Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #61
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The general online consensus is that the orbi is actually a better-performing unit but a little bit more expensive.
I think it’s important to look at hops just not speed. I had the Orbi for 6 months and for me the Velop performs considerably better as a network device. The Orbi will get about 5-7% more speed when talking about downloads however that’s only noticeable when you’re below 300mbps which the majority of users see because Calgary needs better internets. Now if you have a 500mbps or faster then that gap grows.

Like I mentioned above the Orbi is a great system and I have nothing against it besides the issues I had with the wired backhaul through switches. If you have a 2 level house with no switches and everything runs wireless the Orbi is a great choice. I think you buy a mesh system for what your use is going to be. Google mesh is terrible at data transfers but is one of the highest selling mesh systems because people buy it to surf webpages and watch YouTube which it does as good as any other mesh system out there, you don’t see it’s weakness until you send a file to a computer on your system or have several devices browsing (due to no dedicated backhaul).

Networking is like buying a car I find. I had asus routers forever because they never gave me issues then I would go online and people would hate on them like no tomorrow. Then I bought a nighthawk because The online reviews said it was the cats pajamas and the thing was a nightmare with provisioning my smart home devices and would disconnect the TP-Link plugs and switches multiple times a day.

One could go crazy trying to pick “the best system available” because your needs might go against the strengths of the system.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #62
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I think it’s important to look at hops just not speed. I had the Orbi for 6 months and for me the Velop performs considerably better as a network device. The Orbi will get about 5-7% more speed when talking about downloads however that’s only noticeable when you’re below 300mbps which the majority of users see because Calgary needs better internets. Now if you have a 500mbps or faster then that gap grows.

Like I mentioned above the Orbi is a great system and I have nothing against it besides the issues I had with the wired backhaul through switches. If you have a 2 level house with no switches and everything runs wireless the Orbi is a great choice. I think you buy a mesh system for what your use is going to be. Google mesh is terrible at data transfers but is one of the highest selling mesh systems because people buy it to surf webpages and watch YouTube which it does as good as any other mesh system out there, you don’t see it’s weakness until you send a file to a computer on your system or have several devices browsing (due to no dedicated backhaul).

Networking is like buying a car I find. I had asus routers forever because they never gave me issues then I would go online and people would hate on them like no tomorrow. Then I bought a nighthawk because The online reviews said it was the cats pajamas and the thing was a nightmare with provisioning my smart home devices and would disconnect the TP-Link plugs and switches multiple times a day.

One could go crazy trying to pick “the best system available” because your needs might go against the strengths of the system.
I'm sure the velop works great for you and that's awesome. But generally speaking it seems like people agree that the orbi performs better and not just in speed. The range that I have with my orbi is almost comical. I can pick up my Wi-Fi network in my mailbox. And at fast speeds. They're both great devices
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #63
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Latest nerdiness:
1. We now have dual WAN in the house. My Shaw 300 Mbps connection on WAN 1, with WAN 2 set to use our Telus 50 Mbps connection in a failover configuration. My house is basically a test bed for my nerdy endeavors. Two IP cameras have been installed in the garage, they're sending 5MP streams with audio (8,192 kbps bitrate @ 25 fps, about 1.4 MB/sec per camera) over a wirelessly meshed UAP-AC-Mesh and still have plenty of headroom.

2. MIL wanted the same wireless system we have, because she's tired of losing connectivity in the backyard and in her home office.

Problem: The house was originally built in the 50s, then heavily reno'd in the last 10 or so years. Some of the wiring is nice and new, and some of it is... well I'm pretty sure I found a couple Cat3 10Base-T cables in the wall. And unfortunately, most of the new Cat5e wasn't run to places where we wanted to place access points.

Answer: Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapters. If you're a Telus Optik TV customer, you probably have seen these little boxes plugged into your set-top-box with an ethernet cable in one end and a coaxial cable in the other.

In layman's terms, a MoCA 2.0 adapter allows the (partial) use of RG-6 coaxial cable for IP networking, up to 1 Gbps theoretical subject to interference (of which coax is rather prone to compared to Cat5e). You have a box on either side with coax plugged into it, and Cat5e cable plugged in to your source and destination devices to complete the connection.

Why not Powerline ethernet? This house has two electrical panels. Separate circuits for the original part of the house and the new part. So from the get-go, we can't rely on PowerLine ethernet actually reaching the side of the house we want it to. Additionally, the house being split between modern wiring and old wiring means that we're at risk of even worse interference than the coax option. It's the riskiest option, arguably worse than doing exclusively wireless backhaul.

So while we can't use any of the Cat5e (or the Cat3) for installing her access points, we're using coax (of which a 1950s house is wired for extensively) for the data portion, and 24V Passive PoE injectors for powering the access points. I've already run around the house with a Coax Explorer 2 and determined which coax jacks correspond to which cable at the panel.

Three APs will cover the entire house plus the back yard. The back yard will be serviced by an ourdoor AP, which will mesh wirelessly. The Telus Actiontec router is set to bridged mode on port 1, and the Telus 2.4GHz network will be disabled to reduce interference (Telus STBs only use 5 GHz for wireless connectivity to the main DVR).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #64
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My old router is fairly unstable and it's time for a replacement. I'm in a bungalow, so coverage isn't a huge issue. I've got a TP-link repeater if necessary. I've got 3 devices requiring wired Ethernet. I'd rather not brake the bank here, so was considering the cheaper Orbi?

That or maybe the Netgear Nighthalk R7000 https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48616 since I don't really need the mesh stuff, I don't think. I don't see a lot of need for super fast wifi right now wit what we use it for, but I hate to buy stuff that needs replacing in 2 years as well.

Thoughts, other options?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #65
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My old router is fairly unstable and it's time for a replacement. I'm in a bungalow, so coverage isn't a huge issue. I've got a TP-link repeater if necessary. I've got 3 devices requiring wired Ethernet. I'd rather not brake the bank here, so was considering the cheaper Orbi?

That or maybe the Netgear Nighthalk R7000 https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48616 since I don't really need the mesh stuff, I don't think. I don't see a lot of need for super fast wifi right now wit what we use it for, but I hate to buy stuff that needs replacing in 2 years as well.

Thoughts, other options?

I'm covering 2800sqft. on 2 floors with the R7000. getting pretty much 160-170 through out. It's been running steady for a year and a half. Only time I've had to reboot is for firmware updates.

Last edited by keratosis; 09-30-2018 at 09:49 AM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #66
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with Kera there is nothing wrong with the R7000. There is more modern routers for the same price point but there is a reason that router is still holding its price and that’s because it’s still one of the best performing routers under $200.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2300 is $20 more, is that just a newer version? More features?

https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-Nighth...997828011&th=1
Old 10-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #68
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any last opinions before I order the one above? I figure for $20 more I may as well go for the newer version.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Done with Consumer WiFi solutions...

I picked up the Nighthawk from Staples a couple of months ago. Working well, and can install some of the 3rd party firmware’s like the Asus/Tomato/DDWRT. Personally think Asus works best of all of them. DDWRT didn’t work at all. Just wanted an option for whole house VPN and parental controls.

I also think Staples will price beat any other stores.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #70
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Any last opinions before I order the one above? I figure for $20 more I may as well go for the newer version.
I have not owned either (which is odd because I buy new networking systems about every 3 months) but remember newer is not always better. The 1900 has been reviewed gloriously over its lifetime and the 2300 has been reviewed just ok with some complaints of slower N speeds over short distances. I had the original nighthawk and was not a fan but the later ones were way better.

If you start creeping into that dollar value there also is a few other options out there to consider like the Asus 86u which I have yet to hear a single complaint about.

Edit: a quick look online says that the 7000p issues were resolved with a few firmware updates and there is not an issue with short burst n devices any longer. In my opinion knowing this would make me get the 7000p over the 7000 because of the small price difference but it is really not that much of an upgrade over the original spec wise.

More edit: I would personally get the a86u if I was spending 200 on a single router but I have always loved asus. If the velop system I have now was not as unbelievably stable and amazing I would be using asus mesh with two a86u routers.

Last edited by Diemenz; 10-01-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #71
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun fact about the Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD: you can buy them without the plug-in MeshPoints.

"Well, okay. But why the hell would you do that?"

Becaaaaaause you can actually squeeze better performance out of the system by buying three of the AmpliFi HD routers. You hardwire one to your modem/gateway, and then once it's configured, you can plug in the other two and use them as wired or wireless mesh APs. They generally perform much better than the two MeshPoints that the normal AmpliFi HD system comes with (and which cannot be configured with a wired backhaul).

Cost is a wee higher than the normal system ($630 for three AmpliFi HD routers vs $519 for the AmpliFi HD System with MeshPoints).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #72
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering if anyone can give some insight on mesh. If I have 150 package, would having a system like the orbi be limited to the speed of 150-170? I currently have the R7000 and for the most part has been fine. However since I upgraded to the new modem(due to bluesky, bridged), my wireless has been up and done in the house. Definitely was more consistent with the Hitron modem bridged with the R7000.

Also, is it worth going to 300 from the 150?

Thoughts on the orbi or the asus lyra, or the dlink mesh?

House is about 1800 sq ft on two floors, with the basement(where I need to have a modem/hub for the hardwired ethernet connections for each room). So I am not sure if I actually need a mesh system or just continue to use the r7000.

Last edited by soulchoice; 10-13-2018 at 01:52 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #73
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^

A mesh system won’t fix the terrible arris modem Shaw has. If you can a good connection now without any drop outs then I wouldn’t be concerned. For a mesh system to be viable it should serve a purpose (multiple devices, dead spots, full speed needed in all areas etc.)

I’m a fan of the Lyra after they fixed the backhall issues and I don’t know what D-Link you are referring to but the orbi performs top tier for net based tasks. For a simple system it is one of the best out there (it just doesn’t like switches as much as some others). The TP-Link Deco M5 is on sale at Best Buy for $250 (the same as the Lyra currently) and I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those for that price. The Velop comes in two forms a tall system that works great and a short chubby system that is ####. I bought the tall version and have loved it but not all users need that hardcore of a system and like I mentioned before the $250 price tag on the Lyra and Deco make them great buys.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #74
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
^

A mesh system won’t fix the terrible arris modem Shaw has. If you can a good connection now without any drop outs then I wouldn’t be concerned. For a mesh system to be viable it should serve a purpose (multiple devices, dead spots, full speed needed in all areas etc.)

I’m a fan of the Lyra after they fixed the backhall issues and I don’t know what D-Link you are referring to but the orbi performs top tier for net based tasks. For a simple system it is one of the best out there (it just doesn’t like switches as much as some others). The TP-Link Deco M5 is on sale at Best Buy for $250 (the same as the Lyra currently) and I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those for that price. The Velop comes in two forms a tall system that works great and a short chubby system that is ####. I bought the tall version and have loved it but not all users need that hardcore of a system and like I mentioned before the $250 price tag on the Lyra and Deco make them great buys.
Thanks for the info! Very much appreciated. I just did some tests and my DL speeds vary between 130-170 in most areas of the house. Only the bonus room goes down to about 90, so I am not sure if i truly need a mesh system at the moment. However for $250 it might not be a bad option, as thats inexpensive.

Do you have 150 or 300? Is it worth going to 300 in reality, is the big question.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #75
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Thanks for the info! Very much appreciated. I just did some tests and my DL speeds vary between 130-170 in most areas of the house. Only the bonus room goes down to about 90, so I am not sure if i truly need a mesh system at the moment. However for $250 it might not be a bad option, as thats inexpensive.

Do you have 150 or 300? Is it worth going to 300 in reality, is the big question.
I do have the 300 yes. I have four TV's and all of them have an Apple TV connected to them so there is several times where the daughter, wife and myself are all streaming something at the same time so the bandwidth is welcomed with multiple 4k streams.

I went mesh because my whole house is connected with smart plus, lights, switches etc so I have over 60 devices connected at all times which with my single router lead to some less then desirable results for the nest cams and a few others that consistently streamed. The mesh allows everything to have a peak signal and with wired back haul there is no slow downs.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #76
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking at moving to a mesh system. Going to get Shaw 300. Right now on 150. House is a 5 bedroom 4000 sq ft. Wife has an office on main floor. That's where shaw router is, and my wife hates it in there.

Basement tv area has an appletv and a ps4.
Basement workout room just setup a smart trainer. Has an appletv with zwift. No signal in this room.
Main floor: wifes office, and where we sit and use laptops and have three sonos systems on this floor.

Upstairs: 4K tv with 4K appletv and sonos playbase, and sonos one in bedroom.
garage has a sonos one.

I would like to move the router to the basement where the ps4 is to get it out of my wifes office. I'd like to hook my timecapsule backup to the router only for backups. I can get a different HD as well for backups. We don't really download much or do online gaming yet. My son is 8. We stream movies and tv on the 4K tv upstairs and use our laptops for work. Getting zwift to work flawlessly would be nice.

Simple would be nice.
What would you recommend?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #77
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know i responded in the other thread but just saw the source has the Deco M5 for $219.99

Thats is a seriously amazing price for that system.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #78
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, thanks. I did grab that one. I also got the velop from Bestbuy for $450. I'm going to try the Deco 5 first and see if I can get that going. Moving the router to the basement, which will make my wife happy, is ideal, so hopefully it will all work out. If not, I have the velop.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #79
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up the AC2200 (tall fast units) that Diemenz likes is going on sale for $430 for the 3 pack on Boxing Day at Best Buy.

I tried the Orbi units (the fast AC3000 ones) and the lack of wired backhaul abilities made these a complete no start for me. For whatever reason, the satellite couldn't get a wireless signal to the main unit and refused to kick over to the wired ethernet connection. So it was absolutely useless in the blackhole known as my house (I'm thinking there's interference somewhere). Too bad as it could have been a great solution for me and the size of the units didn't bother me (giggity).

My next step is to try the AC2200 units that Diemenz uses. Special thanks to him for all his help via PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #80
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So,an update on this...I tried the Deco 5, Linksys Velop 6600, Netgear Orbi, and the Amplifi HD.
In my house, part of this project was to move the router to the basement corner by the ps4. This would of course cover the basement, but my 4K tv is on the top floor above the garage, with that TV against an outside wall that the signal has to go through. I have a large house, so this posed a problem for the routers and a lot of moving around the nodes to figure out the best places to put them.
For the Orbi this was particularly tough because there was only one satellite, and it's fugly, so it had to be hidden somewhat. I would setup, do a bunch of speed tests throughout the house both in a low usage situation, and then with everything running. The 4k tv streaming a 4k movie. The other tv streaming HD. The other TV playing zwift. All the sonos devices playing music. My iphone streaming youtube. I'd test under these conditions, which are extreme for my household. And then recorded everything.
In the End, the winner was the Amplifi HD. It was the only one that had consistent speeds throughout all of my house.
The Deco 5 was easy setup, but didn't have enough range and gave the slowest speeds.
The Orbi was also easy setup and while it gave the fastest speeds in the same room, the drop off was huge going to the other side of the house. I attribute this to only 1 satellite. It needed another on the main floor.
The Velop setup was long. Way longer than the others, but initially, I thought this was it, I had service throughout the house, even though I thought the app sucked. But the next day, it was disconnected, which meant more time mucking around with this thing. I found it to be finicky, and I don't have time for that. I don't doubt it works. But I had spent enough time with it for my liking.
The Amplifi HD, worked. It setup easy, and provides good consistent service throughout the house. It dropped off less when I did my version of a load test. The key was getting the meshpoints to show a 100% connected. Even if I had 80%, I found getting them to 100% made a huge difference. The app is nice and simple. No child controls though, which is a disappointment. I think this device worked best for us because of the meshpoints. My wife didn't mind them, and I could place them anywhere in the house to try and maximize signal. It allowed for a lot more versatility. Where with the Velop and Deco 5, I had to put the mainfloor node in the office, I could put the amplifi meshpoint in the hallway outside the office.
I got it for $390 for the router and two meshpoints on black friday at memoryexpress. Thanks for everyone's input.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post: