Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #3961
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I understand why this is said, but I don’t necessarily agree with this term either though. It just creates more division. Some people’s lives are horrible despite skin colour.
But that's not what white privilege is. Anyone can have a horrible life, but white people do not have horrible lives specifically because of their skin colour. People get hung up on the term "privilege" because they think it represents special benefits, and a low-income, poorly-educated white person who came from a broken home with abusive parents certainly doesn't see him or herself as privileged. But that same person, as hard as their life is, doesn't have to deal with systemic racism in society that makes his or her life even harder just because of the way they look.

When white people aren't arbitrarily pulled over by the police, ordered to exit the vehicle, and patted down just because of their skin colour, they don't see that as a special benefit, that's just how everyone is in society is treated right? Except, as we know, that's not how everyone in society is treated.

Much like how the phrase "defund the police" causes some people to draw incorrect conclusions about what people are really advocating for, perhaps the term "white privilege" could be more accurately described as "non-white penalization". Would that terminology be more acceptable to people?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #3962
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

That makes sense. It is similar to defund the police in that regard, of which I was on the opposite side of the argument.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #3963
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I had just dropped a friend off in Stirling, which is just off highway 3 about 25 minutes SE of Lethbridge. I hadn't made it back onto the highway yet.

Rural Alberta is rampant with neo-Nazi groups, I have no doubt they are in the RCMP too.

edit: and thank you
Rural cops are the worst. As a teenager I got harassed a few times by RCMP, sometimes deservedly, but never got pulled out of my car and searched.

You’re a good person for picking up your friends. Hopefully this doesn’t prevent you from from doing it again.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #3964
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Rural cops are the worst. As a teenager I got harassed a few times by RCMP, sometimes deservedly, but never got pulled out of my car and searched.

You’re a good person for picking up your friends. Hopefully this doesn’t prevent you from from doing it again.
I still will, as much as my situation sucked, it's still more dangerous for one of them to drive. But next time, my best friend is sleeping in the spare room because I need that token white guy in the car with me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #3965
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Got pulled over again tonight, patted down. It's the same every time, there was magically a crime in the area by someone who fit my description.
I got pulled over on Friday after the Stampede fireworks. Got a warning for 66 in a 60 zone on Country Hills Blvd. 21 minute stop. Second car came after 9 minutes. They asked me to show them pictures on my camera of the fireworks "to show that I was down there". Pretty sure I'm under no obligation to show them, but it's legitimately what I was doing so I did.

Overall, CPS has been good to me so a 21 minute stop for pretty much nothing seemed unnecessary. I didn't get beat up, pat down, or killed so it's a victory. Agree with rural cops being the absolute worst. Also Lethbridge Police... screw those guys.

I posted it in another thread already but here is one of the pictures I got. Worth a 21 minutes traffic stop, I guess.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #3966
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man...thats the dream...'Token White Guy.'

Someone should start a business where you can rent them out for parties and events.

"Your job is to be present, White, and deal with the Police should the need arise."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #3967
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I got pulled over on Friday after the Stampede fireworks. Got a warning for 66 in a 60 zone on Country Hills Blvd. 21 minute stop. Second car came after 9 minutes. They asked me to show them pictures on my camera of the fireworks "to show that I was down there". Pretty sure I'm under no obligation to show them, but it's legitimately what I was doing so I did.

Overall, CPS has been good to me so a 21 minute stop for pretty much nothing seemed unnecessary. I didn't get beat up, pat down, or killed so it's a victory. Agree with rural cops being the absolute worst. Also Lethbridge Police... screw those guys.

I posted it in another thread already but here is one of the pictures I got. Worth a 21 minutes traffic stop, I guess.

And this is why we are fighting. I'm glad it worked out for you too Acey.But it's still so stupid we have to willingly comply to things that violate our rights just to protect our lives.

Also, that is an absolutely amazing photo, would it be cool if I saved it and used it as my desktop photo?
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #3968
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Okay amazing picture but that is completely unacceptable. Show that you were down there? What in the actual ####.

Despite hearing about how often this happens, I actually still can’t believe it happens this much.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #3969
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Someone should start a business where you can rent them out for parties and events.

"Your job is to be present, White, and deal with the Police should the need arise."
Glad you saw the humor in the comment
Old 07-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #3970
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Glad you saw the humor in the comment
THe world can be an awful, ugly place. Gallows Humor is always in style though.

Sometimes all you can do is laugh. The world might be a little better if we could all just have a laugh.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #3971
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Okay amazing picture but that is completely unacceptable. Show that you were down there? What in the actual ####.

Despite hearing about how often this happens, I actually still can’t believe it happens this much.
Sounds like it happens to me more than Acey, don't know if it's living in different places, or I just look more like a thug.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #3972
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
THe world can be an awful, ugly place. Gallows Humor is always in style though.

Sometimes all you can do is laugh. The world might be a little better if we could all just have a laugh.
It's a good coping mechanism, that's why it's so cathartic to tell funny stories about someone after they've passed.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #3973
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He phrased it in a way to try to make it seem conversational. It's a big camera and tripod and the camera was sitting in the passenger footwell with the tripod sticking up. I didn't realize that could look like something bad until he was halfway to the car but it was too late to move it at that point.

In fact I didn't fully understand what had happened till I debriefed the stop with my dad afterward and realized that he was hoping to catch me in a lie to then escalate in some other regard.

Quote:
Also, that is an absolutely amazing photo, would it be cool if I saved it and used it as my desktop photo?
Thanks, and absolutely... this one is maybe better for desktop. Spoiler for massive size.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Sounds like it happens to me more than Acey, don't know if it's living in different places, or I just look more like a thug.
Yeah it definitely happens more to you than me. I have a lot of piercings, 13, 14 or something... got them all a decade ago. I don't wear jewelery in any of them anymore except little transparent retainers in the holes I want to save. My hair was braided so I threw on a Flames toque before he got to the car, a hat I keep on the backseat of my car specifically for that purpose.

Last edited by Acey; 07-08-2020 at 09:35 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #3974
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

There are companies in Asia where you can be paid to be the token white guy. Sit in on board meetings, shareholder functions, inter-corporate dealings. You don't actually have to say or do anything, just being there gives the company more credibility for having a white guy in an executive position

And speaking of white privilege, nowhere exemplifies that more than SE Asia. The amount of preferential treatment you can get just for having white skin in those countries is insane
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #3975
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He phrased it in a way to try to make it seem conversational. It's a big camera and tripod and the camera was sitting in the passenger footwell with the tripod sticking up. I didn't realize that could look like something bad until he was halfway to the car but it was too late to move it at that point.

In fact I didn't fully understand what had happened till I debriefed the stop with my dad afterward and realized that he was hoping to catch me in a lie to then escalate in some other regard.

Thanks, and absolutely... this one is maybe better for desktop. Spoiler for massive size.

Spoiler!
Here's to it hopefully being a long time before either of us get pulled over again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #3976
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it definitely happens more to you than me. I have a lot of piercings, 13, 14 or something... got them all a decade ago. I don't wear jewelery in any of them anymore except little transparent retainers in the holes I want to save. My hair was braided so I threw on a Flames toque before he got to the car, a hat I keep on the backseat of my car specifically for that purpose.
That's exactly why I shave my head, don't need to have emergency hair cover. I don't have piercings, but I am pretty tatted up. But if I go out at night I always wear long sleeves because of that.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #3977
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's to it hopefully being a long time before either of us get pulled over again.
I only get pulled over maybe a once a year on average, especially now that I'm back in Calgary. This was the second time this year, and only once last year. First time was a blown passenger side rear turn signal bulb that I didn't know about. I had an extra one in the car and changed it right there.

Country Hills Blvd on a Friday night at midnight could be a cash cow for those guys, but instead they're gonna pull me over and waste 20 minutes just to give me a warning for 6 over. Good lord.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #3978
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Interesting poll regarding how some conservatives want to frame the defund the police conversation. Maybe some people are capable of grasping nuance more than we give them credit for

Quote:
Just 18% of voters think “defund the police” means “get rid of the police,” while 77% believe it means a call to action to change the way police operate.

https://politicalwire.com/2020/07/08...ice-literally/

Last edited by ResAlien; 07-08-2020 at 10:04 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #3979
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Interesting poll regarding how some conservatives want to frame the defund the police conversation. Maybe some people are capable of grasping nuance than we give them credit for

https://politicalwire.com/2020/07/08...ice-literally/
Sure seems that way - here is the actual poll question.
Quote:
34. When you hear people say they want to “Defund the Police” – do you think most of them really want to get rid of police departments or do you think most of them just want to change the way police departments operate?

Late June 2020
Get rid of police 18%
Change the way police operate 77%
(VOL) Don’t know 5%
(n) (867)
Here are a couple of other interesting responses from that poll.

Quote:
30. Has Donald Trump’s handling of the protests made the current situation better or made it worse?

Late June 2020
Better 20%
Worse 62%
(VOL) Neither, no impact 11%
(VOL) Don’t know 7%
(n) (867)
Bad news for Trump, but not really surprising.
Quote:
29. Do you think there is more racism, less racism, or about the same amount of racism among police officers than among other groups in society?

TREND: Late June 2020 Dec.2014
More racism among police 28% 25%
Less racism among police 14% 12%
Same amount of racism 51% 56%
(VOL) Don’t know 7% 8%
(n) (867) (1,008)
No significant change in attitudes there.
Quote:
26. Has the Black Lives Matters movement made racial issues in America better or worse, or has it not really changed things either way?

TREND: Late June 2020 July 2016*
Better 26% 10%
Worse 38% 48%
Not really changed things 32% 36%
(VOL) Don’t know 5% 6%
(n) (867) (805)
*Registered voters
Significant positive movement towards support for BLM, but still overall more people see it as a negative force.
Quote:
Do you think that racial and ethnic discrimination in the United States is a problem or not a problem? [If PROBLEM: Is it a big problem or a small problem?]

TREND: Late June 2020 Early June 2020 July 2016* Jan. 2015
Yes, big problem 67% 76% 68% 51%
Yes, small problem 10% 12% 12% 21%
Yes, but not sure if big or small 4% 4% 7% 9%
No, not a problem 17% 7% 10% 18%
(VOL) Don’t know 1% 0% 3% 1%
(n) (867) (759) (805) (1,003)
*Registered voters
That's the million dollar question... and almost zero change in response since 2016. That, I would not have expected.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #3980
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
There are companies in Asia where you can be paid to be the token white guy. Sit in on board meetings, shareholder functions, inter-corporate dealings. You don't actually have to say or do anything, just being there gives the company more credibility for having a white guy in an executive position

And speaking of white privilege, nowhere exemplifies that more than SE Asia. The amount of preferential treatment you can get just for having white skin in those countries is insane
Once again, Asia is ahead of the Curve!

Closed Thread