Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #241
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I appreciate wanting to be patient with him and groom him to be a good C, but man I just see him on the wing as making so much sense. Heck, he'd probably get less penalties too since he wouldn't be fighting guys down low as much and could slot in with top six linemates and bring up Janko.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #242
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have 3 top nine centres and Jankowski being groomed (and close to ready) as another. Something’s gotta give. Either Bennett replaces Backlund or someone moves to the wing. It almost seems Bennett is being groomed along the Backlund path, though it’s hard to imagine the Flames wouldn’t renew Backlund.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #243
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What if we switched out Janko and Bennett right now? Put Bennett in the A so he can figure out whats going on at Centre, have him getting a bunch of points, and if it doesn't work while he is still down there turn him into a winger?
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #244
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Maybe Gulutzan should experiment tonight. Put Bennett on Lazar's wing with Versteeg on the right side. See how it looks.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #245
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hate this thread. Sam is 21 years old. A 23 year old Backlund put up a monstrous 4 goals and 7 asssists in 41 games. A 21 year old Backlund would have been traded for Brandon Sutter if this over reacting board had its way. Chillllll.....

Last edited by gunnner; 10-21-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: edited to make sense..or at least sort of sense
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #246
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
I hate this thread. Sam is 21 years old. A 23 year old Backlund put up a monstrous 4 goals and 7 asssists in 41 games. A 21 year old Backlund would have been traded for Brandon Sutter if this over reacting board had its way. Chillllll.....
Can we stop using Backlund as an excuse for Bennett? Yes, it's very possible Bennett is just a late bloomer, but more often than not that's not the case.

Bennett was drafted 4th overall. He's expected to put up bigger numbers earlier in his career. Backlund was projected to take a while longer, hence he was drafted lower.

We all know Backlund worked out in the end, that doesn't change the fact that Sam Bennett isn't performing at the level he was expected to.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #247
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Enough with the excuses that he's still young,that he hasn't hit his prime...yadda yadda. He's making $2 million on the big boy club and is expected to perform. Our window of contention is in the next few years before Brodie/Hamonics contract expire. If he isn't suited for centre,put him on the wing now,so Janko can start to play centre at the NHL level. Maybe benett breaks out again on the wing and we've solved 2 problems here.

Last edited by camm13; 10-21-2017 at 10:54 AM.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #248
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is painfully obvious what the Flames should do based on their current situation. Jankowski needs to be brought up on should be getting top 9 minutes. I think most people would agree that Jankowski’s floor is likely a third line centre. The Flames have Monahan signed for the next 6 years earning $6.4M and Backlund is likely going to join him with a long term deal that pays top 6 money.

Bennett has struggled this season playing Centre. Minimal offensive opportunities combined with bad penalties he is looking bad out there. Moving him to the wing makes a lot of sense right now but it is a no brained when factoring in Jankowski. If Bennett is moved to the wing I would like to see he and Jagr rotate between Monahan-Gaudreau and Jankowski-Versteeg.

Waive Glass and Hamilton

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr/Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Jankowski-Bennett/Jagr
Ferland-Lazar-Brouwer
Stajan
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #249
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Bennett was drafted 4th overall. He's expected to put up bigger numbers earlier in his career. Backlund was projected to take a while longer, hence he was drafted lower.
That's not really how it works. Backlund went lower in part because of an injury in his draft year I believe. And just because a player is drafted high does not mean they're expected to peak early. Wheeler for example was a project pick drafted top 5 out of high school kind of like Jankowski.

The other thing that seems to be constantly overlooked is that Bennett missed almost his entire post draft year due to shoulder surgery and thus is a year behind in development. Also a reason that Bennett hasn't produced as much is he hasn't been gifted top two line ice time early in his career nor was he getting much PP time in his first couple seasons.

There are legitimate reasons why Bennett to this point hasn't produced. Not excuses, reasons. This year Bennett will be expected to take a step forward but the season has only just begun so those who are out of patience with him obviously have no patience.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #250
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Chalk me up as having no patience. He sucks out there. Sam Bustnett until he starts doing something other than taking stupid penalties.

He needs to immediately start showing some of the promise he's shown in his draft year and in the post season or move him to the bloody wing until he gets some confidence back.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #251
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think many actually think he's a bust yet. But Bennett at C is simply and plainly a bust at this point. Make him a winger and a lot of this chirping and complaining goes away. That's what he needs and it's plain as day to see. It's the stubborn management and coaching that's inexplicably hung up on forcing a circular peg into a square hole that's frustrating to watch (more so when it can be argued that it's holding Jankowski back in the process).

I for one could exercise another few years of patience with sir Sam if he were slotted in as a winger. Lackluster play from wingers hurts us less than our centers playing badly and making dumb decisions.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #252
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett sucks
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #253
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
That's not really how it works. Backlund went lower in part because of an injury in his draft year I believe. And just because a player is drafted high does not mean they're expected to peak early. Wheeler for example was a project pick drafted top 5 out of high school kind of like Jankowski.

The other thing that seems to be constantly overlooked is that Bennett missed almost his entire post draft year due to shoulder surgery and thus is a year behind in development. Also a reason that Bennett hasn't produced as much is he hasn't been gifted top two line ice time early in his career nor was he getting much PP time in his first couple seasons.

There are legitimate reasons why Bennett to this point hasn't produced. Not excuses, reasons. This year Bennett will be expected to take a step forward but the season has only just begun so those who are out of patience with him obviously have no patience.
Is it not time to gift him top 2 line offensive opportunity now? Points aside, I honestly can't tell if Bennett looks any different from the player he was last year.

I do believe there's skill there but it seems completely untapped, and having him center a 3rd line hasn't looked like it's a recipe for success in progressing his game thus far.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #254
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

Bennett was a high pick because he dominated in junior, at least offensively. He was never a project. Is it too much to expect to see some of those skills?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #255
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When Backlund had his 11-point season (as a 22-year old, according to hockey-reference), he was still far and away our best centre prospect. That year, the following centres played games for the Calgary Flames.

Blair Jones
Matt Stajan
Brendan Morrison
Roman Horak
Paul Byron
Mikael Backlund
Mike Cammalleri (who was never a centre for us)

That's appalling. That's 2017-18 Montreal Canadiens bad centre depth. Of course there was no motivation to a) trade the only halfway decent natural centre in the organization or b) move him to the wing.

Now, the Flames #1C is a guy who, to this point, has outscored his entire draft class. Backlund is a 50-point threat fringe Selke candidate who anchors one of the best possession lines in all of hockey. Our captain is in the 2nd year of a 6-year contract, and he's 33. Our goalie is 35. We have traded two 1st round picks in the last three years for NHL ready defensemen. We have a 23-year old, 6 ft 4 210 lb centre ripping the AHL apart after spending four years learning to play nothing but defense in college. And last month we signed Jaromir Jagr.

Sam Bennett is a dynamite player. I don't think anyone could credibly argue he isn't. He's not a great centre, at least not right now. And right now, the Flames don't have a ton of time for him to figure it out.

Give him another 10 games. I get why they want this to work. When it doesn't, put him with Monahan and Gaudreau.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #256
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Bennett sucks
What?
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #257
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
What?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #258
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Can we stop using Backlund as an excuse for Bennett? Yes, it's very possible Bennett is just a late bloomer, but more often than not that's not the case.

Bennett was drafted 4th overall
. He's expected to put up bigger numbers earlier in his career. Backlund was projected to take a while longer, hence he was drafted lower.

We all know Backlund worked out in the end, that doesn't change the fact that Sam Bennett isn't performing at the level he was expected to.
This absolutely does not matter.

Your expectations of what a 4th overall should be at this stage are irrelevant. The organization is clearly saying he's a centre, and guess what? He's a 3rd line centre on a playoff team today as a 21 year old. Does he project as a 90 point centre? No, it wouldn't seem so. How many of those exist in the league anyways? Also, it's unlikely you're getting one at 4th overall. The only other centre taken ahead of him as been converted to a wing, and is now circulating in trade rumours - so that speaks to the quality of the draft, which AGAIN speaks to how utterly useless YOUR expectations are.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #259
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This absolutely does not matter.

Your expectations of what a 4th overall should be at this stage are irrelevant. The organization is clearly saying he's a centre, and guess what? He's a 3rd line centre on a playoff team today as a 21 year old. Does he project as a 90 point centre? No, it wouldn't seem so. How many of those exist in the league anyways? Also, it's unlikely you're getting one at 4th overall. The only other centre taken ahead of him as been converted to a wing, and is now circulating in trade rumours - so that speaks to the quality of the draft, which AGAIN speaks to how utterly useless YOUR expectations are.
It doesn't matter in terms of player value, but you can't seriously tell me that being drafted 4th overall doesn't matter when it comes to expectations. He was a very high pick and thus should have very high expectations. If it didn't matter then what's the point of drafting the best players high? The higher a pick we use on a player, the higher my expectations are. I assume the organization would feel the same way.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #260
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was backlund drafted 4th overall? Pedigree matters

Last edited by GordonBlue; 10-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote