Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #341
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...Thanos' ethos was that there were too many mouths to feed and not enough food to go around so half of the Universe had to die.

Cool. I'm on board so far.

But there is space travel and apparently sufficient extraneous resources where destroying the odd planet here and there wasnt significantly impacting supply despite a clear perception of demand.

I mean, doesnt it make more sense for Thanos to found an inter-Galactic shipping company than to kill half of the inhabitants of the Galaxy?

The half that were left were just going to go at it like rabbits just like the last group did and you're eventually just going to end up in the same spot.

Perhaps an inter-Galactic 'Skip The Dishes' or 'Meals on (Spacecraft) Wheels?'

Remember, this is a guy (Titan) that is feeding an enormous army and consuming significant galactic resources to reduce a Galactic population to his perception of 'sustainable levels' which, I might add, he did not really provide alot of research or backup documentation for, it was very literally entirely anecdotal experience on 1 planet.

His entire premise is flawed in a perceptibly infinite Galaxy with incalculable resources.

So it was clearly just an excuse to rationalize his unquenchable bloodlust.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #342
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was working,

Whales were coming back into New York’s Harbours.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #343
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I know it’s not really something that would’ve suited the tone of the movie but I would have loved to have seen some conflict about whether or not they should bring people back at all. Based on how comfortable everyone seemed with their nice cars and houses, the talk of the environment benefiting etc. Even their little video conference made it sound like progress was being made to settle some of the unrest of having half of all life disappear.

They were clearly far better off than they will be now that the entire globe will descend into total chaos with 3.5 billion people suddenly appearing again after 5 years.

I think one of the major struggles could have been whether or not it was in everyone’s best interest to “fix” things. Having to kill Clint to save humanity from his crazy obsession to bring back his family could have made for a wonderfully dark ending (albeit unrealistic for Marvel to go that direction.)

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-19-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #344
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It was working,

Whales were coming back into New York’s Harbours.
Maybe it was, but that was only over a 5-year period, who knows what the long-term effects would have been?

I still maintain that people would just go at it until eventually the population reached the same levels as before.

Furthermore, you are again only citing anecdotal evidence from a single planet within an entire Galaxy. Sure, it may have been going great on Earth but other planets may not have fared so well.

Are you insinuating that you are morally oblivious to their plight?

I think its safe to say that Thanos' grasp of the Galactic Socio-Economic scenario was limited and tenuous at best and despite that he chose to remedy perceived but unproven circumstances through violence and reactionary measures rather than via critical thinking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 05-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #345
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, he's a psychopath. So yeah, violent and reactionary seems about right.

You won't be able to rationalize the way a psychopath thinks.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #346
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Well, he's a psychopath. So yeah, violent and reactionary seems about right.

You won't be able to rationalize the way a psychopath thinks.
Isnt simply branding him a psychopath a rationalization in and of itself?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #347
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that's what the directors themselves say he is. I suppose it is a rationalization, but its kind of the only way youre going to be able to comprehend what drives a murderous genocidal maniac. It's like asking serial killers to rationalize their killings. They may come up with why, but it won't make sense to you.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #348
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally saw it tonight and enjoyed it immensely
A couple questions
How did antman get back at the beginning since no one was there to pull him back?
How did Captain and Iron Man know both stones were back in the 70s?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:08 AM   #349
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Finally saw it tonight and enjoyed it immensely
A couple questions
How did antman get back at the beginning since no one was there to pull him back?
How did Captain and Iron Man know both stones were back in the 70s?
1. There was a rat that stepped on a button that triggered the quantum realm machine thing. Guess Doc Strange must've seen that in the first movie.

2. It made sense Tony knew about the Tesseract, because Howard Stark found it in the ocean after the events of Cap 1. SHIELD had the Tesseract from then to when Loki came to earth in Avengers 1. Cap wasn't getting a stone -- he was getting extra Pym Particles. Hank Pym was working for SHIELD at the time but they still would've had to guess about that one a little.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #350
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So...Thanos' ethos was that there were too many mouths to feed and not enough food to go around so half of the Universe had to die.

Cool. I'm on board so far.

But there is space travel and apparently sufficient extraneous resources where destroying the odd planet here and there wasnt significantly impacting supply despite a clear perception of demand.

I mean, doesnt it make more sense for Thanos to found an inter-Galactic shipping company than to kill half of the inhabitants of the Galaxy?

The half that were left were just going to go at it like rabbits just like the last group did and you're eventually just going to end up in the same spot.

Perhaps an inter-Galactic 'Skip The Dishes' or 'Meals on (Spacecraft) Wheels?'

Remember, this is a guy (Titan) that is feeding an enormous army and consuming significant galactic resources to reduce a Galactic population to his perception of 'sustainable levels' which, I might add, he did not really provide alot of research or backup documentation for, it was very literally entirely anecdotal experience on 1 planet.

His entire premise is flawed in a perceptibly infinite Galaxy with incalculable resources.

So it was clearly just an excuse to rationalize his unquenchable bloodlust.
He could just as easily have doubled the amount of resources with that snap. Or imbued everyone in the universe, even those not yet born, with a deep understanding of and interest in sustainability. Or just make everyone less materialistic, more cooperative and less fertile. He could literally have done anything else.

What Thanos did was at best setting the clock back a bit. In Earth, the number of resources spent likely got rolled back less than fifty years.

So yeah. Ultimately he was just fixated on killing people. I wouldn't necessarily call it bloodlust though? Maybe more just narrow-mindedness, obsession and megalomania.

In the comics Thanos just wanted to impress the (female) personification of Death who he had the hots for. (It didn't work.) In that story killing half of everyone made more logical sense, although made Thanos more pathetic and less interesting IMO. So I liked this version more. Plus it's obviously more topical.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #351
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
He could just as easily have doubled the amount of resources with that snap. Or imbued everyone in the universe, even those not yet born, with a deep understanding of and interest in sustainability. Or just make everyone less materialistic, more cooperative and less fertile. He could literally have done anything else.

What Thanos did was at best setting the clock back a bit. In Earth, the number of resources spent likely got rolled back less than fifty years.

So yeah. Ultimately he was just fixated on killing people. I wouldn't necessarily call it bloodlust though? Maybe more just narrow-mindedness, obsession and megalomania.

In the comics Thanos just wanted to impress the (female) personification of Death who he had the hots for. (It didn't work.) In that story killing half of everyone made more logical sense, although made Thanos more pathetic and less interesting IMO. So I liked this version more. Plus it's obviously more topical.

Possibly saw it as a just punishment for failing to act on the future? Why reward life of the universe that outcasted him as a psycho and constructs their own destruction with abundance, purely on the back of his sacrifice? Often times it can feel selfishly good to not only win, but to see your enemies in pain.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #352
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before he even had the idea of getting the Infinity Stones, Thanos' had come up with the culling solution to save his planet. He was called mad, dismissed and watched his people die.

The Infinity Stones gave him an opportunity to prove that he was right, that culling half the population would save the planets. Seems to somewhat fit in with the egomaniac persona that he has. It wasn't really about saving the world's he conquered, it was about proving to those who doubted him before.

And this can rectify how Gamora was listed as the "last of her species" in GotG despite Thanos believing he saved her world when he killed half of the population. He didn't bother to go back and check because he 'knows' his strategy was right.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #353
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Before he even had the idea of getting the Infinity Stones, Thanos' had come up with the culling solution to save his planet. He was called mad, dismissed and watched his people die.

The Infinity Stones gave him an opportunity to prove that he was right, that culling half the population would save the planets. Seems to somewhat fit in with the egomaniac persona that he has. It wasn't really about saving the world's he conquered, it was about proving to those who doubted him before.

And this can rectify how Gamora was listed as the "last of her species" in GotG despite Thanos believing he saved her world when he killed half of the population. He didn't bother to go back and check because he 'knows' his strategy was right.
In Infinity War Thanos did mention that since then her planet “every child born has seen nothing but clear skies and full bellies.”

Of course he could have been lying, but they also establish that as something he doesn’t really do. At least not well.

Last edited by Coach; 05-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #354
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
In Infinity War Thanos did mention that since then her planet “every child born has seen nothing but clear skies and full bellies.”

Of course he could have been lying, but they also establish that as something he doesn’t really do. At least not well.
"Nothing but clear skies and full bellies" is I think pretty obviously BS. (Regardless of whether or not Gamorra is "the last of her species".)

It's also exactly the kind of lie basically everyone tells themselves about something. To question the effectiveness of his "solution" would be to question his whole life's work and basically everything he believes. Much more convenient to just convince yourself that "everything is fine now because I did the thing I believe will fix everything".
Old 05-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #355
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the real tragedy that we're all missing is that Wong's standing invitation to Tony's Wedding is no longer going to happen.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:43 PM   #356
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I just finished re-watching the Avengers.

Captain America to Iron Man:

"You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play."

Funny how that worked out.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #357
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, so many call backs if you've been keeping up on all the various releases.

Some more stuff from Comic-Con

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #358
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, so many call backs if you've been keeping up on all the various releases.

Some more stuff from Comic-Con

Actually came in to link this. Good interview.

If you're an MCU fan or just interested in how they make these things, Jeff Goldsmiths podcast (Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith) is a treasure trove of fascinating information.

(He's the guy doing the interview. He interviews writers in his podcast. If you're a movie nerd, it's really highly recommended.)

Last edited by Itse; 07-23-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #359
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching Endgame. Great film, although I will admit I liked Infinity War better overall. But can't complain about much, as it wrapped up everything in a nice bow.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #360
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked endgame but I will say that I felt that Infinity War was just far better to me. Maybe its because they just did such a tremendous job of Thanos in Infinity War, He was somewhat sympathetic while he was a monster at the same time.

Instead in End Game he felt more like a cookie cutter villain right up until the end, though I loved the end of him.

I loved Fat Thor, he was brilliant, and that was all I could ask for in terms of the ending of Robert Downey Jr, and especially the meet up with his dad.

At times though I just felt that this movie was a bit too busy, and it was easy to lose track of things, especially in the final battle.

But overall it was a great way to wrap up this group of Avengers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: