Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2024, 01:26 PM   #1
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Shorts in the Winter - an honest question.

Is anyone able to shed light and help me to better understand the sect of the population that choose to walk around with shorts on in the Winter? I'm not talking someone who's clearly just come from the gym and is hopping out of the car to grab something at a store either. I've been there. I'm talking about dudes who are legitimately committed to this as a fashion sense and lifestyle when the temperatures are ridiculously unfit for it.

I never used to pay much mind to it, but it honestly weirds me out and I have a hard time looking past it when this behavior extends to the outdoors and the weather is simply unfit for it.

It seems like increasingly more guys can be seen around the city shoveling snow, walking their dogs or just puttering outside while it's 0 to -20 degrees out. It can't be comfortable, as these temperatures legitimately hurt after 5-10 minutes. So is it a mental barrier, deluded fashion sense?

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-15-2024 at 01:36 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:31 PM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm not a shorts-in-winter guy, but my legs don't really feel cold, so it wouldn't bother me at all to wear them in anything zero or above. It does seem to be a heavier-type of guy that does this, though. Maybe it's a style in the heavy-guy subculture?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:35 PM   #3
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You'd think it would be build related, but I have already ruled this out. I have a neighbor fully committed to this lifestyle and he is not heavy at all. I have also encountered several medium build types that also appear committed to this.

There's more to it than physique. I'm just not sure what it is.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:38 PM   #4
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wear shorts around the house all year round. Depending on the weather and how long I will be outside I don't bother changing and putting pants on. My temperature range is generally down to about -5 although if the sun is shining it doesn't feel as cold when you wear shorts.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 01:39 PM   #5
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I have a buddy who I'd describe as medium build, somewhat athletic who always wears shorts throughout the entire year... It's definitely not a badge of honor "I'm hardcore" type thing, he just does it.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:40 PM   #6
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's weird but my legs don't really get cold unless its -10 or below.

that said, it does look ridiculous so personally I don't wear shorts in the winter unless i'm in my house.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 01:42 PM   #7
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://time.com/6590927/wearing-shorts-in-winter-safe/

This touches on the "machismo" aspect that may be at play. Maybe these guys merely dabbled with it for a time and got in too deep to go back. Is it a fear of looking weak within their own mind if they were to go back to pants?
Old 03-15-2024, 01:42 PM   #8
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm not a shorts-in-winter guy, but my legs don't really feel cold, so it wouldn't bother me at all to wear them in anything zero or above. It does seem to be a heavier-type of guy that does this, though. Maybe it's a style in the heavy-guy subculture?
Fat guys tend to have fat legs, and as a former fat guy wearing pants was annoying because the legs were always too tight. Also fat guys have a lot more insulation from the cold, so wearing shorts in winter was never an issue. That was the worst part about losing the weight, I'm always cold now
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:45 PM   #9
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, mostly fatsos who are always running hot. The rest crave attention.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 01:45 PM   #10
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My legs also don't feel cold and im 145 soaking wet. That said I dont actively choose to wear shorts in winter but as another poster mentioned i wear them around the house so if i need to run to the grocery store im not changing. That said there are limits to that decision making process, anything id say -5 and up ill rock shorts with no thought if i already have them on in the house
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:45 PM   #11
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A traditional fat guy I can understand making this kind of lifestyle choice. The need from a comfort perspective and with the extra baggage is far more sensible than it is with a medium or slight build male who should by all accounts be freezing.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:49 PM   #12
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious, do you also question women who decided to wear dresses or short skirts in the winter? I know sometimes they wear pantyhose as well although I can't say whether or not pantyhose make any difference in taking the edge off the cold temperatures.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:51 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I wear shorts around the house all year round. Depending on the weather and how long I will be outside I don't bother changing and putting pants on. My temperature range is generally down to about -5 although if the sun is shining it doesn't feel as cold when you wear shorts.
I wear shorts around the house year-round as well, for similar reasons, but I dont wear shorts out of the house in the winter.

Largely because with shorts come sandals. With sandals comes no socks (feet prisons!!).

But if I have to say, run to the store, what am I going to do? Have my big coat on, shorts, socks and boots? I'd look like a lunatic. They'd commit me. They'd fit me for one of those coats that buckles at the back.

I'm not wearing sandals in the winter, even if the temperature is mild, because sidewalks and parking lots are slushy and slippery...no thanks.

At home, no problem. Out? Not gonna happen.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:58 PM   #14
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm curious, do you also question women who decided to wear dresses or short skirts in the winter? I know sometimes they wear pantyhose as well although I can't say whether or not pantyhose make any difference in taking the edge off the cold temperatures.
I think you're broaching an entirely different subject by injecting the ladies fashion into the equation, but it is a good question. It would never look completely ridiculous like a man does wearing a parka, toque and shorts no matter how badly they butchered it.

I would find a short skirt odd if it were -20, but as you say, it would be accompanied by pantyhose or leggings more often than not, and you certainly would be hard pressed to find a woman shoveling snow or walking their dog in this kind of attire. Maybe sneaking into the office or a club from the parking lot would be as far as most women would push an outfit like that.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-15-2024 at 02:01 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:02 PM   #15
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wear shorts around the house year-round as well, for similar reasons, but I dont wear shorts out of the house in the winter.

Largely because with shorts come sandals. With sandals comes no socks (feet prisons!!).

But if I have to say, run to the store, what am I going to do? Have my big coat on, shorts, socks and boots? I'd look like a lunatic. They'd commit me. They'd fit me for one of those coats that buckles at the back.

I'm not wearing sandals in the winter, even if the temperature is mild, because sidewalks and parking lots are slushy and slippery...no thanks.

At home, no problem. Out? Not gonna happen.
I'm with you although if it is not too cold or I'm going out quickly I will just throw a pair of socks on and some sneakers because I'm really too lazy to put on socks and pants. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:14 PM   #16
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm guessing it's people from Winnipeg holding out until the Bombers win another Grey Cup.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:16 PM   #17
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm the opposite of this.

My legs and feet are ALWAYS cold in winter. Discovering Eddie Bauer fleece lined jeans/pants has completely changed my opinion of cold. I'm way more comfortable and basically live in them from fall until mid spring.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:28 PM   #18
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a guy who is small build but runs hot and wears shorts most of the time. He’s also a cabinet maker (builds furniture) so he’s always in motion which keeps him hot. He’ll shovel in shorts if it’s cold, but I think that’s mostly a convenience thing for him. When he’s going out for dinner he will put pants on.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:33 PM   #19
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's "never-nudes" who are becoming more comfortable outing themselves.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:14 PM   #20
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Run in shorts year round -- granted I'm not in Calgary so my "coldest" runs are about -2C - 3C. But like others have said, also wear shorts year round in the house so if I'm just running an errand or two, shorts it is. You're outside for maybe a minute at a time going from car to store so meh.

On the other hand, on our winter hikes, that's definitely a pants thing until the starting temperature hits around 10C, although this week might be an exception. Supposed to be super sunny but only about 5C at the start, but it's a hike with little shade so will probably do the shorts thing this week. High of 22C
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote