Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #1721
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens when Danny lands in Westeros. Who can contend with that army? Dorne, Highgarden, a good chunk of the Iron Islanders, what is left of the Unsullied and a horde of Dothraki. Oh ya, and 3 dragons. The Starks and the Vale, the Lannisters and the Freys? Doesn't really seem like a fair fight.
It's still a big army but I'm pretty sure she left the Dothraki behind along with the Second Sons.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #1722
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
It's still a big army but I'm pretty sure she left the Dothraki behind along with the Second Sons.
No. The Dothraki are on board the ships. re-watch the sailing scenes and you'll see them feed hay to their horses. The scroll back to show what appears to be 1000 ships sail for westeros is pretty telling how many she has.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #1723
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Looked to me like she loaded up the Dothraki onto the ships. I thought the one ship they showed was definitely Dothraki on deck with horses below.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #1724
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could have sworn when the leader of second sons asked her if the Dothraki would actually go across across "the poison sea" she said they weren't going, I'll have to re-watch it.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #1725
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I could have sworn when the leader of second sons asked her if the Dothraki would actually go across across "the poison sea" she said they weren't going, I'll have to re-watch it.
Daario says he can't wait to see it, then she informs him that he and the second sons will be staying on mereen.

The dothraki were shown on the ships. It was not easily noticed, but the ships in the fleet had the markings of Tyrell, Dorne and the Iron Islands.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #1726
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Interview up on HBO with Bella Ramsey aka Lady Mormont:

Quote:
HBO: What did you first think of Lyanna when you read the script?

Bella Ramsey: I thought, “This is a character to really get my teeth into.” Lyanna is strong about what she believes, and wants to keep her family and island protected; she wants to be treated like an adult. She's strong, and firm when she needs to be, and wants the best for her house and the North.
http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...lyanna-mormont
Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #1727
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what is she? Jorahs grand niece?
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #1728
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So what is she? Jorahs grand niece?
She would be his cousin. Jeor's (Night Watch Commander) sister was her mom.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #1729
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens when Danny lands in Westeros. Who can contend with that army? Dorne, Highgarden, a good chunk of the Iron Islanders, what is left of the Unsullied and a horde of Dothraki. Oh ya, and 3 dragons. The Starks and the Vale, the Lannisters and the Freys? Doesn't really seem like a fair fight.
The army of the dead I would think might bring a bit of a fight to the Targaryan alliance.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #1730
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

What, you mean the grumkins and snarks? Bah! Been listening to closely to your wet nurse have you?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #1731
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We Know No Scene-Stealer but the One on Bear Island, Whose Name Is Bella Ramsey

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...lyanna-mormont

Bella Ramsey, the 12-year-old actor who portrays the formidable leader of Bear Island, chats for the first time about her role.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #1732
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

There seems to be some question whether Jon Snow automatically becomes a legitimized Starke by becoming king. If he doesn't though, does that mean if he marries a highborn, it will be a matrilineal marriage, or is there now a "House Snow"? Would his kids have the Starke name? Would Bran, Sansa and Arya be the heirs even if he has children? Or does the north even have a solid form of succession? So many questions!

Also, what was with the creepy kids doing the dirty work? Do we know the story behind that?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #1733
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Also, what was with the creepy kids doing the dirty work? Do we know the story behind that?
My theory with that was that Pycelle was shown throughout the series to be a bit of a hedonist, so I assumed that he was maybe also into child exploitation. Little birds getting some revenge right there.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #1734
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There seems to be some question whether Jon Snow automatically becomes a legitimized Starke by becoming king. If he doesn't though, does that mean if he marries a highborn, it will be a matrilineal marriage, or is there now a "House Snow"? Would his kids have the Starke name? Would Bran, Sansa and Arya be the heirs even if he has children? Or does the north even have a solid form of succession? So many questions!

I wonder if Sansa has the power to name Jon a Stark.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #1735
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

that one kid who crippled Lancel had legendary ninja accuracy with his knife, managing to sever the dude's spine with a single stab in the dark. what was the whole idea with leading him down there anyways? what if the kid failed to take him down and he found the candles and just blew them out? or heck if he just blew a little bit harder as he was crawling towards them? then Cersei's whole gambit is toast. just like Robert's death by boar, she got extremely lucky it seems.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #1736
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I wonder if Sansa has the power to name Jon a Stark.
I actually had the same query. Someone answered that it is by royal decree only and they'd be right.

According to this (beware, it appears to be a book and tv show link):

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Legitimization

Stannis offered it to Jon since Stannis considered himself King. Tommen was the one who legitimized Ramsay.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #1737
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
that one kid who crippled Lancel had legendary ninja accuracy with his knife, managing to sever the dude's spine with a single stab in the dark. what was the whole idea with leading him down there anyways? what if the kid failed to take him down and he found the candles and just blew them out? or heck if he just blew a little bit harder as he was crawling towards them? then Cersei's whole gambit is toast. just like Robert's death by boar, she got extremely lucky it seems.
When I watched the scene, it didn't occur to me that the kid was purposely trying to lure anyone. I thought he was peaking inside the building to get intel so he could report back to Cersei what was said and who was present before the place blew up. Then he was spotted and wanted to get away.

I don't know though. Neither situation makes ideal sense I guess.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #1738
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
When I watched the scene, it didn't occur to me that the kid was purposely trying to lure anyone. I thought he was peaking inside the building to get intel so he could report back to Cersei what was said before the place blew up. Then he was spotted and wanted to get away.

I don't know though. Neither situation makes ideal sense I guess.
I think there is some artistic license there for dramatic effect. Presumably if Lancel blows out the candle then the kid comes in and either suicide lights it or he lights a 10s fuse and runs away.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #1739
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
The show seems to be doing a lot of things that are nonsensical for dramatic effect.

For example, how many high sparrows were there if they were all killed in that room or enough of them killed to remove them as a threat. Supposedly the Lanisters/Tyrell's commanded an army of 10s of thousands. Why didn't Cersei just outlaw the Faith Militant early on and then massacre them? She was worried about public opinion? But it was somehow okay to take out a large city block with them?

She tried to confront the High Sparrow prior to Tommen joining him with a few hundred troops, but why were things allowed to get that far? If the King can outlaw trial by combat, a centuries long tradition, on a whim, surely he could have outlawed a militant religious fanatical group that was murdering civilians.

I haven't read the books, but apparently they are far more concerned about details and logistics. The show wants the cool imagery.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #1740
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
My theory with that was that Pycelle was shown throughout the series to be a bit of a hedonist, so I assumed that he was maybe also into child exploitation. Little birds getting some revenge right there.
Qyburn can be seen in previous episodes recruiting, teaching, and feeding them. Probably orphaned children that found a caring Maester, and he has turned them into child soldiers (so to speak).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote