Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Who do you want to be starting goalie? (Poll revisit from May)

I know it's still early in the season but lets re-visit the CP poll from May 2017 asking the question "Who do you WANT to be the Flames Starting Goalie for 2017-18 season?"

Did Treliving make the right choice? 94.4% of us went with someone else at the time (myself included)

Bishop & Darling were not part of this poll as they had already been traded and signed but I've included them for comparison. Also Mike Smith's cap number is $4.25M (partially covered by Arizona).

Original Poll: Who do you WANT to be the Flames Starting Goalie Next Season [*NEW POLL 12·05·17]

Last edited by FlamesFanFromBC; 10-19-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added link to original poll
FlamesFanFromBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanFromBC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

IIRC i wanted Condon....but very happy with Smith thus far, that's for sure.

Oh...and those Steve Mason numbers? Yikes.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bishop was my first choice followed by Fleury. I'm pretty satisfied with what I chose back then when you look at the numbers now. Sucks that Fleury got hurt though.

Smith has been a mild surprise. I was hoping for about .915-.920 Sv%. He's been arguably the team's MVP in the first few games of the year.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

It is way to early however as of right now, there is no question that he made the right choice. I also thoroughly enjoy Smiths compete level. The guy hates to lose and wears his emotion on his sleeves which is rare and can be detrimental to a goalie but has worked out well for him.
I also didn't factor in just how big it would be for this team to have a goalie who can play the puck! There has to be 6+ pucks stopped behind the net for a flames breakout that would have resulted in the other team cycling it in our zone without Smith.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I must say I was nervous about Smith. Too old, bit of a hot head, no pedigree in the last few years.

Time to eat some crow. Dude has been lights out. I still worry that it is unrealistic to expect he will maintain his current level of play which, right now, we need to win games. If the D gets its act together (as they have been brutal defensively by any objective measure), then I think this team has the goaltending to make a deep run.

Last edited by Duffalufagus; 10-19-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fleury would've also been a good choice, but aside from him, Smith is handily better than the rest of the list, at least for what this team needed in a starter. Which was a proven starter that can give them a chance, and apparently the puck handling ability also is beneficial.

Bishop's cap hit would've hampered our chances at adding Jagr, also he had no desire to come here, so not too much regret there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why not post the link to the poll?
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Why not post the link to the poll?
he made it easier and included the results in his table.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the Yotes are still a bad team, but boy am I glad we dodged that Antti Raanta bullet by the way he's looked.

Bishop's been great for the Stars but that contract could get ugly at any time. I voted for Fleury but I feel it's pretty even between him and Smith thus far.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you look at Mike Smith's past three seasons of work, his six-game rolling average save percentage has been as low as .853 and as high as .956, with an average of the entire span of .911.

Simply put, six games is far too little to make any reasonable judgement on - and all the other goalies have fewer than six games played. But, Smith has been terrific so far!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott with 3 wins with those numbers?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have been a frequent detractor of Mike Smith, but i am HAPPILY eating crow. Still uneasy about Lack, if he fails I hope BT brings up Rittich-leave Gillies to marinate one more year, Rittich has played pro for a while and could use a shot.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yikes...Steve Mason is the only guy in that entire list who lost more games in regulation than Mike Smith!
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I love Smith. I can't wait until he snaps....losses it....says pardon....head fakes some goalie crasher and comes in with a shot to the solar plexus with his goalstick.lol.

I love his level of compete and was screaming for him to snap Perry in half during the ducks game.....he got the last laugh which was awesome.

I love crazy goalies. Hextall, Roy, Billy Smith, Sean Burke.....all nasty tempers but good goalies.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #15
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted Bishop then Fleury and wanted nothing to do with Smith. Definitely eating crow right now with only Fleury being the guy that I might still prefer. Much rather have Smith the way he is playing than 5-6 years of Bishop at bigger dollars.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was indifferent to the Smith acquisition. Was hoping for the best, but wouldn't have been surprised with the worst.

How happy I am that he has thus far turned into the team's MVP. He's a battler and proving Treliving right, so far. The fact that BT got Arizona to pay 25% of his contract makes it even sweeter.

Very happy with the acquisition so far. Bishop was the guy I was kind of hoping for, but Smith is the perfect stop gap. I'd take Smith at his great play now for the next 2 years and hopefully have one of the prospects slot in afterwards, rather then Bishop for his contract and create a goalie logjam down the road when one the guys in the AHL are ready to step in.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #17
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pushing for Smith from the get go. Hopefully he keeps it up.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went Smith back then, couldnt be happier on how its started. I wanted Elliott as a back up 1A
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I went Korpisalo because I liked his upside. If we had a poll with all the veteran NHL goalies Smith would've been my second choice of them after Bishop. Never been a big Fleury, Halak or Mason fan.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #20
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I love Smith. I can't wait until he snaps....losses it....says pardon....head fakes some goalie crasher and comes in with a shot to the solar plexus with his goalstick.lol.

I love his level of compete and was screaming for him to snap Perry in half during the ducks game.....he got the last laugh which was awesome.

I love crazy goalies. Hextall, Roy, Billy Smith, Sean
Burke.....all nasty tempers but good goalies.
[YOUTUBE]https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=12s&v=Fqje98Rit_A/YOUTUBE]

I'm with you. Goalies with character are cool.

Last edited by spuzzum; 10-21-2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Fixing link
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote