Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #81
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Well, after play TF2 for awhile now, I can say that it's OK, but not as good as the orignal. The exclusion of grenades and other minor adjustments jsut don't work right for me. I like the new look, but I wished they kept the exact same gameplay.
Hard for engineers to clear rooms without any nades.

The rocket launchers are freakin' annoying.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #82
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

EP2 was great and the ending will ensure you play EP3
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #83
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished Portal. Great game and good ending. It was a little short, but the possibilities of future maps and mods should see that this game will last for a while.

I'm enjoying TF2 way more than I did the original (although I didn't play it much). I like the style of play much better and I don't miss the grenades at all.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #84
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, Portal was pretty fun. Short, but I laughed a lot and enjoyed it. Can't wait to see some of the mods/maps come out for this one.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:38 PM   #85
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i think you can expect the portal gun to show up in HL2: Episode 3. with the Black Mesa references in Portal and the Aperture Science references at the end of Episode 2 it seems like Portal was just a tech demo to show off the technology and to get gamers familiar with it, like an elaborate training demo. i think in EP3 we'll get to really see what that technology is capable of (just imagine the portal/gravity gun combinations)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #86
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half-Life in 60 seconds

Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #87
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Hard for engineers to clear rooms without any nades.

The rocket launchers are freakin' annoying.
That's why engineers aren't supposed to clear rooms. The game is about teamplay. The engineers put dispensers closer to the front so your team can advance. I am so glad grenade spamming and grenade-jump exploits (for everyone, since demoman can still nade-jump) are gone.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #88
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeesh, demoman grenade spam is bad enough as it is, I can't imagine if the whole team had grenades.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #89
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeesh, demoman grenade spam is bad enough as it is, I can't imagine if the whole team had grenades.
Such were the final days of TFC. It was pure garbage. You couldn't go anywhere because you'd be spammed with grenades by the entire other team. Meanwhile, some Scout or Spy would use nade-jump exploits to fly across the entire map and grab the flag or capture instantly.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #90
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else find that TF2 got boring really quickly?

As I mentioned before it's really a shallow game. You get better and better, then you hit a wall where game mechanics just stop you from improving.

The lack of maps got me too, I only liked Dustbowl and Gravelpit. The others were really really hit and miss.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #91
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been having alot of fun with TF2 since it's inception, but as was mentioned above, the game is ultimately too shallow to be fun for too long, especially when compared to TFC or QWTF. Some here who miss the old TFC days might be interested to know that I'm part of the media team for Fortress Forever, which takes the best elements of TFC and QWTF, adds some much needed things (like making Pyro useful for one), and makes them available in HL2.

http://www.fortress-forever.com

If you have any HL2 based game you can play for free, check it out! The 1.1 patch just came out and the game runs like butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube
Such were the final days of TFC. It was pure garbage. You couldn't go anywhere because you'd be spammed with grenades by the entire other team. Meanwhile, some Scout or Spy would use nade-jump exploits to fly across the entire map and grab the flag or capture instantly.
Actually, the conc/grenade jump 'exploits' were hard coded into the game to be used as a movement technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #92
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...80201&site=pcg

Is this not the coolest update ever? Fleshing out the achievements system is a great idea. However, I'm not sure how they're going to balance 3 weapons for every class so that they are all useful, and not provide a significant barrier to entry for someone just starting the game with only one weapon.

I am pretty excited about this though! Maybe it's the MMO player in me
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #93
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Anyone else find that TF2 got boring really quickly?

As I mentioned before it's really a shallow game. You get better and better, then you hit a wall where game mechanics just stop you from improving.

The lack of maps got me too, I only liked Dustbowl and Gravelpit. The others were really really hit and miss.
Yup. I bought Call of Duty 4 over Christmas and I haven't touched TF2 since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...80201&site=pcg

Is this not the coolest update ever? Fleshing out the achievements system is a great idea. However, I'm not sure how they're going to balance 3 weapons for every class so that they are all useful, and not provide a significant barrier to entry for someone just starting the game with only one weapon.

I am pretty excited about this though! Maybe it's the MMO player in me
Well this I didn't know. I quickly went over the article but didn't see anything about if it's a paid add on? If it's not, I might go back and play it some more once it comes out.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #94
photon

Exp:

As far as I know it's a free change, at least for PC users.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:58 AM   #95
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There was a new TF2 update today that tweaked some of the scoring, and added a new CTF map called CTF_Well.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #96
photon

Exp:

Yeah I gave it a short play yesterday and it seems good, a different style of play than 2fort for sure. Will take a while for people to learn it though, I was able to cap the intel pretty easily with the scout even with a sentry right on top of it.

Note to engineers, if you see the health going down on your sentry, probably a good idea to check on it. If I can take down a sentry from across the room with a pistol, someone's asleep.