Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #81
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
You know, I personally would love to see him stay in Calgary because I am used to you guys, and I am used to him playing here- and I love the whole team at this point. However, if they do decide to trade him, I would love to see him to go to the Leafs. But then again, I don't want to have to make up another handle on another message board and get to know 100,000 plus more annoying fans that talk out their butt trumpets every time he farts the wrong way... So I guess he's just gonna have to stay in Calgary. That's that.
Frankly, I am shocked that you kept showing up in GTs and putting up with the garbage that was being written about him. You're a better person than I am.

I am happy for you, and especially for him, to see how well he is playing, and how the fanbase - even the worst of the fanbase - has come around and are appreciating his good play.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #82
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no other defencemen on the roster that is doing what Brodie is doing - elite transition and playmaking ability from the blue line. He is also playing really well defensively. Brodie makes the Flames a heck of a lot faster both with his skating and his ability to make amazing passes consistently. The Flames look like a lot more of a dangerous team with him going like he is.

Hartley was successful as a coach here because the Flames played hard, but also because they had a lightning fast transition that ended up catching a lot of teams. He is Calgary's 2nd most valuable defencemen next to Giordano. I can't see Brodie getting traded. Even if somehow another defencemen supplants Brodie on the right side there, with his salary he is still a good deal as a 2nd pairing defencemen.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #83
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's time to bump this thread.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to keep Brodie or Hamonic as I think we cannot keep both on the team without allowing the likes of Valimaki, Andersson, and Hanifin to develop as top 4 defenders.

TJ Brodie definitely has had some off years and was dealing with some personal issues on the side. However, he looks like the top d-man that we have been awaiting for in a long time. And, with Gio having an off year after his great Norris season in 2019, I feel like Brodie has been the most consistent d-man of the 19-20 season. I think, with the right deal, Brodie should re-sign with the team.

Hamonic has not been the d-man that we acquired. He's been far too inconsistent. While he has been a great presence in Calgary both on and off the ice, he does not seem like the guy we should retain. He is going to want money and term. Given that we have not heard much from both sides, it looks as if he wants to choose his next destination.

The question is: Can Brodie continue being a top 4 defenseman without Giordano? Giordano isn't getting any younger and we need to really know if Brodie is worth another 5-6 years with the flaming C.

Thoughts on re-signing Brodie? I put this in the appreciation thread because I am of the opinion that he is playing some great hockey and should be re-signed, if he is wanting to of course.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 12-25-2019 at 06:35 PM.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #84
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with pretty much everything above and I have been hard on Brodie in the past but he is not making those blunders anymore. He has been solid. Hamonic on the other hand has been poo. Big smelly poo.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #85
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone

Pretty easy top-six next year right there.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #86
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone

Pretty easy top-six next year right there.
No room for Killington?
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #87
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Is Kylington one of the top three left defensemen when everyone is healthy? I think he could be dealt as part of an upgrade up front.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #88
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Is Kylington one of the top three left defensemen when everyone is healthy? I think he could be dealt as part of an upgrade up front.
He is an upgrade on Stone, imo. If he can play RD I would be more than happy to keep him. We need his wheels with how hockey is transitioning into a speed-based game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #89
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what do we speculate we could re-sign him for?
6 years x $5m?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #90
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
6 years x $5m?
I might take that deal. But I also might be tempted to go shorter term for more money. Conversely, go long-term with Andersson.

Brodie: 4 years x $6.25 million
Andersson: 8 years x $4.25 million

Might be more preferable in the long run than

Brodie: 6 years x $5 million
Andersson: 3 years x $2.75 million

I'd rather pay more for good years than pay for any years that might be bad. Just look at the Seabrook and Vlasic deals

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #91
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd keep Brodie AINEC. Hamonic has good games now and then. But a good game from Hamonic is one where you barely notice him. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's like he does barely enough just to get by and that passes as good for him. When Brodie has a ''good'' game, he's electric and can be game breaking.

Brodie is a dynamic skater and has way more offensive skill. He has his share of brain farts (although it's cut down drastically the past 2 seasons), but he can win you games and has a much larger toolset.

I also feel like Hamonic, while decent now, would have a much sharper decline then Brodie would. Reminds me of Smid. Awesome ''warrior'' type player you love sticking up for your teammates. But eventually the game will pass him by and at a much sooner age IMO. I can't see his style allowing him to play well into his 30s and being as effective as he is now, while Brodie I can see playing 1000+ games at some point and aging pretty well.

Personally I'd hope to see Hamonic traded for assets at some point while Brodie signing an extension similar to what he has now. He'd get a large contract if he ever went UFA. But hopefully he wants to settle here and is willing to take a discount.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 12-26-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #92
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
6 years x $5m?
I dont think Brodie would agree to that. Like the poster below said i would offer more money and go short term. Like 6.5*4 years. He is a player that was drafted by the team, developed in the AHL, and came to the NHL and turned into a core player. I hope he stays a Flame till the end of his career.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #93
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve come around to appreciating Brodie. His gaffes are way down this season and IMO he’s been more steady than Gio. Not sure what’s going to happen in the offseason as it seems like Treliving prioritized Hamonic which is a little strange considering he’s an inferior player that I consider one of the more overrated NHL players.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #94
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Depends on what Brodie is looking for.

This team can't afford to overpay him. All these people clamoring for Taylor Hall or whoever would need to pick.

Paying Brodie $6M or so kills other potential moves.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #95
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic has struggled this year and his stock has dropped.

Meanwhile, Brodie has played well and solidified his position.

Still a lot of hockey left, but if the season ended now, the decision would be pretty easy.

As for money, in the last 3 years, he has 36, 32 and 34 points. This year he is on pace to maybe not even get 30. That kind of production won't get him $6M, IMO. I think something in the neighbourhood of 4 X $5.5M is reasonable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #96
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
hard on Brodie
Worst nickname in hockey.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #97
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Spurgeon's deal with Minnesota prices Brodie out of town.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #98
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I think Spurgeon's deal with Minnesota prices Brodie out of town.
I disagree. Spurgeon is better than Brodie.

I compare Brodie to someone like Faulk.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Hamonic has struggled this year and his stock has dropped.

Meanwhile, Brodie has played well and solidified his position.

Still a lot of hockey left, but if the season ended now, the decision would be pretty easy.

As for money, in the last 3 years, he has 36, 32 and 34 points. This year he is on pace to maybe not even get 30. That kind of production won't get him $6M, IMO. I think something in the neighbourhood of 4 X $5.5M is reasonable.
I started the year leaning towards trading Brodie over Hamonic, mainly because of my perception of where the kids were trending and their skill-sets. I also thought Hamonic was a bit steadier, though that wasn’t a huge factor. Also, I viewed Brodie as commanding a better trade value.

However, I’m now leaning the other way. Hamonic hasn’t been as good, but more importantly, I think Andersson can fill the physical/dependable role he plays (and has a higher ceiling than peak Hamonic). I also think a lot of teams will be looking for a Hamonic type. I think the Leafs would jump at him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #100
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a few more good UFA D-men 30 yo or younger than usual?

Pietrangelo
Krug

Schultz
Barrie
Vatanen
Brodie
Ceci 26
Tanev
Muzzin 31
Hamonic
Shattenkirk 31 (current ppg slightly higher than both Pietrangelo and Krug)
Gustafsson

Then a whole bunch more vets (Mike Green, Bouwmeester, etc.) and ~ #4 guys (Bogosian, Scandella, etc.) - even this list seems longer than usual.

The group of ten is just current cap hit value (just from scrolling capfriendly); FWIW Brodie and Shattenkirk are the lowest TOI of this list (19:20), everyone else is over 20:00. Brodie's 0.34 PPG this year is higher than only Tanev, Ceci, & Hamonic, on par with Schultz and Gustafsson (aka 6th in that group of 10). Obviously those are just a quick glance at numbers...looking at past years and overall play would be far more useful.

Compared to last summer, UFA contracts over $3M:

Karlsson a lot x a lot
Myers 5x6
Chiarot 3x3.5
Gardiner 4x4.05

over age 30:
38 Hainsey 1x3.5
32 Stralman 3x3.5
33 Edler 2x6

also signed last summer:
Spurgeon 7x7.575 (actually starts this summer)
Faulk 7x6.5 (actually starts this summer)

Of course, maybe last year was just a really down year for available D-men? Even still, Gardiner didn't sign until Sep 6...

I don't know exactly where Brodie or Hamonic fit in to all of this, but I think a lot of guys will have to come off the board before they are considered the prettiest girls at the dance. The move for Tre seems pretty simple: tough but fair deals on the table for both guys (fairer to the one you want to keep more), with the understanding that they disappear if the other guy signs (or Flames sign another guy after July 1). Worst case scenario from playing hard-ball and missing out on all the RDs is that you fill your second pair with Mike Green/Bogosian/Kylington...

All that said, I hope Brodie stays on a deal more closely resembling Gardiner's than Myers (Faulk is a few years younger than all 3 of these guys so harder to compare)...~ 4x5m
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote