Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #4001
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I don’t agree with Backlund Socks... ever. But you guys are making his point.

He doesn’t agree, says something contrary and guys keep taking runs at him. What does he do? Stand his ground or cower? The way some people respond to others, the optics appear to be to create an argument and be-little rather than have a discussion.

CP is a DISCUSSION board/community.
It would be less infuriating if I didn't have to try and decipher each post.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #4002
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brodie absolutely gets you a top 6 guy. But I think others are fooling only themselves if they think he hasn't been struggling mightily the last 2 seasons.

He has his little streaks of playing good...4-5 games and then hits a 10 game lull. For a guy playing that many minutes it's not a recipe for success.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #4003
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would trade Brodie for a true shutdown big physical Dman.I wish we could clone Regehr.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #4004
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Ok then, why doesn't Brodie get you a top 6 guy?

Is it because he's a workhorse that leads the Flames in TOI? Or is it because he's our leading scorer on defense? His value to the Flames, whether you like it or not, has to get you a top 6 guy or your team is going backwards.

Brodie is a top 4 defenseman on most teams. If that doesn't get you a top 6 guy in a trade, while dealing from a position of strength, then you've lost that trade.
Brodie has the worst plus minus on the team doesn’t he? He did last week I believe. Also his decision making with the puck is suspect. His positioning defensively has been suspect, and he has been the benefactor of being on the 1st unit PP with JG and Monny. Hence his assists.

Brodie has been terrible 5v5 by my eye this year.

I remember bringing up trading Brodie for Landeskog this summer and I got ripped apart and ridiculed on this board and it was completely unfounded. All I did was brought a different opinion..

Now.. we would be lucky to get Landeskog for Brodie IMO.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #4005
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
I would trade Brodie for a true shutdown big physical Dman.I wish we could clone Regehr.
Is that not the purpose of Hamonic?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #4006
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He is no Regehr!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #4007
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I remember bringing up trading Brodie for Landeskog this summer and I got ripped apart and ridiculed on this board and it was completely unfounded. All I did was brought a different opinion..

Now.. we would be lucky to get Landeskog for Brodie IMO.
I actually like this deal for both sides... I have a feeling he has a ton of dressing room/leadership value though and if I was Colorado, Landeskog and MacKinnon would be the two untouchables.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #4008
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brodie for Evander Kane?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #4009
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie seems to struggle when he has a partner he doesn't mesh with.
With Gio - great
With Wideman - bad
With Stone - great
With Hamonic - not so good
He was even pretty good with Engelland when Gio was hurt.
Just put him back with Stone already.
I think Hamonic will be a valuable guy for us but I wish we didn't do that trade TBH.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #4010
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So would I, but look around the league, there aren't many left that are true shutdown defenseman.

Regehr was truly a special d man.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #4011
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Brodie seems to struggle when he has a partner he doesn't mesh with.
With Gio - great
With Wideman - bad
With Stone - great
With Hamonic - not so good
He was even pretty good with Engelland when Gio was hurt.
Just put him back with Stone already.
I think Hamonic will be a valuable guy for us but I wish we didn't do that trade TBH.
Why do we need to keep finding partners for Brodie? If he needs a special partner maybe he needs to go down the lineup.

Hamonic has been fine and Brodie hasn't been. Maybe Hamonic Stone and Brodie Kulak on the third pairing.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #4012
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Brodie should still have significant value but if I were the Flames I'd do it quickly because the way he's played for the better part of 2 seasons I don't think that value will last very long.

He's brought down every single partner he's been paired with for 2 seasons.
Yeah Brodie really dragged Wideman to the bottom of a lake.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #4013
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-Down View Post
Brodie for Evander Kane?
Thats tough - where would Kane fit? Bennett would have to go, as he is the weakest link. Or do you plan a Jagr replacement, assuming Kane signs an extension in Calgary.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #4014
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
So would I, but look around the league, there aren't many left that are true shutdown defenseman.

Regehr was truly a special d man.
Yes he was one of a kind in his prime.Im just dreaming but it would be nice to find one.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #4015
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Its because he sucks at his job as a defencemen and he's not exactly karlson on the offence.
Excellent point.

I never said he was Karlsson. Karlsson doesn't get you a top 6 guy - he gets you a franchise first line guy. Brodie is top 20 for defense in scoring. Look at the company he's in, you don't believe that's worth a top 6 guy? If Brodie was a forward he'd be top 100 for scoring in the league. To replace his point production alone you'd need a top 6 guy.

On the back end if we were to give up Brodie that would mean more minutes for Bartkowski. So now you've downgraded your back end defensively, you've taken away scoring form your team and all you get in return is a bottom line guy? Sorry, I disagree. That's a bad trade.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #4016
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course Brodie gets you a "top 6" guy. Those aren't that hard to come by. Question is whether he gets you a top forward that makes this team significantly better.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #4017
theg69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Its because he sucks at his job as a defencemen and he's not exactly karlson on the offence.
I think Brodie is taking way too much flak here - that's a significant hyperbole.
Yes, we can agree that he has struggled - but there is nothing to indicate that he "sucks" at his job.

I don't think posters are taking offense to your contrarian viewpoint - it is more how you structure your arguments - you argue with "absolutes" and "hyperboles". Furthermore, there is an antagonistic tone here. I'm just trying to give you some constructive criticism. I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion - but we shouldn't have to shove it down each other's throats.

I am pretty sure that having 14 pts and ranked 16th for points indicate that you don't "suck" at what you do. There are 31 teams in the league - so this indicates that at least offensive production-wise - he can still be considered top-pairing. I also think defensively he struggles because he is not put into a position where he can succeed - Hamonic has struggled - and Brodie has not looked truly comfortable on the left side.

I still think that Brodie would net a significant return as a trade chip - in part because he is still on a reasonable contract - and top 4 d-men that can play on your top pair are valuable.

I mean - I know offense isn't everything but Brodie at 20 games this year struggling - still only has 4 less points that Larsson did with the Devils in 82 games before he was traded for Hall. Unless you think Larsson's defensive prowess makes up for that gap - that would lead me to believe that if the Flames shop Brodie - they can reasonably expect to get at least a top 6 forward +/- prospect/draft pick (depending on the forward involved).

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit - but I really don't think its the contrarian viewpoint that gets piled on in CP - its more the tone that these posters tend to take when making their point.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to theg69 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #4018
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames have Gio, Hamonic and Stone to play the physical roles. Brodie and Hamilton are to be the offensive minded puck movers that can skate you out of trouble in your own end, and jump in the rush going the other way.

If Treliving ever traded Brodie for a Regehr type d-man (which he won't), it wouldn't be very long before people would be lamenting the lack of the offensive and skating skills.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #4019
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Excellent point.

I never said he was Karlsson. Karlsson doesn't get you a top 6 guy - he gets you a franchise first line guy. Brodie is top 20 for defense in scoring. Look at the company he's in, you don't believe that's worth a top 6 guy? If Brodie was a forward he'd be top 100 for scoring in the league. To replace his point production alone you'd need a top 6 guy.

On the back end if we were to give up Brodie that would mean more minutes for Bartkowski. So now you've downgraded your back end defensively, you've taken away scoring form your team and all you get in return is a bottom line guy? Sorry, I disagree. That's a bad trade.
I'll concede, you arguement is valid. Top 6 but no chance for a top 3.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #4020
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to say it, but the most expendable guy on defense might be the one that has the third highest trade value on the entire team.

With brodie-stone, and gio-anybody being so solid, and Andersson being the most nhl ready prospect on the right side... dougie can get you all of your picks back, and a player to help now.

I don't see a major trade happening though.

Also, as an aside...

Backlunds socks, if you want to become a positive legend around here, we can build a dedicated thread to your trolling other teams forums. I think that you could be a monster at that, considering how riled up you get people here, without even trying.