Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2024, 02:24 PM   #2101
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I think a lot of people are taking their non-answer as confirmation, at least, of some kind of multi-platform strategy.

Playstation is releasing older games on PC, so it should not be a huge surprise...

Publishers whose valuation was based on selling multiplatform game (Bethesda, AKB) are basically cutting out 35% of their marketcap by going exclusively to XBox Live....
Big difference between bringing older games to PC and bringing them to a competing console, though. PC is kind of viewed as an almost separate ecosystem.

PlayStation suddenly bringing first party games to Xbox would also be a huge deal (other than MLB, which was a license thing).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:08 AM   #2102
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Microsoft is going the way of Sega. They've lost the hardware battle, so it makes sense to transition to a pure software delivery model
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:59 AM   #2103
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think the price point is too high. I’d like to buy an Xbox for my son but at $550 it’s a bit like hmmm… really?

My kid just wants to play NHL 24. I haven’t read through this entire thread and outside of a little bit of research comparing the systems hoping some knowledgeable folks here can help me. Do I need to worry about the Series X vs S if all we wanna do is okay NHL?

Sucks so bad the Switch doesn’t have it…
Who needs NHL ‘24 when you can play the NES classic Ice Hockey with a switch online account?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:57 AM   #2104
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I personally wonder how long it takes for Microsoft to become multiplatform with Gamepass.

Have to think that opening up your subcription service to the platform with the much bigger market share will be something they try to pursue one day.
Honestly didn't see this becoming the actual discussion just a day or two after I made this post but here we are.

I think this would be the first step though...first you port some of the games over to PS5...then you open up Gamepass.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:19 AM   #2105
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly didn't see this becoming the actual discussion just a day or two after I made this post but here we are.

I think this would be the first step though...first you port some of the games over to PS5...then you open up Gamepass.
Couldn’t have come at a better time for me, honestly. Just as I was considering buying a Series S, now I’ll just wait to see what the news is lol.

Honestly, with the quality of Xbox consoles being kind of dumpy to begin with and them struggling with sales (while handicapping game sales by making them exclusives on consoles few people own and making them free on gamepass), opening them up to Sony and others makes a ton of sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:02 AM   #2106
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Couldn’t have come at a better time for me, honestly. Just as I was considering buying a Series S, now I’ll just wait to see what the news is lol.

Honestly, with the quality of Xbox consoles being kind of dumpy to begin with and them struggling with sales (while handicapping game sales by making them exclusives on consoles few people own and making them free on gamepass), opening them up to Sony and others makes a ton of sense.
This is the first I've heard of Xbox consoles having quality issues.

I think Microsoft would be crazy to say they're exiting the console market before the end of the generation. The update will probably just say they're exploring cross-platform titles and nothing more. Maybe in 2027 we'll hear news that there won't be another Xbox console coming.

Last edited by Mazrim; 02-07-2024 at 12:16 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:00 PM   #2107
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't think it would happen overnight.

First step would be to release some of the 1st party titles on Playstation...then over time and once there is a catalog of games actually available on Playstation you would say "Gamepass is available on Playstation".

I don't think you'd do it overnight, but probably something that happens closer to the end of this consoles lifecycle.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:04 PM   #2108
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post

I think Microsoft would be crazy to say they're exiting the console market before the end of the generation. The update will probably just say they're exploring cross-platform titles and nothing more. Maybe in 2027 we'll hear news that there won't be another Xbox console coming.
I don't think they're abandoning hardware. The recent rumours are that next gen for Microsoft will include a Series X "power" console and a Series S "switch style" dockable handheld (made by the Surface group).

I won't be surprised to see more Microsoft games end up on other consoles, but that's just Microsoft making money everywhere they can.

How will they differentiate their hardware from the Playstation 6 etc? Yet to be seen. Could be releasing their ever expanding list of 'first party' games on that platform first and Playstation/Nintendo 6 months - 1 year later (kind of like how Playstation does PC games now)...who knows.

Microsoft is a big company with a lot of power though. I don't think we'll see them abandon hardware or the Xbox brand.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:07 PM   #2109
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the wild popularity of the Switch and Steam Deck, I hope we see more handheld consoles.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:12 PM   #2110
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
With the wild popularity of the Switch and Steam Deck, I hope we see more handheld consoles.
I think Sony and Microsoft are both seeing the opportunity.

The Portal, which is exclusively a companion device, has been sold out everywhere since it launched.

Everyone else is putting out a handheld too (Asus, Lenovo, Steam) and they look to be selling quite well too.

Microsoft making one, and Sony making a standalone handheld makes far too much sense.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:35 PM   #2111
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Honestly, with the quality of Xbox consoles being kind of dumpy to begin with ...
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Well modern ones, anyway. We all remember the OG with the leaking clock capacitors that would kill the console if not removed, and the RRoD on the 360. But that can't be informing a purchasing decision for a console family that has been pretty rock solid for two generations on-the-trot.

But honestly since the Xbox One, console quality has been pretty damned good, especially when they released the X1S and X1X. The X1X in particular was a quality piece of hardware IMO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:23 PM   #2112
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1755397955509432667
Old 02-07-2024, 08:24 PM   #2113
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think Sony and Microsoft are both seeing the opportunity.

The Portal, which is exclusively a companion device, has been sold out everywhere since it launched.

Everyone else is putting out a handheld too (Asus, Lenovo, Steam) and they look to be selling quite well too.

Microsoft making one, and Sony making a standalone handheld makes far too much sense.
I have been waiting for it to come back in stock at Shoppers but yeah, they're disappearing immediately every time lbabinz makes a post. It's wild.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:41 AM   #2114
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a veritable graveyard of dead devices that tried to compete with Nintendo in the handheld console space (including two from Sony already). Good luck to whoever comes next...
Old 02-08-2024, 11:58 AM   #2115
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
There's a veritable graveyard of dead devices that tried to compete with Nintendo in the handheld console space (including two from Sony already). Good luck to whoever comes next...
Wow, I just found out the PS Portal is just a remote play tablet with a controller bolted on. I thought this was gonna be something more useful like a local connection between the PS5 and the Portal. That's disappointing.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:03 PM   #2116
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would probably cost twice or three times as much if it were a standalone device. I would have bought it faster if that were the case ironically lol.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:31 PM   #2117
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After watching Modern Vintage Gamer, I was always a bit curious about grabbing a PS Vita for the sole purpose of running emulators on it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:33 PM   #2118
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
After watching Modern Vintage Gamer, I was always a bit curious about grabbing a PS Vita for the sole purpose of running emulators on it.
It was actually a pretty slick little handheld, I had a launch one with the OLED screen and it looked fantastic. But Sony quickly stopped supporting it from a first party perspective and then support in general dried up not long after. I'm not big in to the whole emulator scene so sold it off shortly after.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:10 PM   #2119
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
PSP was huge, especially in Japan.

Vita was an amazing they device they just decided to stop supporting.

And I'd argue the market is much different now.

The Steam Deck has shown that a premium device with the right value prop can work...I feel like if Microsoft made a native Gamepass device it could work.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:13 PM   #2120
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
PSP was huge, especially in Japan.

Vita was an amazing they device they just decided to stop supporting.

And I'd argue the market is much different now.

The Steam Deck has shown that a premium device with the right value prop can work...I feel like if Microsoft made a native Gamepass device it could work.
PSP was successful no doubt, but I'd probably stop short of calling it huge when it's direct competitor outsold it 2-to-1.

Steam Deck isn't a mass market device so it really doesn't factor in much. They've sold a couple million, which is great for a premium enthusiast device you sell direct from your own store and isn't your primary income driver. What I'm saying is, if Nintendo had sold only a couple million Switch consoles in 2017-2029 they'd be going third party too.