Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #541
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has has gone to a very very dark place. We aren't even through the second week of the off season.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #542
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
This thread has has gone to a very very dark place. We aren't even through the second week of the off season.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wolfman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #543
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

better be RNH at least
I’d be pissed if it’s RNH for Bennet.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #544
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

Obviously there would be more to it than that. But I could see why Bennett might want the opportunity to have a top 6 role - evidenced by Stauffer’s tweet asking such. And he clearly isn’t getting that behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

But I could see Edmonton making sense for him. It would have to be part of a bigger deal though.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #545
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I highly doubt RNH moves. I don’t see the Alberta teams being good trade partners.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #546
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Lucic is so bad with such a bad contract and needs protection from the expansion draft.

His value is so much worse than Neal's, which is not easy to imagine.

I wouldn't trade Neal for Lucic and a 1st round pick.

If, before the trade went through, the team could get it in writing that Lucic would waive his NMC for the expansion draft, then I would gladly take Edmonton's first round pick to swap Neal and Lucic. That's probably gonna be a high pick, because it's Edmonton. And Lucic, while not good, at least brings SOMETHING to the ice. Neal did nothing but "almost score" all season.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #547
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
According to my Oilers source Bennetts name is in trade talks. For who I do not know.
RNH is the only palatable/sensible return Tre would gun for that makes sense if we're involving Bennett.

Some kind of package for him..

Given the rumour of Brodie/Janko for Kadri/Brown,

Brodie/Bennett for RNH/JP is in a very similar vein as that attempted deal.

Not outside of possibility that it involves the boat anchors too, if speculation is true that Peters and Neal butted heads, leading to his getting scratched to finish. But I don't see the two rivals doing something too mind-blowingly massive. Neither is too keen on seeing the other get better at their own hand, if one team wins decidedly.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #548
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I highly doubt RNH moves. I don’t see the Alberta teams being good trade partners.
Hey, our side didnt start this. The Oilers megaphone did.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #549
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Understand to say as an Oiler fan with the recent history of transactions made by your club. Even with Holland in, you know the dark cloud of the OBC is still hovering around him and whispering in his ear. Last thing you want is Calgary taking advantage of your club next. That would be a new Lowe for you guys.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #550
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Trading Bennett would be insane. We're already the softest team.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:15 AM   #551
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Trading Bennett would be insane. We're already the softest team.
Agree completely. But there is the possibility that was brought earlier that Bennett may be asking for a move. Anyways, there's really only one scenario where Bennett to Edmonton doesnt make me throw my hat on the ground and stomp on it. And that's RNH and Poolparty. And I'd prefer not to deal with the Oilerz as well. Ship benny east if you have to move him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 AM   #552
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty safe to say that in any trade between Alberta teams that you (as an Oil fan) are not pissed I will be. You are worried. I am worried. Kinda fun though.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #553
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I definitely wouldn’t do a trade where Bennett and JP are the major pieces. But, in a hypothetical world where this is being discussed, some explanations could be that Bennett is LH and JP is RH, the Flames could pay JP less, the Flames may believe JP could be unlocked playing RW with Tkachuk and Backlund, and the Flames could easily move Mangiapane up the depth chart. What if paying JP less gave the Flames 1.5 more in cap space and allowed them to sign Tkachuk longer-term? I don’t know.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - JP
Mangiapane - Ryan - Neal
Dube - Jankowski - Czarnik
LW - Quine - RW
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #554
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
So yeah, I view a lot of what you post to be coloured by an anti-Bennett bias. I just don't understand why you hold the view of him you do. I don't get how someone doesn't like a young 23 year old winger who is not done developing, but who already plays with an edge and is one of our most competitive players when the games get important. He took good strides under Peters, and I think there is plenty of reason to believe that will continue.
Why do I hold the view I do? Because Sam Bennett has done very little since his rookie season. Because 26-27 points doesn't impress me. Because I don't think Bennett is a very good two-way hockey player and he is continually getting outscored by significant margins. Mostly I'm tired of the hype. I'm tired of the belief that Sam Bennett will suddenly find something in his game that is obviously missing. He has 312 games under his belt. He is done developing. It's not like he's going to magically become a smarter player or develop some new skill. Sam's best trait is his willingness to play physically and try really hard. I'm also really tired of hearing about a stretch of five games when the whole team shat the bed. I'm sorry, but I don't look past a real mediocre season just because a guy played hard during a very short playoff appearance. Mike Smith played really hard during the post season as well and I couldn't be happier to see him in an Oilers' jersey, because he was really mediocre to poor all season and the team is better without him. Bennett is in the same boat IMO. He's a player we can easily improve upon. I think we will miss his physical play, but that is a skill we should be able to go out and get if Treliving seriously thinks that is a problem.
And no, I didn't see any great strides under Peters. He's still the same player that has a muffin of a shot, that has plays die on stick, can't convert glorious opportunities, has a penchant for dumb penalties, and is on the ice for too many goals against. Bennett is a guy that should be looking over his shoulder because Dillon Dube and Andrew Mangipagne are looking for a full time gig, and Bennett's lack of production make him an easy target to be replaced. I would not be surprised to see Treliving deal him if there is an opportunity to fill a gap elsewhere on the roster. The sum of Sam Bennett's parts are underwhelming and the only reason he gets the latitude he does in these parts is because of his draft pedigree.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #555
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

People show you statistical evidence, again and again, that what you are saying is not true. Even some of your talking points, such as the taking dumb penalties, are outdated by a season. Minimizing issues like this show that the player is developing. He also passes the eye test as a good defensive player, tutelage by one Michel Backlund. He has no control over the defensive acumen of his linemates, which is why plus/minus is a bad tool to gauge defensive ability.

You've wanted this player gone for a while, and I think that you are selling him short, and need to either soften your stance or back off in calling him out every ten posts.

Or, you are slyly and brilliantly taking Sam Bennett down because you like the player, and it is a good way to have people come out of the woodwork to defend him. If that's the case; kudos.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #556
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thread - Brodie, Frolik, Stone etc. Only

I really think that there are enough Edmonton threads on CP
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #557
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Thread - Brodie, Frolik, Stone etc. Only

I really think that there are enough Edmonton threads on CP
You should have extended your bolding about 5 spaces to the left. "Etc." means "et cetera", latin for "and the rest."
In this case, the author was undoubtedly applying that word to the suite it followed: Brodie, Frolik, Stone. These are flames players, more specifically flames players who have had recent trade rumors attached to them. Ergo, this thread is to discuss players on the flames who have had trade rumors attached to them this off season.
If you go back a few pages, you will see that we are not discussing the Oilers, but discussing a rumor where Bennett (a flames player) is being offered to or discussed with the Oilers.
As such your comment is pointless. As per usual I guess.

Last edited by Monahammer; 07-13-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #558
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I'll preface by saying I am a huge fan of Bennett. I was so excited when we drafted him...more excited than when we drafted Monahan or Tkachuk.

But I feel like he's starting to get seriously overvalued on here. If Sam Bennett was on the Canadiens, we would value him as much as Flames fans value Lehkonen. If he was a Bruin, he would be valued like Heinen. He's only a tier or two better than a dime a dozen type player.

Bennett tops out as a 40 point guy. Playing with McDavid, maybe he gets 50. His feistiness is admirable, but the guy doesn't have great awareness. He trips and stumbles his way to the front of the net where the puck will hit his ass and bounce in. He's got a pretty muffin shot. He's not overly allusive or shifty, doesn't create space well. He plays with a mentality of mucking things up and hope something good happens.

All that said, he's not worthless. He's a darn useful player. But so is Nuge. If there's a deal like Brodie + Bennett for Nuge + Pulju you take it as a Flames fan 10/10.
I think there are those that overrate him, and certainly those that underrate him.

He's a good third liner.

Not a top six at this point for sure, but he's building some intangibles that are pretty important to the Flames, and shouldn't be over looked.

So if he's a good third liner he may still become a bolt on second liner for upside, while adding an element that Calgary sorely needs right now.

If you're flipping that player for a prospect that is failing due to hockey IQ or NHL speed processing there is certainly a risk.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #559
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No. he isn't. Sam Bennett has been given plenty of opportunity to play with very highly skilled players here in Calgary, and he's done jack. He's not going to to increase his production by 200% because he's playing with McDavid. If anything, McDavid sees a dip in his production from dragging Bennett around the ice. Saw what you want about some of the shlubs that have played with McDavid, those shlubs have at least shown a capacity to finish easy scoring chances. Sam Bennett plays hard but has shown an ability to make the easy scoring opportunity seem hard. I would not be concerned about Sam Bennett breaking out if he's traded. The last breakout Sam Bennett experienced was shortly after reaching puberty. If we can improve an important position by trading Sam Bennett, we make that deal every day.
Not entirely true.

I'd have to update the numbers, but the last time I compared the 2014 top forwards it had Reinhart and Draisaitl getting something like 78% of their ice time with top players and Bennett closer to 20%.

And I'm not in the "Bennett is going to pop!" crowd.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #560
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I don’t dislike Brodie because of his turnovers. I think that’s a function of how often he carries the puck, just like Gardiner. In fact, I like Brodie a lot (the only Flames jersey I own is of Brodie). His edgework is fantastic, and he has a high skill level.
For me I think it comes down to adding a new category for defenseman in this ultra quick era of hockey.

Transition Blueliner.

Brodie isn't an offensive defenseman, he isn't a shut down defenseman, but he's an elite transition defenseman.

Teams need that, and if they only have offensive guys and defensive guys it's hard to make the team go on a consistent basis. He's elite in that category and should be valued as such.

Calgary luckily has two young guys that really see the ice well for outlet passes in Valimaki and Andersson, and another that skates well enough to transition on his own (Kylington).

I've never felt it necessary to disparage Brodie in order to suggest the Flames may be smart to move on from him since they have a surplus and he's a UFA in a year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: