Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #841
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking over capfriendly there are very few possible trade partners. Other teams seem either set where they are, are waiting on their own RFAs, or have cap/roster issues of their own.

If Frolik, Brodie, Stone, and/or Jankowski are the consensus to move out, what are the Flames looking for? Simple cap relief and picks? Improvement at center with a player making less than $4M?

OTT has cap space, multiple 1st & 2nd picks - if they are not on Frolik's 10 team list, that seems like a good partner.

DET has some room on defence, is there a partner there?

Hopefully when the arbitration hearings start & end there will be some movement.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #842
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cam Atkinson is a RH shot RW who has scored 40 goals Vinny; that’s the main reason I’d dig him on the team because I think he would light it up with Tkachuk... obviously I wouldn’t want to trade for an expensive left winger when we already gave Johnny and Tkachuk.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #843
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 'boat anchor' in columbus is Alex Wennberg. He is an odd case, where his counting stats have gone down every year, but his international play has been solid. Does make you wonder if he would rebound away from Columbus. Either way, much more enticing than all of the Lucic and eriksson talk.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #844
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The 'boat anchor' in columbus is Alex Wennberg. He is an odd case, where his counting stats have gone down every year, but his international play has been solid. Does make you wonder if he would rebound away from Columbus. Either way, much more enticing than all of the Lucic and eriksson talk.
He doesn’t scream Tortarella player but can’t see CLB moving a 24 year old for a 32 year old James Neal. Agreed that this is the better way to go instead of an Eriksson or Lucic but can’t see it feasible for us, nor does he address the grit factor
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #845
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Looking over capfriendly there are very few possible trade partners. Other teams seem either set where they are, are waiting on their own RFAs, or have cap/roster issues of their own.

If Frolik, Brodie, Stone, and/or Jankowski are the consensus to move out, what are the Flames looking for? Simple cap relief and picks? Improvement at center with a player making less than $4M?

OTT has cap space, multiple 1st & 2nd picks - if they are not on Frolik's 10 team list, that seems like a good partner.

DET has some room on defence, is there a partner there?

Hopefully when the arbitration hearings start & end there will be some movement.
Teams that got out in front of dealing with their cap issues have fared much better than teams who have waited. Without a doubt the cap adjustment hurt a lot of teams who were expecting the cap to go up.

We are like a lot of teams wanting to lose cap and teams with cap space are in the drivers seat with options to pick from.

Treliving will have to be creative at this point to make cap space. May have to take a contract back to make some room, or eat salary. Example would be a hypothetical deal with Minnesota. They showed interest in Frolik at deadline and are trying to move Pateryn. Would Minny take Frolik for Pateryn? Saves us $2m this year but has an extra year on his deal.

Less than ideal but believe these are the types of deals we are looking at, in addition to a probable buyout of stone at this point in time.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #846
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Teams that got out in front of dealing with their cap issues have fared much better than teams who have waited. Without a doubt the cap adjustment hurt a lot of teams who were expecting the cap to go up.

We are like a lot of teams wanting to lose cap and teams with cap space are in the drivers seat with options to pick from.

Treliving will have to be creative at this point to make cap space. May have to take a contract back to make some room, or eat salary. Example would be a hypothetical deal with Minnesota. They showed interest in Frolik at deadline and are trying to move Pateryn. Would Minny take Frolik for Pateryn? Saves us $2m this year but has an extra year on his deal.

Less than ideal but believe these are the types of deals we are looking at, in addition to a probable buyout of stone at this point in time.
It's looking likelier to me that in the end it will be the flames moving Bennett and frolik in separate deals and then buying out stone.

Which probably means a worse team than last year and letting Brodie walk in the off-season.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #847
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It's looking likelier to me that in the end it will be the flames moving Bennett and frolik in separate deals and then buying out stone.

Which probably means a worse team than last year and letting Brodie walk in the off-season.
That seems like overkill. Why do the Flames need to clear out $10 million in salary?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #848
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Nightmare fuel:

Frolik for a 4th from NJD
Brodie for Juulsen & a 2nd from MTL
Buyout Stone
Neal & Bennett for Lucic & Puljujarvi
Sign Maroon as a UFA

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Puljujarvi
Mangiapane-Ryan-Lucic
Dube-Jankowski-Maroon

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Juulsen

Talbot-Rittich

Profit.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #849
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Well obviously they wouldn’t be trading for just 1 year of Brodie; it would be with the intent to extend him and they need to recoup picks now from gutting their futures.

Brodie + Jankowski + 20 1st + 21 2nd might be enticing enough but who knows. I agree though if he was available (which I don’t think he is as I stated) there would be a bidding war for him.
Well your initial thought was Brodie and Neal, so you can see why I was sceptical. I don't think you last proposal works particularly well for Calgary.

If they are willing to give up that package, they should be able to get a cheaper, younger and more cost controlled winger.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #850
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post

Agreed. Hopefully we can move Frolik for picks, buyout Stone, and trade Brodie in-season (a la Muzzin) once teams realize their issues or face injuries. It may result in blocked development for Valimaki/Kylington for a fem months, but I'd rather that then unload assets for pennies.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #851
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Buying out Stone and trading Frolik are two things that could each happen, but don't both need to happen. And the Flames should be avoiding buying anyone out whenever possible. They already have $1.5 million in dead money for three more years.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #852
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think once a few more things play out (RFA’s signing throughout the league, remaining UFA pool becoming PTO’s) that there will be a deal to be made for Frolik and for Brodie. For Stone I think we will either keep him on as a 7th/6th Dman or maybe we send him down to the AHL if the owners are willing to pay an NHL wage for AHL service to Stone.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #853
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I think once a few more things play out (RFA’s signing throughout the league, remaining UFA pool becoming PTO’s) that there will be a deal to be made for Frolik and for Brodie. For Stone I think we will either keep him on as a 7th/6th Dman or maybe we send him down to the AHL if the owners are willing to pay an NHL wage for AHL service to Stone.
The problem with Stone is that even if you send him down he's going to eat up 2.5 ish in cap space since you can only bury like 950 of his salary down there. Than factor in that his replacement will make 700k, and you only save about 250k in cap space. If you buy him out, than his buyout and the replacment are 1.9 or so, but you carry that 1.17 bogey for a second year. If you retain 50%, than between that and a replacement, you would clear about 1 million in space for this year, and have no dead money next year.

It's probably going to have to be Stone 50% retained, and a 3rd to one of the teams who have space and get a 6th or 7th pick in return.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #854
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone is marginally worse than Hamonic.

If it comes down to it, trade Hamonic to Winnipeg for a late pick instead of buying out Stone, or paying to get rid of him.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #855
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Nah, Stone is a lot worse than Hamonic.

And trading Hamonic for a late pick would be horrendous asset management.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #856
Toonage

Exp:

LMAO Jason Gregor you putz what is going on????

https://twitter.com/user/status/1152294757751648256

Just, what, yesterday he said its a no go? Now this?

For those who can't see the tweet:

"Just got a text today, Lucic would waive NMC to go to Calgary, if indeed a trade can be made. Interesting how things evolve. If, and I'm not say it will, but if a deal occurs, it would add some spice to the
#BOA."
Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #857
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic 50% retained + Puljujarvi and written consent that he (Lucic) will waive for Seattle for Neal and Czarnik. If JP goes to Europe for a year it saves the Flames $4M in cap space.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #858
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
LMAO Jason Gregor you putz what is going on????

https://twitter.com/user/status/1152294757751648256

Just, what, yesterday he said its a no go? Now this?

For those who can't see the tweet:

"Just got a text today, Lucic would waive NMC to go to Calgary, if indeed a trade can be made. Interesting how things evolve. If, and I'm not say it will, but if a deal occurs, it would add some spice to the
#BOA."
Lines up with what a confirmed source shared privately yesterday. As scary as the rumour was.

Only remotely palatable if Lucic agrees to not carry his NMC over. Being forced to protect him in the expansion draft would be brutal.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #859
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Lines up with what a confirmed source shared privately yesterday. As scary as the rumour was.

Only remotely palatable if Lucic agrees to not carry his NMC over. Being forced to protect him in the expansion draft would be brutal.
My nightmare fuel post above is coming true isn't it? Level with me. I can take it.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #860
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames were going to give Reeves 4 years at $2.75M last summer. Lucic at $3Mx 4 years is pretty much the same.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote