Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #341
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a very good episode. RIP Nick Nolte.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #342
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Finale is up...

"You are a clan of two now."

Waiting a week and a half for this episode was bad enough, now we have to wait until ... ? Probably after the Obi-Wan series.

Spoiler!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #343
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really enjoyed that final episode. Looking forward to season 2!
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #344
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Great finale to a great season.

Mandalorian now has a direction for the story to go, with a lot of meandering along the way of course. But that is OK, because that is the fun part. Half the fun is the journey, right?

Thought it was so cool to see the Dark Saber show up. I wonder how it fell out of Bo Katan's hands and into Moff Gideon's?

Either way this really does set up more of a blood feud now besides just You have the kid I want. It's now you have the kid I want and I obviously did some serious damage to your people and stole their sword.

Really like the way they left the story and the set up for the next season.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #345
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finale fell flat for me. I’d probably rate it just slightly above that shrimp farm episode.

Dialogue was super campy, especially that scene with Cara Dune trying to help up Mando. Baby Yoda, who has the ability to heal, showed no interest in helping Mando after getting caught in that explosion. IG11 crashing that standoff and taking on 50 stormtroopers on his own really challenged that suspension of disbelief. Putting explosive charges on that boat droid and throwing it into that squad of stormtroopers would’ve saved IG11

I know people really loved the show, but that last ep has some awful writing
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #346
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1210652862193098753
Old 12-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #347
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Finale fell flat for me. I’d probably rate it just slightly above that shrimp farm episode.

Dialogue was super campy, especially that scene with Cara Dune trying to help up Mando. Baby Yoda, who has the ability to heal, showed no interest in helping Mando after getting caught in that explosion. IG11 crashing that standoff and taking on 50 stormtroopers on his own really challenged that suspension of disbelief. Putting explosive charges on that boat droid and throwing it into that squad of stormtroopers would’ve saved IG11

I know people really loved the show, but that last ep has some awful writing
The droid probably would have sank.

Baby yoda couldn’t have healed him, he would have passed out again and wouldn’t have been able to stop the flame thrower.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 12-27-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #348
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed the finale overall. Some parts were great (opening scene with troopers, Tie Fighter vs Jetpack, plenty of baby yoda, Blacksmith beatdown), but there were some parts that really dragged. The Lava float was lame. It's Star Wars, can't come up with something that moves fast? And the battle when IG showed up seemed poorly shot and oddly paced. Like, they are all just standing in an open corral shooting at each other. Nothing to hide behind or anything? And no one dies?

The premise of the episode is kind of flawed from the beginning. If IG is programmed to protect the baby, why wouldn't it just take off in Mando's ship as soon as it has the baby?

I was both surprised and unsurprised that Waititi directed it. Not surprised because the humor in the opening scene and some action was well done. Surprised because it kind of sucked in parts, and I've never seen anything of his I would consider to suck.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #349
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely loved that finale! Seeing Death Watch in live action was amazing! And the darksaber at the end! Very much looking forward to season two!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #350
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The droid probably would have sank.

Baby yoda couldn’t have healed him, he would have passed out again and wouldn’t have been able to stop the flame thrower.
Baby yoda could’ve and didn’t. The Flame thrower trooper would’ve been, I don’t know, shot at like all 50 troopers before him. Everyone still had blasters and yet everyone stood still and let the flame thrower do their thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I enjoyed the finale overall. Some parts were great (opening scene with troopers, Tie Fighter vs Jetpack, plenty of baby yoda, Blacksmith beatdown), but there were some parts that really dragged. The Lava float was lame. It's Star Wars, can't come up with something that moves fast? And the battle when IG showed up seemed poorly shot and oddly paced. Like, they are all just standing in an open corral shooting at each other. Nothing to hide behind or anything? And no one dies?

The premise of the episode is kind of flawed from the beginning. If IG is programmed to protect the baby, why wouldn't it just take off in Mando's ship as soon as it has the baby?

I was both surprised and unsurprised that Waititi directed it. Not surprised because the humor in the opening scene and some action was well done. Surprised because it kind of sucked in parts, and I've never seen anything of his I would consider to suck.
Can’t blame the director for shoddy writing. They can shine a turd up as best they could, but at the end of the day, it’s still a turd
Old 12-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #351
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Can’t blame the director for shoddy writing. They can shine a turd up as best they could, but at the end of the day, it’s still a turd
I would agree, obviously there's a reason Waititi normally writes his own stuff. But things like the corral shootout could have been better choreographed for sure.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:40 AM   #352
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Great finale to a great season.

Mandalorian now has a direction for the story to go, with a lot of meandering along the way of course. But that is OK, because that is the fun part. Half the fun is the journey, right?

Thought it was so cool to see the Dark Saber show up. I wonder how it fell out of Bo Katan's hands and into Moff Gideon's?

Either way this really does set up more of a blood feud now besides just You have the kid I want. It's now you have the kid I want and I obviously did some serious damage to your people and stole their sword.

Really like the way they left the story and the set up for the next season.

Really liked the last episode, and it really continued in the end with the Man with No Name feel with the Mandalorian riding into the sunset with a probable posse in pursuit.

When I link together the scattered Mandalorian's, combined with all of the Beskar in the Empires hands and Moff Gideon's hands, I think its likely that the Empire eventually squashed Mandalorian and took the Dark Sabre from Bo's cold dead hand.

During the flashback scene I swear that the Mandalorian's were Death Watch, which was the organization that Bo was part of.

Its hard to believe that we're going to have to wait nearly a year for the next season. Disney needs more fresh content.

So there are two things happening.

The Quest for the Baby's home world. I can't help but think that The Mandalorian is going to fail in that quest. There's not enough known about that species and George always mentioned that he wanted to keep the details of Yoda's species as a mystery.

The other thing is I can't help but feel that the Dark Sabre is going to form a key part in this series, usually you can only take it by killing its owner, and it just seems natural that it should eventually belong to our hero who's a Mando without being a Mando.

For some reason I really liked the opening scene with the two scout troopers. I've always been more into the Empire side of things in Star Wars and the interesting debate that people get swept up in things and not every member of the Empire is evil. These two weren't evil, Jerks sure, bad with their blasters sure. But it was refreshing to hear two troopers talking and doing stupid things.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #353
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well now I know why the one trooper was not only familiar but a massive jerk.

Jason Sudeikis come on down

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #354
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I was wondering who might be the Troopers at the beginning.

Basically anytime a Trooper has any lines in a Star Wars thing, I assume its a cameo.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #355
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed the finale. Despite the detours of episodes 4-6, this series has felt more "Star Wars" than anything, including Rogue One, since the original trilogy.

Give Star Wars to the right people and good stuff happens.

Last edited by Ashasx; 12-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #356
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He always did seem like the type to punch a baby alien
Old 12-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #357
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Was I the only one that was just fuming when he was punching the bag and hoping for some Force beatdown?

I loved how bad they were with their pistols, though it does created the question of how they killed Nick Nolte

Old 12-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #358
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would assume that we're going to at least have The Clone Wars last season and the Obi-Wan season as new content before this show returns.

Was glad to see the unhelmeting, it really added to the character.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #359
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I wonder how Disney+ will do now that this show is over. You're right Cap in that there isn't a ton of fresh content on there at the moment. And with Christmas break nearing its close and the kiddies going back to school, might be a lot less streaming of the classic content which results in cancelled subs.

Clone Wars is more of a niche thing, although a wide niche, but doesn't have the wide appeal that Mandalorian did and the buzz created by Baby Yoda.

Will be interesting to see what happens now.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #360
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was I the only one that was just fuming when he was punching the bag and hoping for some Force beatdown?

I loved how bad they were with their pistols, though it does created the question of how they killed Nick Nolte
Presumably, they used the cannons on the front of their bikes. Much harder to miss with those than a small pistol.

I'm sure everyone was waiting for them to die a horrible death after they punched the bag. That could be used as a new psychopath test. If you didn't want to see those jerks destroyed, you're probably a serial killer.