Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2017, 11:21 PM   #221
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now do a match on McGregor's turf the octagon with ufc rules!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #222
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah McGregor was impressive for a guy who doesn't box. Lasted 10 rounds and won a few of those against the best boxer of the last decade. Took a bit of a licking and walked away with 75-100 mil us which he earned with his promoting work alone.

I am glad it was entertaining and no one got seriously hurt - putting a guy in the ring for his first pro boxing match at that level had the potential to end badly
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #223
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

King Floyd

Retire in peace Champ
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:42 PM   #224
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys really need to watch TSN. Russ Anber doing all he can from knocking out that MMA idiot Robin Black. That was some Trump-level propaganda he was spewing. hahaha
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #225
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
You guys really need to watch TSN. Russ Anber doing all he can from knocking out that MMA idiot Robin Black. That was some Trump-level propaganda he was spewing. hahaha
Missed it. Russ Amber is a pretty cool character. Robin Black is such a self promoting MMA fanboy. Just curious what was said?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:14 AM   #226
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Now do a match on McGregor's turf the octagon with ufc rules!
No, he needs to defend his goddamn belt for once.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:35 AM   #227
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Missed it. Russ Amber is a pretty cool character. Robin Black is such a self promoting MMA fanboy. Just curious what was said?
Black was basically trying to say that CM's lack of style and balance was unique, made for an exciting fight and would be good for boxing.

Amber rightly said that if you fight without balance and style your punches go nowhere and if you do land one it's has doesn't have nearly the maximum power you want it to have.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #228
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Russ Amber is right, no one else from boxing should try to make this jump. However, a three-fight non-UFC MMA fighter would annihilate Mayweather and Macgregor just went 10 rounds.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 AM   #229
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

50-0*

Should that be Floyd's record? Asterisk cuz he beat some guy who has never boxed and it took "TBE" 10 rounds to take him out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #230
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPuck View Post
50-0*

Should that be Floyd's record? Asterisk cuz he beat some guy who has never boxed and it took "TBE" 10 rounds to take him out?

They set them up, he knocks them down period. No astrix.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #231
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Russ Amber is right, no one else from boxing should try to make this jump. However, a three-fight non-UFC MMA fighter would annihilate Mayweather and Macgregor just went 10 rounds.
I keep seeing this statement made but honestly it's really not comparable.

Every MMA fighter trains for some type of standup/boxing during their regular fight prep since it is part of their sport.

No boxer trains for the Wresting, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, etc as part of their regular training since it has nothing to do with their sport.

Best example I saw was would be comparing a track and field star who competes in the Decathlon training to go against Bolt in a 100M race.

You would expect the decathlon athlete to be able to at least come within 1 second of Bolt in the 100M since he trains for it as part of his sports but you would never expect Bolt to be able to go do Long Jump, Shot Put, Discus, Pole Vault, etc since he would have never trained for it as part of his sprint training.

To me that makes sense. Boxing is a discipline within MMA so going from MMA to boxing is feasible since they would probably have some standup training their whole life but Boxing has very little to do with the other disciplines in MMA so you wouldn't expect somebody to be able to transition the other way with 3 months of training.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-27-2017 at 07:37 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #232
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Black was basically trying to say that CM's lack of style and balance was unique, made for an exciting fight and would be good for boxing.

Amber rightly said that if you fight without balance and style your punches go nowhere and if you do land one it's has doesn't have nearly the maximum power you want it to have.
Yup, it's posted on TSN's site now. Earlier in the day CP24 (a local new station here in Toronto) had Black on and he was saying that nobody in the world studies the sport as much as he does, and he thought McGregor would win. The way he said it was so pompous, and because he self claims to be such an expert, he shouldn't be questioned. What a joke. Anyway, I really don't like that guy, because he's all about "me", when he has nearly no credibility. This is the guy TSN is employing as your MMA "expert"? lol

bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #233
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

After sleeping on it, I will say that while Conor did exceed expectations, he showed that he would have lost to virtually any semi-competent boxer in the world simply because he was absolutely done after the third round. Crazy thing is his work rate wasn't even that high, he was only throwing about 43 punches a round, the vast majority of which had little behind them. I'm guessing the switch to 8oz gloves probably got Conor another two rounds longer, he basically stopped defending himself early in the ninth round. Conor definitely did nothing to embarrass himself, but he also did nothing to show he would be able to win any match without a knockout, and as it turns out he really doesn't have that good of one punch power.

Also if it seemed like the crowd atmosphere was weak last night, it's because it was. Only 14,623 in attendance, while T-Mobile's capacity is 20,000. Probably should have done the fight at MGM after all and let Ice Cube hang on to T-Mobile. But PPV is all they really cared about and since it crashed they probably broke the PPV record (and almost certainly the illegal streaming record as well).
Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #234
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Yup, it's posted on TSN's site now. Earlier in the day CP24 (a local new station here in Toronto) had Black on and he was saying that nobody in the world studies the sport as much as he does, and he thought McGregor would win. The way he said it was so pompous, and because he self claims to be such an expert, he shouldn't be questioned. What a joke. Anyway, I really don't like that guy, because he's all about "me", when he has nearly no credibility. This is the guy TSN is employing as your MMA "expert"? lol
Almost a decade old now, but I still love Gerry Dee's interview with that dummy about MMA. I know it's shtick and they may actually be buddies, but he still threw some pretty solid chirps at Robin.

Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #235
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I give McGregor all kinds of credit for sticking around for 10 rounds, that's impressive considering that the cardio requirements for boxing and the technique requirements for boxing are completely different.

However on the other side of it, truthfully he was facing a 40 year old Mayweather that hadn't been in the ring in a couple of years. Once Mayweather knocked off his ring rust this one was over.

It was a stupid fight concept from the very start.

Its equivalent to the whole put a caveman and an astronaut in a fight with each other and wonder what would happen.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #236
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPuck View Post
50-0*

50-0 without the asterick would be right, but no one in boxing recognizes him to be TBE anyways. His opponents were hand picked and although some will be in the hall of fame, most of them were past their prime when Floyd finally decided to fight them.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #237
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
50-0 without the asterick would be right, but no one in boxing recognizes him to be TBE anyways. His opponents were hand picked and although some will be in the hall of fame, most of them were past their prime when Floyd finally decided to fight them.
He is not even remotely in the convo for TBE. Personally I would say Sugar Ray Robinson would be my pick for that.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #238
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I give McGregor all kinds of credit for sticking around for 10 rounds, that's impressive considering that the cardio requirements for boxing and the technique requirements for boxing are completely different.

However on the other side of it, truthfully he was facing a 40 year old Mayweather that hadn't been in the ring in a couple of years. Once Mayweather knocked off his ring rust this one was over.

It was a stupid fight concept from the very start.

Its equivalent to the whole put a caveman and an astronaut in a fight with each other and wonder what would happen.
I don't even think it was ring rust though. Mayweather just let him punch himself out, and then put him down. Conor lasted ten rounds because Floyd let him. Basically he toyed with him and decided in the 9th round to end it. McGregor survived that and managed to run around for part of the tenth.

I think after the first round in Floyd's corner they even said that he was going to be punched out after 4 rounds. It was just a good game plan for Floyd.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #239
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
After sleeping on it, I will say that while Conor did exceed expectations, he showed that he would have lost to virtually any semi-competent boxer in the world simply because he was absolutely done after the third round. Crazy thing is his work rate wasn't even that high, he was only throwing about 43 punches a round, the vast majority of which had little behind them. I'm guessing the switch to 8oz gloves probably got Conor another two rounds longer, he basically stopped defending himself early in the ninth round. Conor definitely did nothing to embarrass himself, but he also did nothing to show he would be able to win any match without a knockout, and as it turns out he really doesn't have that good of one punch power.

Also if it seemed like the crowd atmosphere was weak last night, it's because it was. Only 14,623 in attendance, while T-Mobile's capacity is 20,000. Probably should have done the fight at MGM after all and let Ice Cube hang on to T-Mobile. But PPV is all they really cared about and since it crashed they probably broke the PPV record (and almost certainly the illegal streaming record as well).
I agree with more of this perspective than the "A+ for effort" that MacGregor is being lauded with. The only reasons why the fight didn't end earlier with MacGregor's embarrassment is of Mayweather's style and complete control of the match.

On the illegal streaming note, it was amazing to see the lengths that some people would go through. Likes of YouTube and Ustream were obviously taken down quickly. Loads of other streaming host sites being used as plan C, D, and E were also down. Saw attempts that included FBLive (that didn't last) and eventually Periscope of all things became the saviour.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #240
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't even think it was ring rust though. Mayweather just let him punch himself out, and then put him down. Conor lasted ten rounds because Floyd let him. Basically he toyed with him and decided in the 9th round to end it. McGregor survived that and managed to run around for part of the tenth.

I think after the first round in Floyd's corner they even said that he was going to be punched out after 4 rounds. It was just a good game plan for Floyd.
It was the only game plan for Floyd. He wasn't going to win a fight in the first 4 rounds trying to go toe to toe with McGregor opening him self up to get tagged hard. It was always going to come down to how much stamina McGregor had and we found out that it was probably enough for 5 rounds as he had nothing on his punches after that and was gassed. I will give McGregor credit for not looking out of place and looking pretty competent as a boxer but I am surprised at the lack of power. He hit Mayweather in the first three and a half rounds but nothing really that damaging. The fact it went 10 rounds and there wasn't a knockout is really a win for McGregor IMO as boxing's best within it's own rules couldn't put down an good MMA fighter.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote