Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2024, 09:27 PM   #2081
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You definitely don’t want to rely on GamePass streaming only. There are often waits to get access and the lag and glitches due to connection issue can make for a poor experience.

It’s a nice bonus if you’re away from home but a console, or PC, is a must.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:30 PM   #2082
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Is an Xbox Series S the cheapest entry point for access to Gamepass/Xbox exclusives?

EDIT: or, alternatively, would streaming via the cloud on a compatible device work well enough?

I stream on our living room tv and I think it’s great but I’m a casual gamer. I put an Xbox X in basement for the projector since it’s also my bluray player (S doesn’t have a disc drive).
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:05 PM   #2083
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Is an Xbox Series S the cheapest entry point for access to Gamepass/Xbox exclusives?

EDIT: or, alternatively, would streaming via the cloud on a compatible device work well enough?
Series S is the cheapest way to install games and get that direct experience. Cloud gaming is okay but not all games are cloud available, there are waiting times, and quality/lag depends on your internet connection.

That said, I use Gamepass cloud on a Macbook, Steamdeck, and in my car. Anything with a browser that you can connect a controller to will work.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:12 AM   #2084
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Thanks all. Had no idea about the wait times just to start gaming on the cloud (tested it out and got hit with a 20 minute wait which sometimes is half the time I would have to play).

Sounds like the Series S is the move, though maybe it’s worth waiting if those rumours of Microsoft bringing some of their exclusives over to PS5 is true…
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:46 AM   #2085
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks all. Had no idea about the wait times just to start gaming on the cloud (tested it out and got hit with a 20 minute wait which sometimes is half the time I would have to play).

Sounds like the Series S is the move, though maybe it’s worth waiting if those rumours of Microsoft bringing some of their exclusives over to PS5 is true…
Damn -- what game were you trying to play?

I mean, I usually use Cloud Gaming for little piddly indie games that take nothing for power so I have very little experience on AAA titles, but there have been a couple times I used it for Wreckfest before finally downloading it, and it was reasonably quick.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:03 AM   #2086
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I was just trying to test out a free game without having to actually buy Gamepass yet, as I wanted to test latency between my controller/air playing to the TV. Fortnite was the first one to pop up, so I selected that, but if popularity of the game itself makes a difference I’m assuming I chose the worst one lol (I’ve never actually played it, but I know it’s popular).

Mostly I want to try out Starfield, Forza Motorsport/Horizons, and Lies of P (which isn’t exclusive but is on Gamepass). I don’t actually know if you can even play all of those on the cloud. MLB The Show would be good, too.

If I go the Series S route, what are some other AAA games on Gamepass that could justify the spend?
Old 02-05-2024, 10:31 AM   #2087
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean I'm sinking (too much?) time into the entire Yakuza / Like a Dragon series myself. But if you wanna see what's on there, check this: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games

I'm always the worst person to ask since I latch onto a series and get totally hooked, and I'm also not the guy who sinks a ton of time into a lot of big name AAA games.

Game Pass Core only has 38 titles to choose from, but Game Pass for Console and Game Pass Ultimate have 477 console titles and Ultimate has 444 PC titles.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:38 AM   #2088
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Haha I was actually cruising through some games on there the other day and was considering playing through Yakuza (when I saw them on there) solely because you mentioned you were doing the same.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:45 AM   #2089
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played through most of Yakuza Kiwami without doing much of the 'Majima Everywhere' missions to upgrade the 'Dragon' fighting style, and now I'm doing nothing but that before the final mission. The common refrain "Kiiiiiiiryu-chaaaaaaaaan" haunts my dreams at the moment.

I love the humor in those games.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:43 AM   #2090
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I played through most of Yakuza Kiwami without doing much of the 'Majima Everywhere' missions to upgrade the 'Dragon' fighting style, and now I'm doing nothing but that before the final mission. The common refrain "Kiiiiiiiryu-chaaaaaaaaan" haunts my dreams at the moment.

I love the humor in those games.
That's basically the Yakuza games. You reach the final mission and you realize you are only 20% on the real fighting tree and the real top tier gear lol. I've been on the final mission (without starting it) on Yakuza Isshin for about 4 months now. I just keep doing the dungeons to farm and level up all the grindy stuff to unlock things.

Yakuza Zero is like this too - and there's two main characters in it to do unlocks for + a hidden fighting style you can completely miss. If you like Majima, definitely play Zero next because its "Majima Begins".

I loved the fighting arena under the homeless park in Kiwami.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-05-2024 at 02:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 01:11 PM   #2091
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754265996049695099
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:12 PM   #2092
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They bought all the studios and still can't sell consoles, what choice do they have?
Old 02-05-2024, 02:28 PM   #2093
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They bought all the studios and still can't sell consoles, what choice do they have?
This aligns with Microsoft. Azure, Office 365, Co-Pilot AI, and Gamepass. Everything as a service.

Xbox fanboys are feeling sad though since there is no real reason to actually own Xbox anymore. For what it's worth, I like Xbox but it's just another cheap box into a service for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 03:09 PM   #2094
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once MS bought Activision/Blizzard they basically had to get way more subscribers to pay off that 68 billion dollar investment.

How does one do that with a subscription service? Having PC gamers is big, but not that big... I don't think Xbox has ever released the actual number of subscribers have they?

Apparently XBox is having some kind of update next week, so I'd be curious what they say.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:05 PM   #2095
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe they are going to avoid addressing this until next week.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754598552548904973
Old 02-05-2024, 06:44 PM   #2096
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Can't believe they are going to avoid addressing this until next week.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754598552548904973
I think a lot of people are taking their non-answer as confirmation, at least, of some kind of multi-platform strategy.

Playstation is releasing older games on PC, so it should not be a huge surprise...

Publishers whose valuation was based on selling multiplatform game (Bethesda, AKB) are basically cutting out 35% of their marketcap by going exclusively to XBox Live....
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:25 PM   #2097
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I guess the X/S sales are behind even the xbox one. Crazy given how bad the reception was for that console. Can see how they need to do something different and to not follow the same path as the previous generation and monetize things.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:40 PM   #2098
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think the price point is too high. I’d like to buy an Xbox for my son but at $550 it’s a bit like hmmm… really?

My kid just wants to play NHL 24. I haven’t read through this entire thread and outside of a little bit of research comparing the systems hoping some knowledgeable folks here can help me. Do I need to worry about the Series X vs S if all we wanna do is okay NHL?

Sucks so bad the Switch doesn’t have it…
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:03 PM   #2099
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think the price point is too high. I’d like to buy an Xbox for my son but at $550 it’s a bit like hmmm… really?

My kid just wants to play NHL 24. I haven’t read through this entire thread and outside of a little bit of research comparing the systems hoping some knowledgeable folks here can help me. Do I need to worry about the Series X vs S if all we wanna do is okay NHL?

The Series S only does 1080p but it looks like it runs NHL at a solid 60fps.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 10:51 PM   #2100
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

It would be absolutely terrible on the Switch's hardware. Just get a Series S and call it a day. Grab it at Shoppers on a 20x points day and you are laughing...or even used. These new consoles are well built