Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 10-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #21
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Not quite like Wahl, Boyd, and Reinhart. Tough to keep it up for the whole season but if he does then he's in a different league from those guys best years in the WHL.

Wahl: GP: 72 G: 30 A: 66 P: 96
Boyd: GP: 64 G: 48 A: 42 P: 90
Reinhart GP: 61 G: 28 A: 50 P: 78
Phillips* GP:72 G: 65 A: 108 P: 172
*Pro-rated
Looking at WHL league leaders since 2000 only Troy Brouwer, Nicolas Petan, Oliver Bjorkstrand & Brendan Leipsic are paying in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong it's a great sign that they are having success at the junior level but a majority of the time it doesn't translate to NHL success.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Dube at training camp and throughout the summer, you can definitely see an NHLer in him, as opposed to some youngsters that play like juniors trying to fit in. Very impressed.

Phillips is as fun a player to watch in junior as I've ever seen, but he has a long way to go to have success at the next level. He needs to simplify his game and try to be more slippery and elusive like Johnny.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #23
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanFromBC View Post
Lighting it up in the WHL like past Calgary Flames legends Max Reinhart, Mitch Wahl & Dustin Boyd
In all fairness to Wahl, who knows how good he could have been without that injury that turned him into a ceramic doll.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #24
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanFromBC View Post
Looking at WHL league leaders since 2000 only Troy Brouwer, Nicolas Petan, Oliver Bjorkstrand & Brendan Leipsic are paying in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong it's a great sign that they are having success at the junior level but a majority of the time it doesn't translate to NHL success.
Oh, for sure, WHL success is no guarantee of NHL success. That being said, there are some encouraging players too like Tyler Johnson and Brayden Point mixed in with the Petan's and Shinniman's. Some reason for optimism
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to commend CP for overcoming a pretty shoddy OP to have a solid discussion.

I think Dube is going to be a big difference-maker type of winger in his career. When I see him I think of Chris Kunitz and Justin Williams. Guys that aren't necessarily known for lighting up the scoresheet, but guys that are winners, doing all the little things that teams need throughout the course of a game; a season; a playoff series. I'm pretty excited about adding both he and Jankowski full time next year.

Phillips is someone I consider a long shot. Despite impressive skills, he barely made an impression at rookie camp (or any previous showing), indicating that he's likely going to struggle to translate his game to pro. I'll be happy to be wrong about him, but most undersized guys struggle to become pros.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #26
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We need some of these prospects to do well. It's not like the Flames have a lot of good draft picks in the next few years. Our first pick this year is in the 3rd round and we're missing a 2nd and 3rd next year too.

Thankfully, the Flames core is pretty young and our stable of prospects is as strong as I can remember. What a time to be alive.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #27
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
[Phillips] needs to simplify his game and try to be more slippery and elusive like Johnny.
Aren't those pretty much opposites?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #28
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I just want to commend CP for overcoming a pretty shoddy OP to have a solid discussion.

I think Dube is going to be a big difference-maker type of winger in his career. When I see him I think of Chris Kunitz and Justin Williams. Guys that aren't necessarily known for lighting up the scoresheet, but guys that are winners, doing all the little things that teams need throughout the course of a game; a season; a playoff series. I'm pretty excited about adding both he and Jankowski full time next year.

Phillips is someone I consider a long shot. Despite impressive skills, he barely made an impression at rookie camp (or any previous showing), indicating that he's likely going to struggle to translate his game to pro. I'll be happy to be wrong about him, but most undersized guys struggle to become pros.
I bet you I’ll eat a burger If Phillips doesn’t become as good as Gaudreau...
Did I do it right?? I’m eating a burger either way actually.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #29
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Andrew Mangiapane needs some love
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #30
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

In seriousness this article was done right after drafting Phillips

It discusses how small he was when he got drafted at 5’6 140 lbs and how Gaudreau was drafted at 5’6 141 lbs; it also has Johnny talking about giving advice on getting stronger lower on the body and adding that to his game - Phillips talks about needing to add more power in his game to be explosive.

Now since that article Phillips has jumped to 5’7 155 lbs (15 lb increase is pretty decent in 1 1/2 yrs) via his WHL profile page has seen a jump in production from his draft year (76 in 72 / 1.055 PPG) to draft + 1 (90 in 70 / 1.285 PPG) and is now looking explosive early (25 in 11 / 2.27 PPG)

Is he a dark horse ? Definitely but I do think his boom potential is real and warranted - should be intresting to see if he can make a regular spot on the world juniors stage and perform.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 10-18-2017 at 08:40 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #31
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Andrew Mangiapane needs some love
That’s why your here
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #32
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't really a fan of Mangiapane until I saw what he could do at the AHL level. He's not slow, but he could use a little more work on his skating.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #33
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think it's a long shot for any prospects to make the Flames.

It Mark Jankowski can't stick after outplaying half the team in training camp what hope does Dube, a lesser prospect, have of outplaying Jankowski to take the 1 slot possibly up for grabs next year? Calgary's getting deeper upfront, so I'm not sure the NHL can be a reality for Dube anytime soon.

And yeah, flame away, I know this will be unpopular because it's negative. Just my opinion.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #34
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does Phillips really excel at?
For Johnny you could tell his dangles and IQ were off the chart.. I don't see the dangles for Philips, is his IQ exceptional?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Cali...

Dube is hell-bent for the NHL. He is fast approaching blue-chip status and I think he could be NHL-ready as early as next year.

Phillips on the other hand, despite having elite level skills, is a long shot. Against junior-level defensemen, he is a star. But against bigger, stronger, faster defensemen, he quickly gets pushed off his game. He has a big hill to climb.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #36
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

It Mark Jankowski can't stick after outplaying half the team in training camp what hope does Dube, a lesser prospect, have of outplaying Jankowski to take the 1 slot possibly up for grabs next year? Calgary's getting deeper upfront, so I'm not sure the NHL can be a reality for Dube anytime soon.

And yeah, flame away, I know this will be unpopular because it's negative. Just my opinion.
I for one would bet that Dube gets at least a year of seasoning in the AHL before making the jump.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #37
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

This year, yes. It will be difficult for anyone not named Jankowski to crack the NHL roster, barring LTIR.

However, after this season Stajan is gone. Perhaps some or none of Versteeg, Jagr, Glass, Bartkowski remain. There is opportunity there, it just may take another season or an injury bug for it to show itself.

Also, this organization has signaled to everyone top down and the rest of the teams that we are in win now mode. If prospects aren't being given an opportunity when the team is in that kind of stage, they should understand why.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #38
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
What does Phillips really excel at?
For Johnny you could tell his dangles and IQ were off the chart.. I don't see the dangles for Philips, is his IQ exceptional?
From what I've heard/seen, he has great positioning.
As a small guy, he also has the ability to accelerate quickly (but his top speed isn't the greatest). He's very good at maintaining possession. Opposing defenders are rarely able to take the puck away from him as he skates through. His passes are usually spot on. I do worry that at high levels, it will be a lot harder for him to distribute the puck when there's less time and space.

I have hardly ever seen him get hit. That's always promising for a guy of diminutive stature.
I bet he'll light it up in the AHL during his rookie year.
In days past, players like this were either top 6 or bust. But now the NHL in evolving into a top 9/bottom 3 league.

Prospects like this are always fun to watch.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #39
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I think Dube is going to be a big difference-maker type of winger in his career. When I see him I think of Chris Kunitz and Justin Williams. Guys that aren't necessarily known for lighting up the scoresheet, but guys that are winners, doing all the little things that teams need throughout the course of a game; a season; a playoff series.
Stylistically I'd say he's a lot more similar to Andrew Cogliano. Neither Kunitz nor Williams are burners. Cogliano has very similar skating and size to Dube.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #40
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does any of this matter? Won't the Flames just continue to sign Tanner Glasses and keep these guys in the AHL until they go elsewhere?

Only kind of kidding...
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post: