to keep in mind. For a personal domain name for personal email it might not matter, but email addresses are so key to doing things these days with personal banking and security..
Old 03-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #18
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have a need for the Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook.com Premium is included with an Office 365 Home subscription (and you can share it with up to five family members). Outlook.com partners with GoDaddy so you can buy a domain to use with your Outlook.com account or add an existing GoDaddy domain that you already own.

Otherwise you can buy Outlook.com Premium separately and get a custom GoDaddy domain linked to it that way.

That would be my choice because I really like the Outlook EUX overall.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Making your own mail server is a total PITA and very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Just go with Outlook.com and Godaddy. Cheap and it works. SPF records all get setup properly and it makes it impossible for you to something stupid like set up an SMTP relay on an external IP address.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #20
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Sometimes you end up with other organizations outright rejecting your messages if all the appropriate records aren't configured. Had a few small customers with their own Exchange servers run into that issue because their operations staff hadn't done all the previously 'optional' configuration items that became mandatory over the last several years.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: