Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #61
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Unsure what you mean. Sarcasm right? Yes there is a lot of similarity between many beer types but a German beer from the brewery is a heck of a lot different than a budweiser. Anyways
I'm agreeing with you. "Cheap" beer is a style of it's own. Wine has cheap and expensive examples of every style.

I'm saying there are far more beer styles than wine. If you poured a Bud in a German Doppelbock bottle, pretty much everyone would know. If you poured a Keiths IPA in a Dogfish head 90min IPA bottle, pretty much everyone would know. There are few premium lagers out there so trying to switch and fool someone with an American adjunct lager would be difficult.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #62
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beer tasters are worse than wine tasters.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #63
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bull#...-why-496098276

Quote:
This one's one of my favorites. In 2001, researcher Frédéric Brochet invited 54 wine experts to give their opinions on what were ostensibly two glasses of different wine: one red, and one white. In actuality, the two wines were identical, with one exception: the "red" wine had been dyed with food coloring.

The experts described the "red" wine in language typically reserved for characterizing reds. They called it "jammy," for example, and noted the flavors imparted by its "crushed red fruit." Not one of the 54 experts surveyed noticed that it was, in fact a white wine.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #64
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

If you like it, drink it. If you can afford it, buy it.

And for god's sake, once in your life have a glass of Chateau d'Yquem, or another botrytized sauternes.

There just isn't anything on Earth more delicious.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #65
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some level for me, it depends almost entirely on the grape variety and dryness/sweetness of the wine.

Even dry white wines taste too sweet to me, so I gravitate to dry reds. It's hard to go wrong.

I have had some terrible wine though, in China of all places, that tasted like a fruit punch juice box mixed with grain alcohol. Effing disgusting.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #66
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
If you like it, drink it. If you can afford it, buy it.

And for god's sake, once in your life have a glass of Chateau d'Yquem, or another botrytized sauternes.

Best wine you'll ever drink. Period
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #67
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Google's wine for price. NOPE!
Hasn't it been proven over and over and over again that people are easily fooled by the price they paid for wine. The more money forked over, the more enjoyment even though the wine was exactly the same.

Might as well just take a stack of money, blend it and drink it.

http://lifehacker.com/5990737/why-we...-wine-from-bad
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #68
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Its as ridiculous as saying some wine tasters couldn't tell the difference between white and red. They're so completely different at a macro level, they must have been comparing a light white and a very light red (ie a Gamay or similar). Of course within a large enough sample size you're going to have outliers.

Someone with as much free time during the day should research and post some terribly unscientific surveys about how terrible rock music is to troll Troutman back.
What in the world are you talking about? I'm not trolling - if you have information that wine experts can consistently distinguish wines in blind tests, I'd like to see that.

What was unscientific about the studies in this thread?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #69
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What was unscientific about the studies in this thread?
Scientific studies = agrees with my opinion
Unscientific studies = does not agree with my opinion
Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #70
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Yup. It's not like macros make styles like IPA's, stouts etc. You could probably fool most people with lagers, pilsners, simple ales.
You know why every microbrew makes IPAs right now? Because you can't screw them up.

All you have to do is make crappy beer, dump a buttload of hops in it, and then everyone has to say they like it, because manliness is currently directly correlated with how bitter of a beer you can order and pretend to like when out for pints with your friends.

There are a couple that actually have some flavor to them besides chewing on a bucket of hops, but they are few and far between during this current fad.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #71
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
You know why every microbrew makes IPAs right now? Because you can't screw them up.

All you have to do is make crappy beer, dump a buttload of hops in it, and then everyone has to say they like it, because manliness is currently directly correlated with how bitter of a beer you can order and pretend to like when out for pints with your friends.

There are a couple that actually have some flavor to them besides chewing on a bucket of hops, but they are few and far between during this current fad.
I drank Alexander Keiths IPA as my main beer for a few years. One night I'm out with some new co-workers and I ask if they have it. They say no. A colleague asks what kind of IPAs they have, and the waitress rattles off about five different versions. He picks one, and I say I'll have one as well. A few minutes later our beers arrive and I take a swig. I thought someone was playing a joke on me by bringing me diarrhea. It was disgusting. I asked my colleague if his was okay, and he said it was delicious. I said it tasted nothing like the Keiths IPA, and that is when I was given a lesson on what an actual IPA is. I do not like them at all. I still enjoy Keiths every once in a while, but I usually buy Kronenbourg, Peroni, Stella or Steamwhistle now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #72
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Okanagan wine expert and Niagara vineyard owner get into a fist fight on CBC radio

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/20...-on-cbc-radio/

A warning: This audio clip contains terse language and the grown men hitting each other.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #73
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Before people think its real, this is from This is That. Same people who made the article about taking soccer balls out of kids soccer for safety reasons that lots of people on CP fell for
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #74
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are taking soccer balls away from kids soccer?! Ridiculous! I literally don't believe it.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #75
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Before people think its real, this is from This is That. Same people who made the article about taking soccer balls out of kids soccer for safety reasons that lots of people on CP fell for
The safety "shpeel" is going too far now. What next? No more running for 100m dashes?
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #76
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I drank Alexander Keiths IPA as my main beer for a few years. One night I'm out with some new co-workers and I ask if they have it. They say no. A colleague asks what kind of IPAs they have, and the waitress rattles off about five different versions. He picks one, and I say I'll have one as well. A few minutes later our beers arrive and I take a swig. I thought someone was playing a joke on me by bringing me diarrhea. It was disgusting. I asked my colleague if his was okay, and he said it was delicious. I said it tasted nothing like the Keiths IPA, and that is when I was given a lesson on what an actual IPA is. I do not like them at all. I still enjoy Keiths every once in a while, but I usually buy Kronenbourg, Peroni, Stella or Steamwhistle now.
The problem there is marketing. Your colleague was a jerk too, it sounds like. I'd pretty much never give someone an IPA without telling them what to expect first. It's like giving someone a cigar for the first time forgetting to tell them to not inhale.

Keiths is a lager.

The beers you listed off as others you like are all lagers as well. Maybe not the kronenbourg technically.

In my opinion it should be illegal for Keiths to brand themselves as such.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #77
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if I can buy Grgich Hills Estates in Calgary?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #78
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=62218
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote