Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Vegas is unlikely to do any trades with Calgary unless

a) The return from Calgary is measurably better than what any other non Pacific division team is offering

or

b) The trade makes the Flames weaker in the short term

or

c) a third team is involved to act as an intermediary for the trade

Vegas is in win now mode and won't be doing anything to help a division rival if they can avoid it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we're trading with Columbus the only player that jumps out at me is Anderson. I see him as the wing version of Ryan O'Reilly. A guy that steps up with the games get tough and the play gets physical. Would love him on the Flames.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #23
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If we're trading with Columbus the only player that jumps out at me is Anderson. I see him as the wing version of Ryan O'Reilly. A guy that steps up with the games get tough and the play gets physical. Would love him on the Flames.
I love Anderson. Responsible RWer with some grit to his game. Can't see the Jackets wanting to move him but he'd definitely check a lot of boxes for Calgary
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #24
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at what other targets could fill that centre spot and to me the next clearest target is Tyler Johnson. Their depth chart looks like they could use Brodie, and they could do with Jankowski moving into their 3rd line C spot as Johnson exits.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-01-2019 at 10:32 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #25
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Looking at what other targets could fill that centre spot and to me the next clearest target is Tyler Johnson. Their depth chart looks like they could use Brodie, and they could do with Jankowski moving into their 3rd line C spot as Johnson exits.
This is the move I’ve been posting about too... the main issue against it, I think, is the term left for Johnson, and lack of term to Brodie. I would love to see this deal, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:15 AM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now that Kadri is off the board, what solid second line centres are potentially available for the Flames to target, assuming they want target a similar player? I could see Brodie back next year. I just don’t know what else is out there.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:22 AM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
So now that Kadri is off the board, what solid second line centres are potentially available for the Flames to target, assuming they want target a similar player? I could see Brodie back next year. I just don’t know what else is out there.
Preds reportedly want to move Turris. Doesn't have the same snarl as Kadri and his contract has the potential to be an anchor though.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #28
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really curious to see what plan b option the flames have now for brodie. I don't see many (if any) teams that are starved for d, have the cap room or the asset to improve the flames current roster.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #29
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The lack of movement from the Flames is a little worrying when you see so many other teams moving out cap space. I know some have had to pay through the nose to do it (cough leaps cough marleau) but others have done it in decent trades. As these teams move out their high cap hits it reduces possible destinations for those players we need to move.
I trust in Tre but it is a little too quiet for my liking but I guess that is how he works best, in the shadows.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #30
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames HAVE to make moves, thats the problem.
I'm sad that nothing has transpired yet.

Our current roster (24 players) which includes Gillies as the 3rd goalie has us sitting at roughly $85,941,708 which is $4,441,708 over the CAP.

This is an estimate based on the following player contracts (RFA's)

Tkachuk - 8.25M
Bennett - 2.75M
Mangiapane - 1.15M
Rittich - 2.5M

We're in trouble, we absolutely need to shed both Brodie and Frolik's salary make room for our young guys to move up and maybe even buyout Stone's contract if we want to dip into UFA/trade territory.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #31
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure it's worth trading Brodie. You're getting back a guy with similar contract situation or futures.

Only way if there is a #2C out there (not sure there is) I'd consider trading him. You can always get futures back at the trade deadline if the younger guys prove during the season that they can fill his spot.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #32
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Except both teams would be moving those players for cap relief, which neither is getting.

Plus Janko isn't likely good enough to play 3rd line C in Tampa Bay, since he's not good enough to play 3rd line C in Calgary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #33
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to look at what teams may have interest in Frolik based on their cap room, roster space, and playoff desire.

I feel like the teams that would most likely be interested in Frolik would be:

Winnipeg: 7 forwards signed, 3 major RFA forwards - They have wanted to keep him in the past, likely depends on outcome of RFA negotiations.

New Jersey: 11 forwards signed, 1 major RFA forward - Shero still wants to add to this team to compete in the Metro, they could use a defensive forward.

Columbus: 12 forwards signed, no major RFA forwards - They could use a strong 3rd liner who is good defensively and on the PK (PK was pain point against Boston).

Buffalo: 9 forwards signed, 3 RFA forwards - Buffalo still needs to add depth to their forward groups especially their middle six.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-02-2019 at 03:27 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #34
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Preds reportedly want to move Turris. Doesn't have the same snarl as Kadri and his contract has the potential to be an anchor though.
Turris would definitely have history with Treliving/Maloney and was the #3 overall pick in 2007 so if they still think highly of him I could see a fit.

Neal/Turris is an even swap IMO.

Supermatt - the team that intrigued me the most out of the ones listed is the Jackets; I think there could be potential around a Frolik + Jankowski for Wennberg swap; is that a fair trade? I think Wennberg could do well from a change of scenery and has a higher ceiling than Jankowski even though he regressed badly last year.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 07-02-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #35
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turris for Neal as an even swap would make a ton of sense on both sides.

They both have 40pt potential, and both played nowhere near that last year
They both carry similar cap hits, but they both are good value if they can rebound from last year
Neal's contract is done in 2023 at 35
Turris' contract is done in 2024 at 34

Similar risk, similar hope to rebound, both could benefit from a change (or return) in scenery and both could end up valuable parts to the team just by hitting 'Reset'

Will be interesting to see if GMs agree
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #36
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turris / Neal almost makes too much sense for both teams.

I doubt it would actually happen though - maybe during the season if both guys get off to slow starts again.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #37
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Turris hasn't played a full season since 2014, I'd be cautious going down that road.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #38
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not much talk about Czarnik. I could see him moved if anyone has any interest at all. May as well have a guy making the minimum for the amount he will likely play.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not much talk about Czarnik. I could see him moved if anyone has any interest at all. May as well have a guy making the minimum for the amount he will likely play.
A guy like Czarnik probably draws the most trade interest during training camp after teams see the current state of their prospects or suffer an injury.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #40
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess I don't see Turris for Neal making any sense at all for Nashville.

Turris is a better bet to bounce back in my opinion. He had 18 points in his first 30 games before the injury bug bit.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote