Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Rock Band 3 Instruments in Calgary?

I'm not having much look in the online shops finding the new instruments for Rock Band 3, for any console. As you may or may not now, there is a keyboard peripheral for the third installment of the game. There is also a pro mode for guitar and bass, with corresponding new "pro" controllers. There is also a pro mode for drums, which I believe supports two pedals (bass and high-hat, I don't think double bass will be supported), which means a new drum kit and 3-cymbal expansion add ons are being released.

If you find these instruments in town, for any system, post your finds here.

So far, I have struck out at HMV downtown. I am checking the NW tonight, probably starting with Northland Mall (Wal-Mart, EBGames, Future Shop, Best Buy) and going from there.

Happy hunting!
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's getting ridiculous by this point. Keyboard peripherals? Pro-mode peripherals? Two pedaled drum-kits?

Before you know it, they'll be selling actual instruments as peripherals and put sheet music on the screen.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Before you know it, they'll be selling actual instruments as peripherals
That's already in the works. In early 2011 Fender is releasing a Squier guitar for use in Pro Mode. You can also plug it into an amp and play it as a real guitar.

http://www.squierguitars.com/news/in...ay_article=144

They're also releasing a MIDI adapter so you can use a real keyboard.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know the Future Shop and Best Buy websites have no mention of the keyboard bundle (or the standalone keyboard) so the stores themselves are unlikely to have any. EB Games is an outside chance. And if you are a PS3 user, the keyboard bundle is not going to be available at all (I can't remember where I read this and the Rock Band website is down at the moment).
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Superstore might have them. I'll check later today...I'm looking for a keyboard myself.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
It's getting ridiculous by this point. Keyboard peripherals? Pro-mode peripherals? Two pedaled drum-kits?

Before you know it, they'll be selling actual instruments as peripherals and put sheet music on the screen.
The MIDI pro adapter will let you use any instrument with a MIDI out as a controller. Not sure how exactly, but it is an option.

I will check Superstore too depending on my luck at Northland.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Update from the GameStop Canada (aka EB Games) Twitter account:
PS3 keyboard bundle in warehouse now, likely in stores tomorrow
XBOX360 keyboard bundle in stores now
Wii keyboard bundle delayed until November (of course)
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't heard anything about a complete bundle yet. My drums have been beaten to crap - i guess the guitars are still fine - but depending on the price to get the drums and keyboard - the complete bundle may be worth it.

Last edited by cKy; 10-26-2010 at 04:20 PM.
cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's getting ridiculous by this point.
Transitioning an entire generation from a video game to actually learning to play instruments via a midi controller is rediculous how? I wish this was around when I was growing up. Maybe I could actually play a guitar instead of envying those that can.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I haven't heard anything about a complete bundle yet. My drums have been beaten to crap - i guess the guitars are still fine - but depending on the price to get the drums and keyboard - the complete bundle may be worth it.
There will be no complete band bundle. The game will either be stand alone, or bundled with the keyboard. All other instruments are a la carte only.

Thanks Arsenal14. I hope Best Buy has the x360 keyboard bundle as well - I reserved the software through an online order earlier. I'm about 10 minutes away from leaving the office to pick it up!

Last edited by TurnedTheCorner; 10-26-2010 at 05:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

OK, so I've checked all the stores in Northland and there is no sign of the keyboard for any console. The game itself is available for Wii at Best Buy and EB Games (not sure about the other consoles). EB Games was told that they will be getting the bundles "soon" whatever that means. Maybe at some point Harmonix will get their website up again and we can get real answers from them.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Momo
Draft Pick

The EB I went to today said that due to licensing issues, shipments were delayed but they should have the keyboard bundles by the end of this week. The instruments themselves will be delayed until sometime in November though.
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

If I could learn to play an actual instrument via a video game, then sign me up.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you really wanted to learn an instrument you would just learn one. I'm sure there are tons of videos and probably a few computer programs out already that can teach you to play. In the end you won't be learning how to play and instrument from the game just memorizing songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
If I could learn to play an actual instrument via a video game, then sign me up.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks to the people who have formed opinions without knowing facts. It's helpful!

I ended up ordering via Amazon.com so I don't have to mess around with looking for a store that has the bundle in stock. It ended up costing about $3 more than retail with tax.

It will be here guaranteed by Friday!
Crazy Bacon Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
In the end you won't be learning how to play and instrument from the game just memorizing songs.
With the old guitars yes. But with the new one I see no reason why you can't. All you're really doing different is instead of holding down on strings you're holding down on buttons.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
With the old guitars yes. But with the new one I see no reason why you can't. All you're really doing different is instead of holding down on strings you're holding down on buttons.
With the upcoming release of the Fender Squire (no release date yet) there are no buttons, just strings. It is essentially a normal electric guitar with some extra sensors built in to the neck. Basically aside from a tab sheet being replaced by a scrolling track with a different note notation it will be no different from learning to play a guitar the "normal" way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #18
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
With the upcoming release of the Fender Squire (no release date yet) there are no buttons, just strings. It is essentially a normal electric guitar with some extra sensors built in to the neck. Basically aside from a tab sheet being replaced by a scrolling track with a different note notation it will be no different from learning to play a guitar the "normal" way.
There's also this. Though the reviews haven't been very good.

http://www.powergig.com/
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any keyboard spottings anywhere?
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No signs of keyboards here. I expect they will start showing up in stores tomorrow or Friday. I will resort to some online ordering if I can't find one by then.

Tags
guitar , instruments , keyboards , pro , rock band 3