Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #5161
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I really thought they'd do a Cursed Child movie with the original cast before they did a reboot.
I think some of the cast have distanced themselves from Rowling. Not sure that movie will ever happen unless she's not involved.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:33 AM   #5162
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I think some of the cast have distanced themselves from Rowling. Not sure that movie will ever happen unless she's not involved.
They all came back for the Reunion show though, that didn't Joanne in it.
So it's not like there isn't prescient for WB just doing whatever.

They have the rights to the play already iirc, so it's not like she wouldn't/wasn't be paid.

At any rate. I'm very clearly out on any new HP stuff anyway.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:00 AM   #5163
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
They all came back for the Reunion show though, that didn't Joanne in it.
So it's not like there isn't prescient for WB just doing whatever.

They have the rights to the play already iirc, so it's not like she wouldn't/wasn't be paid.

At any rate. I'm very clearly out on any new HP stuff anyway.
Rowling wasn't involved in the reunion so that probably had something to do with Daniel and Emma's involvement. They might also do Cursed Child if Rowling wasn't involved but they were pretty vocal against her so I can see them staying away.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:54 PM   #5164
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Another TV series on the way will be an adaptation of the Dragon Lance books, which are heavily influenced by D&D.

I had not read any of them since I was young, but I recently re ordered and cracked into Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

They read good. I don't want to call them kids books, because they definitely have very adult aspects, but they aren't say Brandon Sanderson style literature.

That being said, they hold up well for being written in the 80's. You can definitely see the Tolkien influence. I'm enjoying the re read, they move along at a good pace as well which is nice.

I actually think they will adapt nicely, more of a LOTR movies tone than Game of Thrones.

Joe Manganiello is involved. The keeper of the D&D gate.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:38 PM   #5165
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oof...I can see why people didnt like Quantumania...that was all kinds of a mess.

It was okay enough of a film, but man...I wouldnt watch that again.

It'll rank very near the bottom of Marvel's offerings for me.

Its like they spent more time, money and energy on making it look cool than on characters that you might care about or anything even remotely resembling a cohesive story.

I'm not going to give it a rating because I could see people liking it, but I didnt.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:35 PM   #5166
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oof...I can see why people didnt like Quantumania...that was all kinds of a mess.

It was okay enough of a film, but man...I wouldnt watch that again.

It'll rank very near the bottom of Marvel's offerings for me.

Its like they spent more time, money and energy on making it look cool than on characters that you might care about or anything even remotely resembling a cohesive story.

I'm not going to give it a rating because I could see people liking it, but I didnt.
I really wanted to like it but not having Luis in it was a nonstarter as far as I’m concerned
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 02:38 PM   #5167
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really thought they'd do a Cursed Child movie with the original cast before they did a reboot.
They may be waiting until Radcliffe no longer looks like a teenager. Could be a while.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:50 PM   #5168
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why do Sci-fi and Superhero movies & shows suck so much now? I've largely checked out of keeping up with the latest thing, but I've become fascinated with their decline. I think these video's pin down two of the biggest culprits I've noticed: Girl bosses and millenial writers.

TLDW summary:
Girl Boss: A perfect female character that never struggles and their only challenge is overcoming the external forces that prevent them from unleashing their true inner-awesomeness. Notable examples: Rey, Bo Katan, RoP Galadriel, Cpt Marvel and most of the MCU phase 4 female characters.

Millenial Writer: A rich kid who works on premier projects due to their family connections, ivy-league credentials and being cheap. They have very little life experience and spend most of their time on social media, so that's what they're most comfortable talking about. The video focuses on video games, but I think it's highly applicable to movies and shows.

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #5169
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It's the creation of content via corporate committee which is the major problem. There's nothing wrong with female sci-fi characters, in fact some of my favorite sci-fi characters are female: Ripley, Sarah Connor, Starbuck, Leia, Mon Mothma, etc...

When you have a corporate committee crafting a character to be X, then you end up with Poochie, every time and it sucks.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #5170
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that Girl Boss problem in 1977 with the blond haired girl with the boys name ruined cinima. Or when they did the prequel about his mother as a child in 1999
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:25 PM   #5171
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think "girl" has anything to do with it. But there does seem to be a trend for making characters super-powerful and hard to challenge. Not really new (Superman) but even the Marvel Phase 1 characters all seemed to have their power levels amped up by Infinity War/Endgame (except maybe Black Widow and Hawkeye).
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-18-2023, 07:37 PM   #5172
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I don't think "girl" has anything to do with it. But there does seem to be a trend for making characters super-powerful and hard to challenge. Not really new (Superman) but even the Marvel Phase 1 characters all seemed to have their power levels amped up by Infinity War/Endgame (except maybe Black Widow and Hawkeye).
Which makes sense to a degree. They've been fighting for a long time, gaining experience, getting stronger, understanding their abilities and honing them.

I think, ultimately, what that video was trying to point out is that female characters are just poorly written and not really given any real gravity.

Like they have to be perfect, right out of the box. It essentially de-humanizes them which does them a serious disservice, as though women cant overcome difficulties and obstacles? Which is just ridiculous. Furthermore, it undermines the audience's desire to cheer for them.

Their challenges are different and their solutions are different, which would be interesting story-telling but that just doesnt seem to be the trend of how they're written.

Is that because their characters are being written predominantly by men? Or by committee? I dont know the answer to that, but it does seem as though female characters of the past were more compelling than the latest ones being offered.

And I think there is a lot of blame for that to go around.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-18-2023, 08:31 PM   #5173
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mary Sue is just a misogynists label for the hero’s journey.

When a female is put in the role of the avatar of the audience to live out fantasy tropes they get called Mary Sues. When a male character is in the same role it’s called the Hero’s journey.

Her list includes Bo Katan, just because the author of the video didn’t bother to learn about her years of history in the universe doesn’t make her a Mary Sue:

Then she adds the female warriors in black Panther who have trained to be warriors their whole lives as an elite guard. I went and broke my don’t bother watching crappy internet videos rule for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2023, 08:48 PM   #5174
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The Mary Sue is just a misogynists label for the hero’s journey.
Not true, a Mary Sue is a character who DOESN"T go through any sort of Hero's Journey. It's someone who starts out perfect, stays perfect and ends up perfect. There is no character growth or change through the narrative. They are generally unrelatable and boring characters. They can be male or female, as it's a writing problem.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:59 PM   #5175
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Not true, a Mary Sue is a character who DOESN"T go through any sort of Hero's Journey. It's someone who starts out perfect, stays perfect and ends up perfect. There is no character growth or change through the narrative. They are generally unrelatable and boring characters. They can be male or female, as it's a writing problem.
Sorry I should rephrase that. The Mary Sues that people label as Mary Sues are female characters who go through the hero’s journey to a similar degree as male characters who aren’t Mary Sues.

The fact that the root is Mary Sue which then Gary Sue was added kinda proves the point.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2023, 09:01 PM   #5176
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Sorry I should rephrase that. The Mary Sues that people label as Mary Sues are female characters who go through the hero’s journey to a similar degree as male characters who aren’t Mary Sues.

The fact that the root is Mary Sue which then Gary Sue was added kinda proves the point.
Sorry, I know we're discussing characters, but I'd be interested in knowing what examples you have in mind?

I personally dont feel that female characters have been particularly well written in recent times, if you disagree I'd be interested in hearing it.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:55 PM   #5177
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sorry, I know we're discussing characters, but I'd be interested in knowing what examples you have in mind?

I personally dont feel that female characters have been particularly well written in recent times, if you disagree I'd be interested in hearing it.
I’m not saying the female leads are well written just that equally poorly written male leads don’t face the same criticism.

Thor vs Captian Marvel
Rey vs Luke
Anakin in phantom Menace vs Leia in Obi wan from the above video
Hermione vs Harry/Ron
Old 04-18-2023, 10:14 PM   #5178
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rey is absolutely a Mary Sue. There's really not a lot going on there. Which... it's effectively a movie series for kids, so, fine. When little girls go to Disney and see the actress playing Rey they're spellbound. Cool cool. But the idea behind the Mary Sue concept is that there isn't really a "journey". There's no arc.

Bo Katan clearly doesn't fall into the same category. Like... at all. FFS she was allied with Dooku, Pre Visla and Darth Maul at various points and helped overthrow her own sister's government.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:16 PM   #5179
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anakin in PM is totally a Mary Sue (I consider the trope name to be Mary Sue, the Gary Stu thing is stupid (IMO)).
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:20 PM   #5180
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you can cut a character's story down into its constituent parts and call them a Mary Sue for only part of the story, any more than you can say that "X is a Mary Sue for the first five scenes of this movie". Anakin, as a character, obviously has an arc and has many obvious weaknesses and character flaws that he struggles with and ultimately succumbs to, leaving aside how terrible those movies were.

Luke also clearly changes and grows as a person a ton over the course of the original trilogy. EDIT: Actually Ahsoka probably has the most significant growth as a character in the current Star Wars canon and that's largely why she's more well liked among fans, who originally hated her character as annoying in many of the ways young Anakin was.

Also how can you possibly compare MCU Captain Marvel to Thor? Thor's been through some ####. He was clearly a deeply flawed character from the start - among other things, he was incredibly arrogant and entitled, and has been repeatedly humbled, and has not always responded well afterwards.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 04-18-2023 at 10:32 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote