Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #41
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played some of the orange box last night, namely HL Episode 2 and Portal. The graphics improved quite a bit with this new HL episode, or it could just be my new computer, but either way the game looks great. I've only played for about half an hour, but I prefer the real environments, like a forest, outside etc, more so than the futuristic building settings. I look forward to playing some more.

Portal is a very cool game. I can't wait till people start developing levels for this game. It's almost limitless in the possibilities of puzzles one could create. The voice over was slightly annoying at first, but then was quite fitting and entertaining as the game went on.

And of course in between those games I am beating up on noobs in TF2, which is a blast. I was hoping they were going to release some new maps when the game launched, but as far as I can tell they didn't. Ah well, I am sure they will release some in the near future.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #42
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

ah i finally got it.

Nice game, hopefully more maps come out in the future.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #43
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably go pick this one up sometime tomorrow. It looks like a gooder.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #44
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a great package this is. It's probably the best value for money for video games in a long long time. They are all excellent games.

I'm getting my ass kicked on TF2 but having tons of fun anyway. I'm sure Burninator is having a field day with the likes of me. I like the stats feature as it means that even pathetic noobs like me can have personal bests to aim for.

Portal has been great so far. I'm currently stuck on #8 so any help would be appreciated. Nudge, Photon......

Ep.2's graphics look absolutely superb on my new laptop. HL2 has been one of the absolute pinnacles in videogame history period. Anyone who has yet to play this game with even a passing interest in games owes it to themselves to play it. (Wow, you would think I was employed by Valve or something!)
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #45
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't remember which one 8 is otherwise i'd help you.

If you want to post screen shots of where you're stuck I can help unless Photon is around with the game loaded up or he has a photographic memory.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #46
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I skipped it. Halo3 caught me by surprise I usually hate the series and still don't care for the campaign but the online is deep, I'll get Call of Duty 4 instead of this.
SarichFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #47
photon

Exp:

8 you just have to get the energy ball to the socket.. the only hint I'll give is you have to place the blue portal in the right location twice in a row to get it. I don't want to be too specific since you'll use the skill quite a bit in later levels.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #48
photon

Exp:

Oh and the Call of Duty 4 demo is out and looks super impressive.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #49
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played the CoD demo last night. It was alright. I guess if you like every other CoD game you'll like this because nothing has changed imo. Very linear gameplay. Basically follow this guy over there and shoot stuff. Scripted as well. You see it once and it happens every time. I thought we were supposed to be getting away from that stuff now a days in favour of more open environments.

It's fun blasting stuff, and looks great but I kind of expected more from the game. Just seems like a rehash to me with new models and skins.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #50
photon

Exp:

The linear stuff is part of the series, I don't see it as a downfall. There's things that can be done in a more tightly scripted game than in a more open-ended game. Just different experiences, I don't see one done well as better than the other.

A new CoD with new graphics and stuff is just fine with me
Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #51
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoa, Portal is awesome!
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #52
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Well, I've had the game for one evening and Portal is quite fun. I'd love to see more of this game. I played a couple rounds of TF2, seems pretty good. I haven't played Episode 2 yet. I think I'll play Episode 1 again to get back into it first.

Overall, quite happy with the package. I was hooked on Portal and went to bed a couple hours late TF2 didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. But maybe I have to play it some more to get used to it. So far, 9/10 for me!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #53
photon

Exp:

Episode 2 was good, though kind of short (though I guess that's the whole point of episodes). Hopefully less time until Episode 3.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #54
photon

Exp:

Well, anyone remember seeing the garden gnome at the beginning of the game? Weird eh?

Well I didn't notice until later there's a "launch the gnome into space" achievement. Yeah right, the game is hard enough for me without lugging a gnome around for who knows how long.

Heh, someone did it.. SPOILER warning though for those who haven't finished the game.

http://www.kfj.f2s.com/index.php/2007-10-15-gnome-quest
Old 10-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #55
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing as the thread segued' into CoD4 demo comments, apparently the other game to watch has apparently dropped a demo, that being Hellgate:London

Has this particular game been on anyones radar? or is it mainly just Halo3 etc. I only rank Hellgate:London up there because the guys who made the original Diablo and Diablo II are behind it.

Portal spoilers\\

So for the part with the rocket turret, how did you get into the vent?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #56
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

portal spoilers:

to get into the vent i just piled some stuff up from the room where the turret is. you can do it another way with the portals where you get the turret to shoot the cube tunnel thing above the vent and a cube will fall down for you to climb up on I think.

/portal spoilers

I'll for sure download the hellgate demo to see hoe it goes. I've heard a lot about it but not sure if it's my type of game. I will see I guess.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #57
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I played the CoD demo last night. It was alright. I guess if you like every other CoD game you'll like this because nothing has changed imo. Very linear gameplay. Basically follow this guy over there and shoot stuff. Scripted as well. You see it once and it happens every time. I thought we were supposed to be getting away from that stuff now a days in favour of more open environments.

It's fun blasting stuff, and looks great but I kind of expected more from the game. Just seems like a rehash to me with new models and skins.
There are still multiple ways you can accomplish your linear goals...You aren't forced all the time in one direction, you aren't forced into the fireflight. You can for instance, shoot all the enemies from a window before you go outside, you can go around a building or through it, etc.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #58
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Didn't know the demo for Hellgate was out. I'm going to be downloading it ASAP when I get home. Loved Diablo and can't wait to see this style of game.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #59
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There are still multiple ways you can accomplish your linear goals...You aren't forced all the time in one direction, you aren't forced into the fireflight. You can for instance, shoot all the enemies from a window before you go outside, you can go around a building or through it, etc.
I suppose, just to me it seems the same as cod and cod2, and I wasn't a huge fan of those games. i pretty much played them through once and forgot about them.

On the topic of portal, facebook people might find this interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=622877592&ref=mf
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #60
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Note re: Hellgate demo (from www.simhq.com forums)

Hellgate Demo EULA

"3. Consent to Use of Data. You agree that EA, its affiliates, and each Related Party may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer, including without limitation your Internet Protocol address, operating system, application software and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online play. EA and/or the Related Parties may also use this information in the aggregate and, in a form which does not personally identify you, to improve our products and services and we may share that aggregate data with our third party service providers"
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote