Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #41
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Mike Smith's entire injury history that i could find.

Quote:
02/11/2018 Lower-Body Injury Day-To-Day
11/14/2017 Upper-Body Injury Day-To-Day
02/24/2017 Illness Day-To-Day
10/19/2016 Lower-Body Injury Day-To-Day
12/12/2015 Lower-Body Injury IR
11/21/2015 Lower-Body Injury Day-To-Day
03/25/2014 Leg Day-To-Day
Seems like a pretty typical chart to most NHL'ers so again, I think the injury thing is way over stated.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #42
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goaltending and the second D pair
Old 07-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #43
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The main thing I'm worried about now is that Treliving wants to keep Rasmus and Mangiapane in Stockton. Use David Johnson's analytics to tell you these guys are too dominant for the AHL, Brad.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #44
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who can take the step to legitimate, cup-contending eliteness?

Gaudreau can be considered at that level, but as a small winger, he can't be our main guy.
Neal, Backlund, and Frolik are part of a cup winning middle 6.

Two of Monahan, Lindholm, and Tkachuk need to take a step beyond realistic expectations. I think Tkachuk is likely - but we would still be lacking a cup calibre C. Kuznetsov or Backstrom (whoever you consider #1) is probably the worst #1C to win the cup since the lockout. That is the bare minimum level to be reached before the Flames can even enter the conversation IMO.

Otherwise, we need a Kiprusoff-type to come out of nowhere to at least have a shot at a run.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I an not worried about Rittich, I think he is an adequate backup and I thought he looked fantastic at the worlds.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #46
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think it’s safe to suggest that the guy who played through 4 simultaneous injuries that each required surgery to repair, and the guy who goes absolutely bonkers when they win should both be exempt from that discussion.
Don’t forget Gaudreau coming back at the end of the season after his dad had a heart attack, when we had nothing to play for. Always plays for team USA too
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #47
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tkachuk is projecting to be elite. Feels like the safest bet on a young flame entering that territory since Johnny himself I'd say. He started dragging backlund and Frolik around leading up to his injury. Just needs to limit the shenanigans.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #48
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know or understand why but Smith had a Home Save % of .901

Putting that in perspective a goalie with a .901 would rank 50th in the league among goalies with 20+ games.

His road save % was .937 That would be best in the league among goalies with 20 games.

Same thing with Elliott the year before Home sv% .897 away .918

Maybe the Flames were really bad when they get the last change and match lines at home

Gio was a -10 at home and a +10 on the road . Hamilton was a -6 at home and +7 on the road.

Hamonic on the road where he picked up most of the top lines when the other coach line matched -8 at home -1 Brodie -3 at home -13 on the road.

Somehow with Brodie and Hamonic getting the hard match ups on the road Smith was able to play better.... better save % more wins... maybe the quality of scoring chances were higher with Gio/Hamilton at home.?????

Either way the Flames are playing up hill against the wind until they get NHL level goal tending for the 42 home games.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #49
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me stupidly optimistic, but nothing worries me about this team at all, other than absolutely horrible luck with injuries that you can't foresee.

Goaltending: Smith is going to be lights-out. Just manage his minutes. Let Rittich and Gillies compete for the backup spot. It doesn't make sense to me for the Flames to go out and get a more experienced backup. Both Gillies and Rittich showed last season that they are decent back-ups, and they are both young and getting better. I think Peters will have a better system in place and the D won't be so atrocious at times anyway.

Defence: I am convinced that Gulutzan's system was mostly to blame for Brodie looking terrible through stretches. People forget that he also looked dominating through stretches too. I think you will see Brodie rise to the occasion this season. There is a lot of depth there - Andersson is ready, and I am betting that Kylington is ready too, with Valimaki possibly being fit as well. Defence doesn't worry me - this is still one of the best defensive corps in the league. Hanifin might go up and down the lineup a bit as his defence still needs some work, but that's ok - Flames have that depth, and if needed, I think Kulak can fill-in on the top 4 in stretches if the LHS-RHS defence pairing is important.

Forwards: What's there to worry about? Try to make line combos. Then take out a couple of players, and throw Foo, Mangiapane, probably Klimchuk and even Brouwer back in. I wish Brouwer wasn't on the team, but he still contributes. He has stood up for guys physically on this team, and he does make surprisingly strong defensive plays. Maybe Peters even finds a way to properly utilize him and Brouwer is able to score more goals. Either way, the forward group is the most versatile that I can ever remember. You probably have to go all the way back to the 80's.

Things to watch:
  • More offence from the defence. Gulutzan did not utilize the defence properly. Peters will.
  • Bennett should have better linemates, and the system seems more conducive to his gamestyle (fast breaks)
  • Guys in the bottom 6 in general had a tough time scoring because of the system. It was great for puck-possession, but not so much for actual scoring chances. Yeah yeah, I know the Flames routinely had more 'high danger chances' than the opposing teams, but if you break it down, most of those high danger chances didn't involve the goalie have to move to make a save. Ward has already touched on this, and I expect way better shooting percentages from the bottom of the roster... and we upgraded them a lot!
The only thing that concerns me a bit - and most will disagree - is the loss of Stajan. Why? Well, it wasn't his offence. It was his combination of leadership and defensive acumen. Seriously, when did Stajan suddenly become an important defensive player? Flames didn't backfill this at all - Ryan will improve on his offensive numbers, but there is nobody else now besides Backlund that you can count on to take the defensive zone draw and be counted on to do a good job defending. I think he will be missed.

This is a very deep team now. This is a very balanced and versatile team. Lots of players hungry to compete, and they will have to continually perform or find themselves lower in the roster. That makes a team really hungry.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #50
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith is the only major concern as he is old and he isn't nearly as good as everyone here seems to think.

Hes an average goalie in this league and we can't be relying on a slightly above average 36 year old to lead us deep in the playoffs...

Don't get me wrong, I think his first half last season was excellent and he deserved the all star game but from around then onwards (even before the injury) he wasn't very good.

I just don't see mike smith as a goalie who gets you to a cup final. could he get you to the playoffs? maybe, i guess we'll see but I really am not comfortable with him as our 1a and no even borderline 1b available, at least to start the season.

Hopefully I'm wrong but everything else has been improved. getting rid of GG was enough to improve most things and then all the additions on top of that have really pushed thinngs in a positive direction and the flames are looking to have 3 - 4 solid lines a la vegas golden knights and can roll all four groups out there successfully.

Would add that Derek Ryan playing on the top line or in top 6 is a concern for me... really don't like giving coaches a guy who is a crutch for them to lean on. like bart mattkowski last year, when GG kept running "his guy" out there. I just don't think hes good enough to be anywhere above our fourth line

Last edited by The Boy Wonder; 07-02-2018 at 04:30 PM.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #51
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
The main thing I'm worried about now is that Treliving wants to keep Rasmus and Mangiapane in Stockton. Use David Johnson's analytics to tell you these guys are too dominant for the AHL, Brad.
I don't think he wants to keep them in Stockton, but he doesn't want to gift-wrap them spots in Calgary either.

You always have to keep injuries in mind too. You don't want to make room for all your NHL-ready guys and then have 4 players get injured a week into the season and not have anyone available in the AHL for a call-up.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #52
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I'm really worried about the second pairing. People like to place a lot of blame on Brodie, but I believe the real problem is Travis Hamonic.

Hanifin was really sheltered last year with 63.1% O zone starts and if he is paired with Hamonic I feel like he is going to struggle mightily unless Hamonic has a real turnaround from his truly underwhelming play over the last couple of seasons.

Who knows maybe they will just click and be the best ever, but I get a real bad feeling about this pair.

Goaltending is also a question but if Rittich can get more starts and keep Smith from playing over 50 I think it would go a long way.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #53
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 What's left to worry about?

A reliable experienced backup goalie... someone like UFA's Kari Lehtonen or Steve Mason.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #54
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
A reliable experienced backup goalie... someone like UFA's Kari Lehtonen or Steve Mason.
Problem is neither are reliable at all. Both are pretty terrible now which is why they're available and/or were driven out of town.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #55
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say that I am worried about the following

1) Can we get a backup goalie that can keep Smith's games played under 55?
2) Can Hamonic play better or is he on a downward track in his career?
3) Can Peters coach at a level that allows the Flames to make the playoffs or is he just a below average NHL coach?
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #56
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Smith is the only major concern as he is old and he isn't nearly as good as everyone here seems to think.

Hes an average goalie in this league and we can't be relying on a slightly above average 36 year old to lead us deep in the playoffs...

Don't get me wrong, I think his first half last season was excellent and he deserved the all star game but from around then onwards (even before the injury) he wasn't very good.

I just don't see mike smith as a goalie who gets you to a cup final. could he get you to the playoffs? maybe, i guess we'll see but I really am not comfortable with him as our 1a and no even borderline 1b available, at least to start the season.

Hopefully I'm wrong but everything else has been improved. getting rid of GG was enough to improve most things and then all the additions on top of that have really pushed thinngs in a positive direction and the flames are looking to have 3 - 4 solid lines a la vegas golden knights and can roll all four groups out there successfully.

Would add that Derek Ryan playing on the top line or in top 6 is a concern for me... really don't like giving coaches a guy who is a crutch for them to lean on. like bart mattkowski last year, when GG kept running "his guy" out there. I just don't think hes good enough to be anywhere above our fourth line
This stuff is so overstated
Bartowski barely played after the first month
As for Ryan analytics show he is more than a fourth liner. Why do you not think he’s good enough to play above that. Based on what?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Bartowski barely played after the first month
He played the first 7 games of the season, and 8 of the first 11.

After that, he only played 10 games the rest of the way. 7 of those 10 games were when Hamonic got injured (4 were down the stretch when the Flames couldn't make any more non-emergency recalls). The other three were the game immediately after the Flames lost after blowing a lead (and two of the three were the second night of back-to-back games).
Old 07-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #58
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really hoping Jankowski has better linemates this year. Saw what he did with his one chance with Gaudreau and Ferland last year and hoping he gets a chance with skilled linemates this year.

Also would like Bennett to start on the energy line (4th line) at the beginning of the year and get him hitting instead of on the 3rd line where he is a turnover machine.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #59
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Still missing 20-30 goals off the roster I think. Hopefully good enough for top 16.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #60
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Still missing 20-30 goals off the roster I think. Hopefully good enough for top 16.
This is a huge season for Jankowski and Bennett.

Rehearsal time is over, it’s showtime! They need to take that leap with no excuses.

Their amelioration or lack thereof will have a sizable impact on the Flames offensive production and contender status.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post: