Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Chicken and egg??
Poor musician blaming his instrument?
Passing the buck?
"Not my fault"ism?

Elliott Before Sigalet - .930 SV% 2.07 GAA

After Sigalet - .910 SV% 2.55 GAA
Check out his numbers with the Flyers. They must have a really bad goalie coach.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #4082
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Gillies and Parsons weren't considered to be crap going in. Elliott was considered to be a competent goalie (sure behind a good D but still).
It's too early to judge Gillies or Parsons. I was talking about the veteran goalies that Treliving has acquired.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #4083
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

About the only thing I have noticed with our goalies that may be coaching related is how a few of them adopted the belly flop approach to stopping shots in close. That drove me nuts when I'd see Hiller do it and it drives me nuts to see Smith try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #4084
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The one thing I really haven’t seen in the Sigalet conversation is comparables, it seems very much to be viewed at in a bubble which I don’t think allows us to really form a solid opinion one way or another.

The only other goalie coach with a fairly noticeable trend attached to them is Sean Burke, but outside of him, what sort of results do other coaches get? Our situation is fairly unique, considering the rotating crop of unproven or past prime goaltenders that have come through. Philly is obviously a comparable just due to their struggles, but how does Sigalet compare to other goalie coaches?

You’d still have questions about how much results are due to pure talent or a lack thereof, but I’d be interested to see it.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #4085
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
About the only thing I have noticed with our goalies that may be coaching related is how a few of them adopted the belly flop approach to stopping shots in close. That drove me nuts when I'd see Hiller do it and it drives me nuts to see Smith try it.
Yup and after the flop, the puck goes through the 5-hole. Smith is tall and does not drop far enough.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #4086
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Check out his numbers with the Flyers. They must have a really bad goalie coach.
Kim Dillabaugh (who, acording to hockeyDB, played 14 games for the Hitmen in '96)

Another coach with no NHL playing experience. Coincidence?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #4087
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Ottawa would trade us duchene.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Duchene-Bennett would be a nasty top 6
Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #4088
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

I don’t see a deal there. We have a good group of young defencemen. So do they. I think they need forwards in a trade. We don’t really have much to spare as far as F go. Frolik? Hathaway?

I’d rather keep them for playoff depth since that’s not near enough to get a guy like Duchene. Calgary is going on a long run once they figure things out.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #4089
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

They might, but you'd have to offer something major.

It would likely have to include Bennett.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #4090
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
They might, but you'd have to offer something major.

It would likely have to include Bennett.
I doubt it'll cost as much as you think. Duchene is a FA at the end of this year, and it's going to have to be a helluva (so far so good) year in Ottawa for him to want to stick around.

Also not much of a game-breaker anymore. He'd be a great guy to have in your top 9, but the price has to be right.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #4091
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Sigalet gets no more goalies.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #4092
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The one thing I really haven’t seen in the Sigalet conversation is comparables, it seems very much to be viewed at in a bubble which I don’t think allows us to really form a solid opinion one way or another.

The only other goalie coach with a fairly noticeable trend attached to them is Sean Burke, but outside of him, what sort of results do other coaches get? Our situation is fairly unique, considering the rotating crop of unproven or past prime goaltenders that have come through. Philly is obviously a comparable just due to their struggles, but how does Sigalet compare to other goalie coaches?

You’d still have questions about how much results are due to pure talent or a lack thereof, but I’d be interested to see it.
I'm of the thought that while Sigalet is the common factor and the easiest thing to point a finger at, it's not like we've had up and coming stars needing some time to prove their worth. If anything it's been a string of disappointment, older guys on the tail end of their careers and the like.

Even before this season, knowing Smith's age and play it wasn't going to be surprising that he could have a string of pretty bad games. He'll turn it around at some point and look unbeatable but those highs will be shorter and these lows even longer.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #4093
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I doubt it'll cost as much as you think. Duchene is a FA at the end of this year, and it's going to have to be a helluva (so far so good) year in Ottawa for him to want to stick around.

Also not much of a game-breaker anymore. He'd be a great guy to have in your top 9, but the price has to be right.
At the trade deadline a guy like him would go for a first round pick++ easily.

You want him for the rest of the year, it will cost you more.

Ottawa has no motivation to move him for a low return simply to help the Flames round out their top 6.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #4094
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not big on Duchene. His counting stats are impressive, but the guy is not a winner. IMO he was a big part of the reason why the Avs had that horrible season.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #4095
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be more inclined to blame Sigalet if the goalies all changed their style to something common (that wasn't working). But each guy has had different issues. Ramo was wild and took himself out of position. Hiller played too standard positionally, playing the odds, and didn't really fight for the puck. Elliott was somewhat the same way. Johnson had a weak glove. Gillies has trouble down low at the corner of the net - not really strong on the post. Smith tends to be too erratic in his movements, and is a bit slow across the crease. He plays a bit deep and relies on athleticism (which is probably not wise for an aging goalie).

On the other hand Sigalet doesn't really seem to be able to fix on a solution either. He doesn't seem to have a trademark style, like Allaire.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #4096
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I'm of the thought that while Sigalet is the common factor and the easiest thing to point a finger at, it's not like we've had up and coming stars needing some time to prove their worth. If anything it's been a string of disappointment, older guys on the tail end of their careers and the like.
Not quite:

Ramo was 27-29 yrs old while he was here. He was also considered the top goalie outside the NHL at the time.

Berra was 26 and coming off a Euro league championship the year he was here.

Ortio was just 22 and considered a good enough prospect that management didn't want to lose him on waivers.

3 guys under 30 - 2 of which probably needed a little more time at the time.

Yes, they are all out of the league now. Will we be saying the same things about Gillies & Parsons if they don't pan out and are out of the league in 2 years?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #4097
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I still think Ramo puts up a good next season if he hadn’t been injured.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #4098
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'd be more inclined to blame Sigalet if the goalies all changed their style to something common (that wasn't working). But each guy has had different issues. Ramo was wild and took himself out of position. Hiller played too standard positionally, playing the odds, and didn't really fight for the puck. Elliott was somewhat the same way. Johnson had a weak glove. Gillies has trouble down low at the corner of the net - not really strong on the post. Smith tends to be too erratic in his movements, and is a bit slow across the crease. He plays a bit deep and relies on athleticism (which is probably not wise for an aging goalie).

On the other hand Sigalet doesn't really seem to be able to fix on a solution either. He doesn't seem to have a trademark style, like Allaire.
RE the bold type: Shouldn't the goalie coach A) recognize these, and B) work towards correcting them with the player?

Are you saying that the goalies are not listening/respecting/learning from the goalie coach? Then why have him?

This is where I think a former player would work best as the goalie coach.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #4099
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
RE the bold type: Shouldn't the goalie coach A) recognize these, and B) work towards correcting them with the player?

Are you saying that the goalies are not listening/respecting/learning from the goalie coach? Then why have him?

This is where I think a former player would work best as the goalie coach.
You didn't read the second part.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #4100
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Yup and after the flop, the puck goes through the 5-hole. Smith is tall and does not stop enough pucks.
also this.
Closed Thread