Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Looking to buy a Wii..

My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Wii for a couple months, as kinda an eventual thing. Last night we experienced our first actual session of playing it and we were seriously impressed.

Looking on Bestbuy.ca it seems the console costs $279.99 which is fine, but it doesn't say what it includes. I assume one set of controls ( wii mote and nunchuka ), but what else? Does a game come with it? Second controller?

We don't plan on playing it a lot, mostly for a family type activity and for homework stress relief gaming. What would be considered the ' neccesary ' starting accessories? or good first games to get?

Is there a good place to get it in the city? or would ordering it online be our best bet? We are not in a hurry to get it or anything but dont want to wait 6 months.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'll get the Wii, Sensor Bar, one Wiimote, one Nunchuk and Wii Sports.

Its a decent start, but I would suggest the following extras:
-Wii Play (for the Wiimote and a $10 toss-in game)
-Additional Nunchuk

As for Games
-One of the better sport games (personally I recommend Tiger Woods 08)
-One of the Mario games as they're always among the best games for Nintendo
(I'd recommend Mario Party 8, Mario Strikers and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games... others would say Mario Galaxy, but I've never played it)

Best place to go in my experience is Walmart. They always seem to have a couple in stock when everyone else is sold out.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Mario Galaxy is awesome. That is all.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love Big Brain Academy. We have had some people over playing and everyone wants to test their "brain size" against others.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The best places to get a Wii are the places you don't immediately think about. I got mine at Zellers. No matter where you look though, finding one is still mostly a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Though as far as Walmart goes, with four of their stores now being open 24 hours, that could change the dynamics of getting one from there.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mario Galaxy is the best game to come out in the last decade, so that's a must. Other good adventure heavy single player games are Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. But you might not want to look into those as they're heavy on the single player (no multiplayer at all, actually).

Games for family time, stuff like Mario Strikers Charged, Elebits... whatever of the random mini game collections tickles your fancy.

As for getting it I don't really know. I camped out for mine on release day so I haven't had to worry about it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mario Galaxy has ruined my relationship. Everything will be okay because Blockbuster will want it back soon.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote