Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2023, 04:29 PM   #21
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Such an awkward thread title given that slaps is a gen-z slang and gen-zs would be the least likely to GAF about guns n roses
I’ve seen lots of Gen- Z kids walking around wearing Gn’R t-shirts, along with a few other 90s bands like Nirvana and the Chili Peppers. Whether or not they’re actually onto these bands is anyone’s guess, but I suppose it’s no different than when I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s and was listening to a lot of Zeppelin, Beatles, and Doors records.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:12 PM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I’ve seen lots of Gen- Z kids walking around wearing Gn’R t-shirts, along with a few other 90s bands like Nirvana and the Chili Peppers. Whether or not they’re actually onto these bands is anyone’s guess, but I suppose it’s no different than when I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s and was listening to a lot of Zeppelin, Beatles, and Doors records.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:18 PM   #23
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread needs more Izzy love.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:42 PM   #24
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This thread needs more Izzy love.
He's actually put out a ton of solo records since he left Gn'R, and most of them are damn good. Just old school no-frills rock n' roll.

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 09:47 PM   #25
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at a discount fruit and vegetable store on Saturday and as we were at the cashier Welcome to the Jungle started playing in the store.

It was awesome.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:52 PM   #26
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember watching the local news where they showed this gigantic lineup at a mall (Southcentre?) of people waiting for the HMV(?) to open to get UYI1+2.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:11 PM   #27
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I remember watching the local news where they showed this gigantic lineup at a mall (Southcentre?) of people waiting for the HMV(?) to open to get UYI1+2.
I was in that line. Bought two copies of each and sold the second set that paid for both.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:22 PM   #28
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Cool fact, but Appetite could have been even more deadly. November Rain and Don't Cry were written and originally planned for Appetite, but the band felt that Sweet Child of Mine and Think About You were enough love songs for one album.

Back Off Bitch and You could Mine were also written before Appetite. Just imagine

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Nightrain
Out Ta Get Me
Mr. Brownstone
Paradise City
My Michelle
Think About You
Sweet Child O' Mine
You're Crazy
Anything Goes
Rocket Queen
Back Off Bitch
It's so Easy
Don't Cry
November Rain
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:24 PM   #29
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Out Ta Get Me and Back off Bitch are two of my favourite underrated guitar riffs of all time. They're actually the reason I started playing in the first place
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:49 PM   #30
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My two youngest nieces were born in 2000 and 2005 and maybe aren't as big of fans as they used to be but there was a time where they were obsessed with them.

My youngest niece really only listens to 80s/90s Hard Rock/Metal right now.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's actually put out a ton of solo records since he left Gn'R, and most of them are damn good. Just old school no-frills rock n' roll.

Yes I own them.

The band's songs, IMO, were worse once he left.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:50 AM   #32
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It’s extra hilarious for me that this got posted in a thread about GNR. This past year I was at my daughter’s Christmas concert and there was a student wearing a use your illusions shirt and I recall saying something to my daughter like I bet that kid can’t even name 5 songs off those albums.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #33
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
It’s extra hilarious for me that this got posted in a thread about GNR. This past year I was at my daughter’s Christmas concert and there was a student wearing a use your illusions shirt and I recall saying something to my daughter like I bet that kid can’t even name 5 songs off those albums.
I kind of feel like that's gatekeeping or something a bit.

My daughter's friend showed up at my house with a Nirvana shirt the other day and I did have to fight the urge to ask if she was a fan, but I didn't want to embarrass her if she wasn't. I think the kids - at the very least - like the aesthetic from the 90s and it is coming back in a lot of the styles with the baggier pants and such. Many of them do know 90s music quite well, too. Guess they grew up with GenX parents playing it.

I find the kids are super open to music regardless of the era moreso than we were. It's so nice having a 15 and 17-year-old right now because they introduce me to tons of cool music. Seems like I'm adding a song or two to my mixes every day.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:58 AM   #34
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I was in that line. Bought two copies of each and sold the second set that paid for both.
Nice. I had a hell of a time trying to find them, took me a couple of weeks before I found some for sale.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:00 AM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I remember picking up those CDs at Co-Op in Dalhousie. Just wandered in and there they were. What a time...Co-Op used to sell clothes and stuff, too. And had a weird cafeteria.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:11 AM   #36
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I remember it wasn't a music store I got them at - it was a store that just had some CDs off to the side.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #37
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I kind of feel like that's gatekeeping or something a bit.

My daughter's friend showed up at my house with a Nirvana shirt the other day and I did have to fight the urge to ask if she was a fan, but I didn't want to embarrass her if she wasn't. I think the kids - at the very least - like the aesthetic from the 90s and it is coming back in a lot of the styles with the baggier pants and such. Many of them do know 90s music quite well, too. Guess they grew up with GenX parents playing it.

I find the kids are super open to music regardless of the era moreso than we were. It's so nice having a 15 and 17-year-old right now because they introduce me to tons of cool music. Seems like I'm adding a song or two to my mixes every day.
The comment was sarcastic even if it’s likely true, when I was that age I used to be into some bands that at the time had stopped making new music 20+ years earlier and could name almost their entire catalogue, but I still wouldn’t be surprised if some of the students wearing band shirts couldn’t name many songs by those artists.

Not because of their age or anything like that though, it’s just that frankly there are people my age that wear band shirts of artists who I know they can’t name a few songs from.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:25 AM   #38
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To this day I tell people that Sweet Child O' Mine is one of the top 3 rock songs of all time.

Took my wife to the Seattle show in 2016. She wasn't initially interested ... but we both had a blast.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:29 AM   #39
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a GNR nut in junior high and high school. I wasn't born when they were relevant, so seeing Axl and Slash together in 2017 was a dream come true (even if Axl sounds like Mickey Mouse now).
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:55 AM   #40
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Such an awkward thread title given that slaps is a gen-z slang and gen-zs would be the least likely to GAF about guns n roses

Just be a self respecting gen-x and say "rocks" .. we don't have to complicate this
Ha ha, was gonna say, I was expecting the OP to be a teenager who discovered GnR on their dad's Spotify playlist. Did not expect a 42 year old to use the term "slaps".
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote