Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #801
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You ruin the integrity of your sport if you start with one set of rules and then change them at the very end. Twelve teams in the playoffs is a huge joke and I would not support it or watch it. The Bundesliga has returned and they have maintained their integrity, first place wins the league, top 4 make the Champions League etc. Why is the original format being thrown out the window so easily?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #802
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
You ruin the integrity of your sport if you start with one set of rules and then change them at the very end. Twelve teams in the playoffs is a huge joke and I would not support it or watch it. The Bundesliga has returned and they have maintained their integrity, first place wins the league, top 4 make the Champions League etc. Why is the original format being thrown out the window so easily?
The sport has changed many times over the years. It is a unique situation, if you don't like it then don't watch. For the rest of us, we will enjoy what we get.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #803
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Maybe a poll would be interesting now?

Possible preferences:

Cancel remaining regular season and playoffs - no Stanley Cup awarded.
Resume and complete regular season, full playoffs, Stanley Cup awarded.
Cancel remaining regular season, hold playoff tournament, Stanley Cup awarded.
Cancel remaining regular season, hold playoff tournament, no Stanley Cup awarded.

Jesus.

Try telling the players that work their asses off and win 4 rounds of best of 7 that they don’t win the Stanley Cup.

That last option is beyond stupid.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #804
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
If there's no fans for next season these crazy signing bonuses are going to bleed some teams dry, going forward I'm fairly certain any new CBA will limit these bonuses.

Just a quick look at a few teams

Toronto owes 8 players $61 million on July 1. ($37m July 2021)
Rangers owe 8 players $34 million on July 1. ($24m July 2021)
Tampa owes 5 players $28.5 million on July 1. ($25m July 2021)
Edmonton owes 4 players $22 million on july 1. ($13m July 2021)

Looks good on the idiots

Flames owe Johnny, Monny and Chucky $3.5m each this year but nothing next July

Those are subject to escrow just like any other salary though. If the league revenue completely tanks, then the teams will be getting a good chunk of that money back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #805
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Jesus.

Try telling the players that work their asses off and win 4 rounds of best of 7 that they don’t win the Stanley Cup.

That last option is beyond stupid.
With absolutely nothing to play for, it'd be a glorified pre-season. I don't even think that's a viable option at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #806
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Some here in favor of a tournament have said others romanticize the Stanley Cup far too much, that it's no big deal. Now others are saying it is the only thing worth playing for. Is this a contradiction?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #807
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

It still holds its value as the ultimate trophy in hockey, but I'm not constrained to traditions on how it gets rewarded, especially in light of this year's unprecedented situation. So no, I don't think I'm being contradicting in my viewpoint. I want to see a Stanley cup playoffs so that teams still play hard for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #808
tknez16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Didn’t the Stanley Cup used to be a challenge trophy? Times change and the way it gets awarded changes. They should absolutely award it this year if these playoffs happen.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #809
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Why can’t they do both?
Maybe they can. I really don't know what their resource structure looks like in terms of manpower. All I'm saying is that if this effort is taking away from the NHL's ability to work on a plan for launching next season I would rather they scrap this season and put all the resources into making next season happen.

Personally, I would honestly rather see a full season for 20/21 with whatever combination of host hubs, empty stadiums and partial seat sales as required throughout the year but I believe that in order to make this happen the NHL has to have a rock solid plan in place with buy-in from the players union and the owners.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #810
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the crowd that’s against this due to the integrity of the Cup - The “integrity” that you think exists as a product of the existing rules exists only in your own head.

The NHL makes their own rules and structure and has changed things numerous times throughout history. Adapting on the fly in certain cases. Adding teams, subtracting teams, playing abbreviated seasons and rule change upon rule change.

There is no fundamental or inherent structure that we are entitled to. It all exists within the bubble that is the NHL and it they decide to change it, then that’s the new way.

You can watch, or not. But to demand a certain integrity is odd to me, there is nothing owed to you and there is no entitlement bestowed upon the viewer/customer.

They are adapting to the new normal. Just like every other aspect of our lives. To think otherwise is choosing to be unadaptable and choosing to push back against what is happening whether you like it to or not.

Nobody chose this new world, nobody wants this. Do you still want to be entertained by a hockey game? Yes? Then you better jump on board whatever is offered because it could be a long time until your “integrity” of the game comes back to the parameters you specifically want it to.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #811
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Some very good posts here that I can agree with - a good discussion. For me, I think the issue I'm struggling with is "fairness". For reasons I outlined previously, I have concerns that the tournaments being proposed have the potential to be unfair, and we might end up with a questionable winner. The more the NHL can address those concerns, the more ok I would be with awarding the Cup. I'm coming around to accepting that things may have to be very different, this year and next.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #812
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the winner comes from one of those bottom tier teams (unlikely, be we know anything is possible) I don’t know if we can say they didn’t deserve it. Sure they had a mediocre regular season and snuck in on virtue of a rule change, but the new rules also give them a massive uphill climb.

If the eventual winner comes from seeds 5-12, they likely will break the record for playoff games played having to claw through a 5 game series, and then four 7 game series all while playing away from home and their families.

Try telling that winner they didn’t deserve it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #813
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should actually throw up a poll, to see what CP thinks
Old 05-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #814
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Knowing someone who had COVID-19 I'm going to tell you that is a stupid idea. My associate says that since he recovered from COVID-19 that each breath he takes feels like he just finished a cigarette. It is estimated that his lung function has decreased by 20-30%. Your idea is just plain bad.
That is interesting. Is he a smoker, vaper? How old is he? Any existing conditions? How much was he above his ideal weight? Did he get hospitalized? How long was he ill? How long ago was he ill?

If is still in such rough shape why does he think he is recovered? Was he tested? How many times? Is he still infectious?

Last edited by ricardodw; 05-21-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #815
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
That is interesting. Is he a smoker, vaper? How old is he? Any existing conditions? How much was he above his ideal weight? Did he get hospitalized? How long was he ill? How long ago was he ill?
Who cares.

If you are familiar with Nick Cordero, you should know that not having increased risk factors doesn’t mean you are guaranteed to escape unscathed.

There are many articles containing the perspective and experience of people who have had COVID

Nobody wants this thing, and I am surprised at how cavalier some people are about it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #816
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of this whole thing will be when Edmonton is NOT named a host city. The butt hurt will be amazing

Also, not sure why people want this in their cities so bad considering they are not allowed to attend
Old 05-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #817
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever happens, you'll still have to win 16 games in four rounds to win the Cup. I have no problem with saying the winner will be deserving.

My biggest issue is that the proposed format severely devalues the regular season that has already been played. Every team has played at least 83% of their regular season games. I'd prefer a system that would make sure the teams who had the best shot of making the playoffs in March would still have the best shot of being in the final group of 16 in July.

Also, if they do go forward with the plan as presented, it doesn't make any sense to not reseed the teams for the playoffs after the play-in round. Having Chicago play Dallas in the first round while the Flames would have to play St Louis really doesn't make any sense. If all 12 teams in each Conference are going to be playing in the same city, and the top-4 are going to be playing for seeding, it really makes no sense to keep things in straight brackets for the bottom 4.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #818
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Who cares.

If you are familiar with Nick Cordero, you should know that not having increased risk factors doesn’t mean you are guaranteed to escape unscathed.

There are many articles containing the perspective and experience of people who have had COVID

Nobody wants this thing, and I am surprised at how cavalier some people are about it

We are talking about hockey players who have the bejebers monitored out of them and would likely have the healthiest life-styles and fitness regimes on the planet.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #819
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
We are talking about hockey players who have the bejebers monitored out of them and would likely have the healthiest life-styles and fitness regimes on the planet.
You must not know many players...I will give you fitness regimes
Old 05-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #820
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If it ends up being two cities hosting the event I would agree that they should be able to reseed after every round.

There is no good way to do it. Maybe only have top 10 points percentage teams, and have 7-10 and 8-9 square of in a play in game. Than go with the traditional 16 team format playing every second day. The best of 5 first round might drag it out a bit too long, and even a best of 3 still takes 5 days to finish, and 7 until you can get the long playoffs going.
Closed Thread