Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #2001
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Comparables aside, why would a player sign a year earlier than they have too? Especially when they are young, on an upward trajectory, and on their entry level deal.

Tkachuk wasn’t signing anything except maybe a ridiculous overpayment.

Financial security in case of injury or drop off. Also to eliminate distractions.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #2002
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Also to eliminate distractions.
Good point. With the deal signed, Tkachuk could have buckled right down to work in his contract year so he could get a nice big new c… oops.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #2003
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
While the team looks good right now, i still have concerns about Treliving's cap management and the team's overall approach to goaltenders. Team currently has 6k in cap space according to capfriendly. Makes adds at the deadline pretty difficult...
No. The Flames currently have more than $4 m of deadline cap-space. They likely won’t be making any deals between now and February, so I would expect there will be plenty of room to do something if they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 12-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #2004
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While the team looks good right now, i still have concerns about Treliving's cap management and the team's overall approach to goaltenders. Team currently has 6k in cap space according to capfriendly. Makes adds at the deadline pretty difficult.

Hell of an rfa negotiator though, really hope he can work some magic on tkachuk after failing to negotiate with him in the off season when his demand was 7m aav. Would feel alot better if we had him locked up at say 6.5 longterm...if tkachuck holds out or we end up losing a key piece because of his overspending in ufa then he'll be feeling some heat...but not yet.

Side note, I think Crawford would be a great fit in goal for us. Lots of folks don't consider him a top goalie but he is a winner and winning is what its all about. 1.5 years 6m per, how can we make it work?

There are a few certainties in a cap world.

Very good teams will always have some cap issues.

Very good teams likely will have to make certain tough choices and sometimes be forced to trade decent players.

All teams will have some flaws. The restrictions placed on teams due to a hard cap practically guarantees that teams cannot cover every possible situation, resulting in some weakness for every team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #2005
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Alright boys n girls. I don't need you to explain how the cap effects good teams. Every good team does not lose good players. Tampa anyone? Tre has made mistakes and it's a fair point to criticize him on them. Good teams also sign good players on occasion. Is there a single player brought in on ufa, currently on the team, that is helping us win right now? Ryan? Maybe?
Old 12-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #2006
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. The Flames currently have more than $4 m of deadline cap-space. They likely won’t be making any deals between now and February, so I would expect there will be plenty of room to do something if they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barring more call ups
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #2007
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I was of the opinion before the season that this year, playoffs was mandatory for Treliving.

A few things have happened since then.
Lindholm and Hanifin are a huge upgrade on the ice.
The RFA contracts for them are tremendous value. Considering the term and dollars for Johnny and Monahan, there are some great, great players with far less cap contribution than their on ice value would warrant.
Peters has the D mobilized for a deadly transition game, has resurrected Brodie’s game
Peters also seems to have given the top line free rein as long as they improve play without the puck, and they are one of the top 3 in the league
That knucklehead GM in Toronto just broke RFA contracts which make Tre’s recent signings look more like wizardry

Yep, if this year was a flop, I think Tre would be in trouble. But the worst case scenario associated with his moves did not materialize, rather they have pretty much been better than imagined.

It was a bumpy rebuild, and the last two years were a mess, but this year we have a team playing like they should on paper, and better. Love it.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #2008
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This and the did we not give up on Bennett fast enough thread are two of the dumbest big threads on this board from the past couple years.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #2009
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
This and the did we not give up on Bennett fast enough thread are two of the dumbest big threads on this board from the past couple years.
No they are not. It is absolutely ok to question Treliving regarding the goalie situation since he arrived as well as some high dollar free agent signings that went south in a big hurry.

No one should be beyond reproach.

Treliving has been great but he has some warts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #2010
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
No they are not. It is absolutely ok to question Treliving regarding the goalie situation since he arrived as well as some high dollar free agent signings that went south in a big hurry.

This. It has very much been a "Treliving needs to feel some heat" thread, not "Treliving is the suckiest fire him now" thread.

Quote:
Is there a single player brought in on ufa, currently on the team, that is helping us win right now? Ryan? Maybe?
Neal is playong well and helping us win. He's massively overpaid, but stil a very clear net benefit.

Frolik would be helping us win if he wasn't injured. Czarnik is okay. Ryan as you said has been fine.

Does Rittich count?

(That said, UFA isn't Trelivings strength, clearly.)

Last edited by Itse; 12-09-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #2011
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

No one’s perfect. He’s certainly made mistakes. Doesn’t excuse the vast quantity of idiocy in this thread calling for his head at times.

He’s still the best GM we’ve had in my time of following the Flanes for 25 years. Questioning the guy is fine. Calling for him to be fired over any one particular mistake while ignoring the rest of his body of work is shortsighted and dumb and happened over and over in this thread from some impatient, emotional fans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #2012
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad's sleeping well with all these goals and PPG players everywhere.

The man's done a damn fine job.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #2013
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Sure, but how much "heat" should he be under as of today? Treliving very well could win the GM of the Year award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #2014
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Much like Cliff Fletcher, treliving may have made this generation's franchise defining trade.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #2015
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give this man an extension. His biggest weakness is Free agency but his trades, RFA signings have been elite while his drafting has been promising (Bennett, Andersson, Kylington, Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Valimaki, Dube) all playing with the big team this year.

One thing I was a little worried about with this team was the lack of high picks coming out of the rebuild. Only picked 4th once and 6th twice. The Hamilton trade this summer brought in 2 more 5th overall guys from the start of the rebuild. It is amazing that we got the 2015 playoff run, which included a round 1 win against the Canucks, and then still wind up with Noah Hanifin is unreal.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #2016
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every GM has hits and misses. And Tree hits far out impact the misses.

And while Neal hasn't contributed on the scoresheet as much as we had hoped so far. I'd bet some fair sums his locker room presence has settled them down a bunch.

Collectively this may be the best assembled team we will see since the 80's/early 90's.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #2017
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Sure, but how much "heat" should he be under as of today? Treliving very well could win the GM of the Year award.
This is a public forum.You are going to get all kinds of reactions.

10 to 15% are going to defend him to the end of the earth.

10 to 15% will ask for his head.

Ignore the two extremes and don't get your panties in a knot. Trying to tell them how to post or how they should react just derails the thread.

Just ignore. We shouldn't even need an ignore button for that.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #2018
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Much like Cliff Fletcher, treliving may have made this generation's franchise defining trade.
I wonder, can he do it again?

Trade another 1st + two 2nd's like he did for Dougie Hamilton and Travis Hamonic.

I think adding another core piece would certainly be worth Calgary's 2019/2020 1st rounder + 2020 & 2021 2nd rounders.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #2019
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I wonder, can he do it again?

Trade another 1st + two 2nd's like he did for Dougie Hamilton and Travis Hamonic.

I think adding another core piece would certainly be worth Calgary's 2019/2020 1st rounder + 2020 & 2021 2nd rounders.
I think the only thing I would support that trade for would be an elite starting goalie.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #2020
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alright boys n girls. I don't need you to explain how the cap effects good teams. Every good team does not lose good players. Tampa anyone? Tre has made mistakes and it's a fair point to criticize him on them. Good teams also sign good players on occasion. Is there a single player brought in on ufa, currently on the team, that is helping us win right now? Ryan? Maybe?
Who have the Flames lost?

Frolik says hi. Also, even though he isn't scoring right now, Neal is helping us win. As are Ryan and Czarnik. You don't have to be a first liner to be helping the team.
Closed Thread