Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2024, 05:33 PM   #2121
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the rumors fare true that Xbox is going to way of SEGA that does make some sense. The Xbox CEO said losing the PS4 XBONE generation basically killed them as that is when users really built up their digital library and it would be very difficult to convert PlayStation users. I haven’t had an Xbox since he very first one so would be interested in playing some of the games if and when they come to PlayStation
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:06 AM   #2122
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Wow, I just found out the PS Portal is just a remote play tablet with a controller bolted on. I thought this was gonna be something more useful like a local connection between the PS5 and the Portal. That's disappointing.
Supposedly there is some first party tech and improved proprietary code versus just running remote play on any old Android or streaming device. I don't get why the PS Portal is so popular. On release the streaming quality on reviews seemed meh but maybe they have improved it now.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:39 PM   #2123
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Never come in here, but that is so stupid that Xbox series X is not going to come out with any supported virtual reality? How is that even possible in this day and age?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:19 PM   #2124
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Never come in here, but that is so stupid that Xbox series X is not going to come out with any supported virtual reality? How is that even possible in this day and age?
Because Microsoft is probably going to come out on Thursday and say their primary business is as a publisher and not being in the hardware game. They will still continue to make consoles but really just as a portal into the subscription model.

VR on Gamepass would be a game changer though, there are so many VR games I'd want to play but they aren't worth buying individually.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:32 AM   #2125
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Supposedly there is some first party tech and improved proprietary code versus just running remote play on any old Android or streaming device. I don't get why the PS Portal is so popular. On release the streaming quality on reviews seemed meh but maybe they have improved it now.

I’ve never been a remote play guy in the past, but I bought the Portal out of curiosity and I use it all the time now.

Obviously mileage will vary based on your internet setup but it’s pretty flawless for me. I’ve probably got 20-30 hours on the thing and most of the time you can’t even tell it’s streaming.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 09:38 AM   #2126
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Because Microsoft is probably going to come out on Thursday and say their primary business is as a publisher and not being in the hardware game. They will still continue to make consoles but really just as a portal into the subscription model.

VR on Gamepass would be a game changer though, there are so many VR games I'd want to play but they aren't worth buying individually.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the next Xbox is a digital/streaming only thing and that there will be games exclusive to Gamepass (which will be available on multiple platforms including the PS5) but nothing exclusive to the hardware itself.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 01:06 PM   #2127
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I’ve never been a remote play guy in the past, but I bought the Portal out of curiosity and I use it all the time now.

Obviously mileage will vary based on your internet setup but it’s pretty flawless for me. I’ve probably got 20-30 hours on the thing and most of the time you can’t even tell it’s streaming.
Same experience here.

The portal works perfectly for me and has helped me get a bit more gaming in, which I love.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 01:41 PM   #2128
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because Microsoft is probably going to come out on Thursday and say their primary business is as a publisher and not being in the hardware game.
The fact that the consoles are loss-leaders hasn't given away the game yet, eh?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:26 PM   #2129
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The fact that the consoles are loss-leaders hasn't given away the game yet, eh?
Well if you are arguing that, no one is in the hardware game unless you are Samsung, TMSC, AMD, Nvidia, etc.

The biggest impact from whatever is announced on Thurs. will be relaxed exclusivity as they are going to be concerned about access to all the games developed and published by Bethesda and Activision losing the market of gamers who are on Nintendo and Sony.

Trying to play the hardware game, not in terms of being a loss-leader, but trying to be a pillar in the console brand market is costing them $$$ after they have acquired all these IPs and publishers.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:43 PM   #2130
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well if you are arguing that, no one is in the hardware game unless you are Samsung, TMSC, AMD, Nvidia, etc.

The biggest impact from whatever is announced on Thurs. will be relaxed exclusivity as they are going to be concerned about access to all the games developed and published by Bethesda and Activision losing the market of gamers who are on Nintendo and Sony.

Trying to play the hardware game, not in terms of being a loss-leader, but trying to be a pillar in the console brand market is costing them $$$ after they have acquired all these IPs and publishers.
It's just how Microsoft defense force will try to sell it. See, the consoles never made money, this was the plan all along! The 25-year long game!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:28 PM   #2131
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I thought the investment and push for Cloud Gaming was a pretty big tip of the hand myself. The whole company has been about more coverage of more platforms (remember how bad Office on Mac used to be?). Platform agnosticism is the name of the game, it seems inevitable that gaming will follow suit.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:30 PM   #2132
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So it’s four games to start with, per Spencer today (Sea of Thieves and HiFi Rush among them no doubt) as part of what’ll surely become an attempt to increasingly double dip and extract revenue from other platforms while also maintaining a core hardware ecosystem. Sarah Bond also making mention that new hardware’s to be announced this holiday which will represent a very large leap.

So, definitely not Sega. If they leverage their increasingly massive revenue and pump some of it back in to making powerful boxes, I’m here for it. Their challenge will be keeping the right games exclusive so as to continue justifying a use case to buy expensive Xbox hardware over the long term.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:33 PM   #2133
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
So it’s four games to start with, per Spencer today (Sea of Thieves and HiFi Rush among them no doubt) as part of what’ll surely become an attempt to increasingly double dip and extract revenue from other platforms while also maintaining a core hardware ecosystem. Sarah Bond also making mention that new hardware’s to be announced this holiday which will represent a very large leap.

So, definitely not Sega. If they leverage their increasingly massive revenue and pump some of it back in to making powerful boxes, I’m here for it. Their challenge will be keeping the right games exclusive so as to continue justifying a use case to buy expensive Xbox hardware over the long term.

Yep, seems like a solid strategy. Looking forward to hearing more about the new machines officially.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:05 PM   #2134
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

That interview with Sony's new COO was pretty interesting. Looking like a nice to PC launches day and date is inevitable now.

Also pretty interesting to hear that there will be zero, big name first party PS5 exclusives till April 2025. That's a long time to wait for games.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:45 PM   #2135
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
That interview with Sony's new COO was pretty interesting. Looking like a nice to PC launches day and date is inevitable now.

Also pretty interesting to hear that there will be zero, big name first party PS5 exclusives till April 2025. That's a long time to wait for games.
haha, can't question your dedication to Xbox at least

"this is all wonderful news about xbox what great strategy"
"poor, poor, PS5 and their no big games"

back to back is some kinda spin

I can assure you their strategy wasn't to get their asses handed to them so bad in the Thunderdome they had no other choice

Last edited by dino7c; 02-15-2024 at 11:55 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:30 AM   #2136
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
haha, can't question your dedication to Xbox at least

"this is all wonderful news about xbox what great strategy"
"poor, poor, PS5 and their no big games"

back to back is some kinda spin

I can assure you their strategy wasn't to get their asses handed to them so bad in the Thunderdome they had no other choice
The inevitable move to PS5 releases on PC day and date is another no brainer.... Great strategy for Sony moving forward.

It's all great news for the consumer.

But you have to admit that not having a single triple A first party game getting released until April 2025 is unfortunate.

Though HellDivers has been a fun bug shooting win very recently.

XBox announced 4 games were going full multiplat....4. two of which are widely rumored to be Sea of thieves a 6 year old game and HiFi Rush. The latter being far from AAA exclusive.

The other two sounded like games in a similar vein as HiFi Rush.

Yeah, that just reeks of having no other choice and in my vocabulary a solid decision doesn't mean it's a great one.

Last edited by Since1984; 02-16-2024 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM   #2137
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be very naive to assume those four games will be the only ones.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:23 PM   #2138
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post

This. I wasn't suggesting for a moment that there would be a push to exit the hardware business, but getting that sweet, sweet revenue across multiple platforms is clearly something the company has been championing in recent years and it isn't a surprise that Gaming wants to as well. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been paying attention to the company as a whole.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 01:14 PM   #2139
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It would be very naive to assume those four games will be the only ones.
There is no where in my comment that said these would be the only games.....

Obviously Blizzard and Activision games will be direct to other platforms on release day.

I assume, with Phil's wording is that certain games will be eventually brought to other platforms. Games like Grounded, Sentiment, etc where they don't drive sales of Xbox consoles.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:18 AM   #2140
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The DualSense controller is a bit over rated. Not enough games are making interesting use of the features.
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote