Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #1141
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The lack of response in the Edmonton game is just emotional whining. What, was he supposed to jump the boards and pound someone? Chase him with his skate Happy Gilmore style?
I didn't give a #### that he didn't fight. He didn't show up. That's not me whining. He didn't do his ####ing job that night. Total missed opportunity by Lucic imo. He could have set Kassian straight right then and there.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #1142
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

God I miss hockey.

That's all I have to say. I just miss going to the Dome and watching these guys skate up the ice and score goals and listening to the crowd erupt and hearing all the music and arena announcers and all the giveaways and bad-for-you food and hearing all the rumours and debating about the trade deadline and free agency and everything else.

The play-ins are gonna be cool but the atmosphere just won't be the same... I can't wait to go to the Dome again in a jersey alongside all of you, my fellow fans...

...to watch my favourite elite bottom-six forwards, Milan Lucic and Derek Ryan!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #1143
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least Lucic took the backlash from the Edm game to heart and picked up his game after that. If he comes back with that same fire he can be a solid contributor, if he goes back into sleepy mode he might as well just sit in the pressbox and collect his millions.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #1144
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hope you guys are ready for 2 months of that awful oilers arena horn. That won't help with the arena atmosphere issues.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #1145
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Oh god. Please tell me that's not going to be the goal horn for every team. I might actually be rooting against the Flames to score.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #1146
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Hope you guys are ready for 2 months of that awful oilers arena horn. That won't help with the arena atmosphere issues.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #1147
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know where to else to put this, but I was just bored and looking around at stuff, look at how Tampa acquired most of their forwards:

1. Kucherov - 2nd round 58th overall
2. Stamkos - 1st round 1st overall
3. Point - 3rd round 79th overall
4. Killorn - 3rd round 77th overall
5. Cirelli - 3rd round 72nd overall
6. Palat - 7th round 208th overall
7. Johnson - signed as an undrafted free agent
8. Gourde - signed as an undrafted free agent
9. Paquette - 4th round 101st overall

With scouting and development like that why would you ever trade away draft picks??

From 2007 to 2015 they drafted roughly 20 NHLers, that's absolutely astounding.

Anyways, I want Brayden Point on the Flames. They can just draft another one no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #1148
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I didn't give a #### that he didn't fight. He didn't show up. That's not me whining. He didn't do his ####ing job that night. Total missed opportunity by Lucic imo. He could have set Kassian straight right then and there.

He really did miss the boat here. He had a golden opportunity handed to him to win over this fanbase and he choked. Hard.

No matter what he does, his salary will be a problem for as long as we have to endure this contract, but for him to disappear against our biggest division rival in a pretty dirty game was ridiculous.

Yes, go punch the odd stranger with your glove on and we'll all think you're tough. Brutal.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #1149
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
With Johnny... you have Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and (most likely) Hall all here long-term to play the left side.

You have four main positions of need on the team, sorted here in order of priority:

Top-six centre
Top-six right wing
Top-four right defense
Long-term goaltender

You trade Johnny to cut down on costs, to preserve the effective depth of the team (guys like Backlund), and to address at least two of those positions. And you trade him because, of him, Mangiapane, Hall, and Tkachuk, he is the least likely to stay here for longer than two years.

Johnny is a great player and he helps this team win but you can make the team younger by trading him and you can address a couple of team needs by doing so. Get a young C or RW who you like. Get a right-shot defenseman to complete the future top-four. Get a couple picks to support a core around Tkachuk. That's the reasoning behind it.
That is a good post and sound reasoning.

But it also serves to highlight that the trade, should there be one, has to solve some of those problems - either one great piece, or two really good ones. But all these trade proposals for picks and prayers would gut the team and set it back by years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #1150
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I strongly doubt that you can acquire a C that is better than Monahan in a trade. So #1 C is out, and there is no way that Johnny should be traded for a #2 C. IMO, if the plan is to acquire Hall and move Johnny, then the return has to be for a #1 RW - not top 6, top line.

If it also includes lottery items, great. But it has to include a top line C, RW or top 2 Dman.

Otherwise the team is worse.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #1151
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I strongly doubt that you can acquire a C that is better than Monahan in a trade. So #1 C is out, and there is no way that Johnny should be traded for a #2 C. IMO, if the plan is to acquire Hall and move Johnny, then the return has to be for a #1 RW - not top 6, top line.

If it also includes lottery items, great. But it has to include a top line C, RW or top 2 Dman.

OK, so RW's from teams that would be in JG's wheel house, because let's be honest, despite there being no trade protection for Johnny, teams are going to know if they actually have a real shot at extending him or not:

PHI - Voracek
PHI - Konecny

NYR - Buchnevich

CAR - Terravainen
CAR - Necas

NJD - Palmieri
NJD - Gusev

BOS - Pasternak
BOS - Debrusk

NYI - Eberle
NYI - Bailey

WAS - Oshie
WAS - Wilson

BUF - Reinhart

CLB - Atkinson
CLB - Bjorkstrand
CLB - Anderson

PIT - Rust

Not seeing very many realistic options there. Seems like a true top line RW might be as big of a white whale for this club as a true #1C
Old 07-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #1152
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

#1 Centers just aren't typically available thru a trade. I can only think of Thornton and Seguin being the rarest of exceptions in the post salary cap era. What's crazy is that both of those guys were traded off the bruins, who lost both deals formidably, yet boston's won the cup and been to the cup finals twice during that time.

Pro Sports are an unfair love affair.. well at least they whooped the Canucks in their cup win.

So if this franchise intends to be a cup winner/contender, they had better be able to somehow draft that guy that greatly improves the "Monahan/backlund" top 2 centres on the team.

Last edited by bubbsy; 07-08-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #1153
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
#1 Centers just aren't typically available thru a trade. I can only think of Thornton and Seguin being the rarest of exceptions in the post salary cap era. What's crazy is that both of those guys were traded off the bruins, who lost both deals formidably, yet boston's won the cup and been to the cup finals twice during that time.

Pro Sports are an unfair love affair.. well at least they whooped the Canucks in their cup win.

So if this franchise intends to be a cup winner/contender, they had better be able to somehow draft that guy that greatly improves the "Monahan/backlund" top 2 centres on the team.
Other really good C's to move were Stastny, ROR (twice) and Duchene, who all came from the same team originally...the Avs, who still have Mackinnon and had their glory years with Sakic and Forsberg. Some teams are just #1C magnets, it makes me sick.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #1154
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
OK, so RW's from teams that would be in JG's wheel house, because let's be honest, despite there being no trade protection for Johnny, teams are going to know if they actually have a real shot at extending him or not:

PHI - Voracek
PHI - Konecny

NYR - Buchnevich

CAR - Terravainen
CAR - Necas

NJD - Palmieri
NJD - Gusev

BOS - Pasternak
BOS - Debrusk

NYI - Eberle
NYI - Bailey

WAS - Oshie
WAS - Wilson

BUF - Reinhart

CLB - Atkinson
CLB - Bjorkstrand
CLB - Anderson

PIT - Rust

Not seeing very many realistic options there. Seems like a true top line RW might be as big of a white whale for this club as a true #1C
Lindholm is this team's #1 RW. Mangiapane appears to be a guy trending to be able to take that #2 RW spot.

If Dube can find some consistency in his offensive game, I think he could play a part in the top 2 RW puzzle also, as early as Aug 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #1155
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some teams are going to be absolutely screwed by the salary cap in the upcoming season. Toronto is one that is desperately going to need to unload few medium or one top player. 5 mill in cap room with a few players to sign and only 2 defenceman (Muzzin and Reilly)

We could look at Nylander as a very possible target.

Or to really fix their top heavy roster would you try and see if Marner is movable? With Anderson Valimaki Hanifin Kyllington we could be a cap friendly defenceman move for them.

I don’t put it out the realm of possibilities with Tre already trying to get Kadri last year. I could see the leafs being a trade partner.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #1156
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would have zero interest in Marner under any circumstances but I would love Nylander. I think he's a much better player. I would have no reservations whatsoever about trading Noah Hanifin for him.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #1157
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Lindholm is this team's #1 RW. Mangiapane appears to be a guy trending to be able to take that #2 RW spot.

If Dube can find some consistency in his offensive game, I think he could play a part in the top 2 RW puzzle also, as early as Aug 1.
I quoted Enoch who's assertion was that a Johnny trade needs to return a top line RW, a top line C or a top 2 D.

Seems very unlikely on all accounts IMO.

More likely a Johnny trade could return a package of players with POTENTIAL to reach those heights, but haven't reached them yet, which of course is a gamble on the Flames part.

It also illustrates how New Era's proposal that he repeatedly puts up and is repeatedly scoffed at for, actually makes a crap ton of sense.

Top line RW = Voracek (0.87 ppg the last 5 seasons, 9th in the NHL for all RWs)

Then two pieces, a young C and a young RHD who both are just breaking into the league and have tremendous upside and pedigree.

I mean really, people crap all over it because they have visions of top ten picks and top ten prospects (I do too at times), but if you break it fills some needs, you're just risking that Voracek's play will fall off a cliff or that Frost/Myers won't reach their potential.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #1158
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Other really good C's to move were Stastny, ROR (twice) and Duchene, who all came from the same team originally...the Avs, who still have Mackinnon and had their glory years with Sakic and Forsberg. Some teams are just #1C magnets, it makes me sick.
You could throw Ryan Johannson into the list too, but like him, I don't put stastny or duchess in the "top line" C category.

That being said ROR has shown he's part of that conversation. Damn man, that's ROR, Stastny, Duchene all off the same team.

Yes, that makes me sick also
Old 07-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #1159
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would have zero interest in Marner under any circumstances but I would love Nylander. I think he's a much better player. I would have no reservations whatsoever about trading Noah Hanifin for him.
Marner would be an absolutely amazing player to add, but that cap hit is disgusting in a flat cap world for the next few years.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #1160
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nylander > Marner???
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread