Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #1421
StickMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Averages show that the CPC lead the Liberals by 1.7 percent, at 32.2 percent and 30.5 percent, respectively. The NDP have a 20.8 percent share of the vote, while the Bloc, Greens and PPC make up 15.3 percent of the vote, collectively.

A Nanos poll from August 5 shows the Conservatives with a 4 percent lead, edging out the Liberals at 33 percent to 29 percent, respectively. The NDP have a 23 percent share of the vote per the poll, while the Greens, Bloc, and PPC share 15 percent of the vote, collectively.

338 Canada's Federal Model also has the Conservatives ahead in projected seat count, with the CPC projected to gain 16 seats compared to the 2021 federal election. This would have the CPC ever-so-slighty ahead of the Liberals, at 135 seats to the Liberals 134.

Trudeau warns of populism as cpc takes lead in polls

Last edited by StickMan; 08-23-2022 at 08:31 AM.
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #1422
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Maybe he should worry less about populism and worry more about corruption, scandal's and our disaster of a housing market and soon, economy.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #1423
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

When a leaderless party is ahead of you in the polls it's a clear sign that you aren't doing good enough. Rather than deflect with the whole populism thing he really needs to get to work with his party and doing a better job of making Canadians believe that his party actually has a plan in regards to chipping away at the deficit, affordable housing, supply chain restructure, healthcare reform, etc. I don't think all the globetrotting he's been doing this year is winning him over with a lot of Canadians. It would be refreshing to see a party actually strive to do better rather than just point the finger at the opposition.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #1424
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looking at yesterdays presser with the German Leader, that immediate help isn't coming for the German's from Canada this winter.

Instead the focus is on hydrogen production and shipping down the road.

I think Trudeau talked about there not being a business case for building LNG export capability

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...rope-1.6558542

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his German counterpart, Chancellor Olaf Scholz, appeared to pour cold water on the idea of shipping Canadian natural gas to Europe when asked about the proposal Monday.
At a news conference in Montreal, the two leaders instead suggested that their priority is developing cleaner energy sources, like green hydrogen, in Canada for export to Europe to help solve the continent's energy crunch.
While not ruling out a role for Canadian natural gas in alleviating Europe's energy shortage, Trudeau said there isn't a clear business case yet for building a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export terminal in Saint John or elsewhere.
Trudeau said natural gas would have to be shipped by pipeline from the gas fields of Western Canada to a still-unbuilt liquefaction terminal on the Atlantic coast.
It would be a costly undertaking and might not be a prudent investment, given Europe's commitment to a rapid transition to a cleaner economy, Trudeau said.
Quote:
To reduce Europe's reliance on Russian gas, observers have floated the idea of shipping some of Canada's abundant natural gas across the Atlantic to terminals in Germany.
But because Canada has been slow to develop proposed LNG sites in the Atlantic provinces, it's unlikely this scenario will materialize any time soon.
Quote:
Scholz said Germany is interested in helping Canada develop its hydrogen production capacity — it's still a nascent industry with very little production underway — so that it can eventually tap into that resource.
Trudeau and Scholz will travel to Newfoundland and Labrador on Tuesday to meet with companies there that are pitching new hydrogen projects that eventually could feed energy to Europe.
Germany is interested in "green" hydrogen — a form of fuel that is produced through electrolysis with no resulting emissions.
Quote:
n a recent report, Canada's environment commissioner, Jerry DeMarco, found that the actual annual production of hydrogen in Canada is only about 3 megatonnes — almost all of it being "grey" hydrogen, a dirtier form that produces roughly double the emissions of natural gas.The commissioner said there are doubts about whether hydrogen can play any sort of meaningful role in Canada in the short term because very little of the necessary infrastructure — like hydrogen pipelines and liquefaction plants — is in place.
Green hydrogen is also prohibitively expensive. A gigajoule of natural gas costs about $3.79 to produce, while a gigajoule of green hydrogen costs over $60 if it's produced using electricity from renewable sources such as wind and solar, the commissioner found.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #1425
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ What a gong show this whole thing is.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #1426
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just another photo op for Justin and friends...
Old 08-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #1427
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know. If Germany wants to invest here to help Canada develop Hydrogen technology and the liberals help facilitate this, that is a win for Canada. Its pretty murky on what the partnership would look like, but given the leverage, grants from Germany may even be feasible.

I don't get why anyone would criticize this attempt.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #1428
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
When a leaderless party is ahead of you in the polls it's a clear sign that you aren't doing good enough. Rather than deflect with the whole populism thing he really needs to get to work with his party and doing a better job of making Canadians believe that his party actually has a plan in regards to chipping away at the deficit, affordable housing, supply chain restructure, healthcare reform, etc. I don't think all the globetrotting he's been doing this year is winning him over with a lot of Canadians. It would be refreshing to see a party actually strive to do better rather than just point the finger at the opposition.

All true, but don't you think the reason the Conservatives are ahead in the polls is precisely because they have no leader? It's like the mystery box; the new leader could be anyone. Once they elect some actual person, all that hope and possibility goes out the window.

I am not a Conservative voter, but I do understand and respect the principles of conservatism, and I have always felt that Canadian politics requires a legitimate Conservative option to oppose the Liberals and even govern once in a while. Nowadays no such option exists, and Canada is the worse for it.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:23 AM   #1429
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hydrogen production is such an ideological snake oil scam and just politicians providing buzz words to pretend to do something for the planet.

Natural gas = fossil fuel = bad
Hydrogen = water = good

This is the general perception

Hydrogen production overall is a byproduct of other uses, but while hydrogen itself is clean, the process to create hydrogen in all process except green causes more emissions then burning natural gas. The main difference in hydrogen production and its terminology is the source, but the reason we don't produce green hydrogen is that it's extremely cost and energy inefficient ( we are talking 30% end to end efficiency). It may feel good to create hydrogen from the electrolysis of water using solar electricity, but it's extremely inefficient and the electricity itself would have been better utilised.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...s-soaring-hype

Meanwhile while Trudeau and Scholz are crossing their ideological swords to see which is bigger, Scholz's government is firing up their coal plants to not freeze to death this winter due to their ideological war on nuclear and putting its full dependency on a tyrannical despot.

There are solution to Europe's energy crisis but pure ideology is preventing logical progress.

Last edited by Firebot; 08-23-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #1430
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Its hilarious. He talks up a big game about how the world needs to end its dependency on oil / gas, while the at the same time the German Chancellor is telling everyone how they're working double time to secure more gas.

Political double speak. Gotta appease the idiots.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #1431
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I don't know. If Germany wants to invest here to help Canada develop Hydrogen technology and the liberals help facilitate this, that is a win for Canada. Its pretty murky on what the partnership would look like, but given the leverage, grants from Germany may even be feasible.

I don't get why anyone would criticize this attempt.
The only criticism is that it might be a few years down the road, but otherwise I agree. Hydrogen can be a big boon for Canada if we develop it properly.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #1432
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

Meanwhile while Trudeau and Scholz are crossing their ideological swords to see which is bigger, Scholz's government is firing up their coal plants to not freeze to death this winter due to their ideological war on nuclear and putting its full dependency on a tyrannical despot.

There are solution to Europe's energy crisis but pure ideology is preventing logical progress.
Scholz is also telling people that their nuclear plants won't be permanently run because it doesn't actually solve the gas issue, and yet electricity prices in Germany are skyrocketing. Wouldn't running nuclear plants bring down those prices or at least keep them from going up?

It is rather sad watching two bumbling fools trying to figure out an energy crisis that its largely their own making. And by 'their' I mean the idiots that think fossil fuels are evil and need to be shut down and not developed any further while at the same time becoming 100% dependent on Russian gas. Even Trump was smart enough to see that as a massive problem. What does that say about the morons in the German government?
Old 08-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #1433
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Germans are going to freeze to death this winter and their leader comes over to a NATO member and ally that purposefully locked away their plentiful natural gas and instead of kicking people in the balls he prattles on about nascent technology that’s nowhere close to ready. At least there’s one other leader in the world that’s a bigger dumbass than Trudeau apparently.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #1434
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
All true, but don't you think the reason the Conservatives are ahead in the polls is precisely because they have no leader? It's like the mystery box; the new leader could be anyone. Once they elect some actual person, all that hope and possibility goes out the window.

I am not a Conservative voter, but I do understand and respect the principles of conservatism, and I have always felt that Canadian politics requires a legitimate Conservative option to oppose the Liberals and even govern once in a while. Nowadays no such option exists, and Canada is the worse for it.
It's not really a mystery though as we all know it's going to be PP.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #1435
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah how did the polls go for all the Cons the past 2 elections. All had healthy leads on the Libs and yet never won.

and man with PP before the biggest deplorable out of the 3... it's going to be a majority Lib gov't by election night.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #1436
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be two years until the next election. I wouldn't let polls get your hopes up.
Also I wouldn't be surprised if JT is not the leader before the next election.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #1437
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There is little chance JT runs again. The Libs won't allow it, the general populous won't buy it, and he doubt he wants to do it.

Hopefully new faces that aren't angry career politicians get dealt in for the next election, but I'm not counting on it.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:50 PM   #1438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ore-news-broke

Quote:
Liberal MP Anthony Housefather says Diversity Minister Ahmed Hussen was warned about anti-Semitic tweets by a government-funded anti-racism consultant before the issue was reported on widely, and that Hussen should have acted earlier to cut funding.
Quote:
Housefather told the National Post he first contacted the minister before the news was widely reported on in the media.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:59 PM   #1439
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I also think Trudeau will step down and resign as PM and Liberal leader. He’s lost the electorate and the country basically, like a coach that the players don’t respond to anymore.

Is it a coincidence that all these conspiracy theorists have risen and become front page news under his leadership, that’s how unpopular he is. Too divisive and his way or the highway. I can’t see him winning a majority if he does stay on.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:17 PM   #1440
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's not really a mystery though as we all know it's going to be PP.
Sadly, that may well be true, although I don't follow closely enough to have a confident read in it. Regardless, I believe my point about a leaderless Conservative party being more popular than one led by Polivier still stands.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote