Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #3361
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Meh...

Do we really need an origin story for all the DC characters?

Also many of the Marvel origin stories have been their worst movies: Captain America, Thor 1/2, Captain Marvel, Hulk, etc...Of the main cast of the original Avengers movie, the only character with a good backstory buildup movie was Iron Man.

It's all a lot simpler. Good movies are good. Bad movies are bad.

And there's the rub for me. When Batman was repeatedly rebooted they always started going back and retelling his origin story. They did a great job in the Keatonverse why keep going over the same territory. Same with Superman, we know where he comes from and how he was raised. Don't keep revisiting it. In fact the best thing they did in DC was not going into the Jokers back story, it made him way more interesting. The JN Joker was awesome but his origin story in that movie was a bit silly.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #3362
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's an issue of preference too. But I prefer my sci-fi to be more off the wall. I really don't care how family or Chinese censor friendly it is. In fact, with everything that's going on, I'd prefer to offend the Chinese government censors at the cost of increased revenue. I know a lot of Marvel fans don't see it that way.
Hey, you know what. If you don't care about character development at all, great. As I said, JL is like the Expendables. It's not for people looking for depth, it's for people looking for superhero flavoured action pablum. And that's fine. You like Batman? Here ya go kiddo, here's your Batman.

But the rest of this post, in the quotes? My god man, you know we're talking about Justice League, right? From DC? Warner Bros?

If that's your version of "off the wall" and "not family-friendly" then please mix some movies actually made for adults into your lineup. If you can handle more than audible grunts and pointing between explosions and fight scenes, bonus. If not, throw a mindless action movie rated 18A into the lineup. Mix it up, expand your horizons.

And uh... keep sticking it to the Chinese by watching Superman movies... or something.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #3363
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Ongoing Sci-Fi, Comic Book Movie Thread v2

I don’t think it’s origin stories for all, but building up the seriousness the villains and the mother boxes would of made JL more engaging for me. I never read comics as a kid (besides Archie Double Digest when out camping) so I didn’t know the who Steppenwolf , Darkseid and the MB’s were. The MCU stuff was the same to me, however the individual stories regrading the infinity stones made me realize and fear Thanos actually getting a hold of them all. The story of the mother boxes felt like it could of worked out amazing IMO if told as a slow build up of what they could really do. It wouldn’t of even had to be as drawn out as the MCU (which could of dropped a few movies and still been good).
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #3364
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
I don’t think it’s origin stories for all, but building up the seriousness the villains and the mother boxes would of made JL more engaging for me. I never read comics as a kid (besides Archie Double Digest when out camping) so I didn’t know the who Steppenwolf , Darkseid and the MB’s were. The MCU stuff was the same to me, however the individual stories regrading the infinity stones made me realize and fear Thanos actually getting a hold of them all. The story of the mother boxes felt like it could of worked out amazing IMO if told as a slow build up of what they could really do. It wouldn’t of even had to be as drawn out as the MCU (which could of dropped a few movies and still been good).
That's fair to say.

Imagine if the second Wonder Woman movie was centered around one of the mother boxes waking up, and the chaos that caused as it started calling out to Darkseid to come and get it. The Amazons fighting to stop that transmission, until the box is stolen by....

golden age Barbara Minerva, who is cut by the sacred dagger of an offshoot Amazon tribe that makes her the Goddess of the Hunt. The mother box tries to corrupt her into taking away whatever is stopping the transmission (that the Amazons proper imposed) in return for changing her back into human form.

In the end, the mother box sends out a partial signal, Cheetah is partially returned to Barbara's control, and Steppenwolf appears, killing a bunch of people before boomtubing away.

There. One whole movie on the chaos that one mother box can cause. Justice is about the other two, and the death of Superman. Under three hours. No Max Lord. No goofiness.

Anyway.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #3365
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

But that doesn't bring back Chris Pine, so execs would have nixed that.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #3366
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Also, please let this happen.

"Gary Whitta, writer of The Book of Eli and Rogue One, has been working with Last Starfighter writer Jonathan Betuel on bringing the 1984 classic back to life for years now. Today, he hopped on his Twitch stream to say the film is closer than it’s ever been to fruition. It’s “right on the one-yard line” he said, and he believes it will happen."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-last-sta...zle-1846554519
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #3367
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine if LOTR came out now. People would be so mad there weren't solo films for Gandalf , Legolas, Frodo and Aragorn. They rushed it and how dare they waste the death of Gandalf so early on.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:19 PM   #3368
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tokyo Ghost is set in 2089 when humanity has become fully addicted to technology as an escape from reality. The story follows peacekeepers Debbie Decay and Led Dent, who are working in the Isles of Los Angeles and are given a job that will take them to the last tech-free country on Earth: the garden nation of Tokyo.
This was something that I thought would never happen. It's a great niche comic that lasted for all of two trade paperbacks. It's a nuts story, and insane artwork. Cary Fukunaga must just be a fan.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...dary-exclusive

Old 03-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #3369
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Imagine if LOTR came out now. People would be so mad there weren't solo films for Gandalf , Legolas, Frodo and Aragorn. They rushed it and how dare they waste the death of Gandalf so early on.
But they wouldn’t because the story was self contained in the novel itself (even though later it was expanded). Comic book arcs in general rely on people understanding the backgrounds of the characters.

Part of the reason Snyder cut worked better was we had already had an Aquaman movie and had been introduced by wheedon to flash and Cyborg. Justice League was the Cyborg movie so if you cut out the flash and aqua man origin stuff moving them out to their own movies and then do Justice league in 3 hrs instead of 4 it gets better.

If you needed 4hrs to tell a coherent version of your plot then adding additional movies was probably a good idea.

It’s a shame they didn’t have smaller scope. BvS I think is likely the problem that if you fixed that mess then Justice league gets better. BvS has 3 movies shoehorned into into it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 PM   #3370
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can understand the want for development in a vacuum. To get to know the characters before they're thrown together is a fair ask

But in the never ending comparison to the gold standard of Marvel, Black Panther and Spider-Man were added to Civil War before their own solo films and nobody is complaining about that.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #3371
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
But they wouldn’t because the story was self contained in the novel itself (even though later it was expanded). Comic book arcs in general rely on people understanding the backgrounds of the characters.
Yep... and when you #### with it, you get the Hobbit movies. Also, all the parts about LOTR that were changed made it worse - giving Arwen an expanded part in Fellowship because Liv Tyler needs screen time, all the cheesy Legolas stuff (i.e. skateboard shield), dwarf tossing jokes, doing Eowyn vs Witch King without the Dernhelm stuff... the more they stuck to the original material the better things went.

Thank God LOTR didn't come out now. The best part about it was how little CGI there was. If it was done now... yech.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:50 PM   #3372
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's a pretty bad take or example in what is being discussed.

You get enough character build up throughout the three movies that the climaxes actually mean something to the audience. Also, as others have said if they would have stuck closer to the source material it would have been even better.

I have yet to see a film that is based on a book our comic book story line to be absolutely perfect. However I have seen some absolutely terrible films based on books, comic books, and other media.

DCEU movies in the most part have been bad to terrible, I really liked Shazam. MCU movies have been decent to great. With a few stinkers as well.

I'm glad that your love for the source material allows you to enjoy the DCEU movies. I however, am very disappointed by how such great source material has been turned into such a ####ty mess.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-25-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:01 PM   #3373
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I can understand the want for development in a vacuum. To get to know the characters before they're thrown together is a fair ask

But in the never ending comparison to the gold standard of Marvel, Black Panther and Spider-Man were added to Civil War before their own solo films and nobody is complaining about that.
Spiderman has had so many movies made that it would be more of a hindrance than a help. As for Black Panther, he had bit parts in civil war to get us interested enough to want to know more about him. His solo movie then fleshed out his character and background.

The issue with the DCEU hasn't really been the heroes, it's the fact that the story didn't make any ####ing sense. How does Darkseid not remember where the planet that kicked his ass is? Or knowing that Steppenwolf found a mother box which he last happened to see on that very same planet, not realize it much earlier is ridiculous.

As another poster pointed out, one single movie building it the backstory of the mother boxes could have fixed a lot of the issues. But lazy sorry telling doesn't get you far with people that have been mostly spoiled by a great product in the MCU.

It's like when the WWE came to Calgary years ago, brought a mediocre Monday Raw to the home of stampede wrestling and the fans chanted Taber corn for 2 hours.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-25-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #3374
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I honestly don't think the DCEU problem has anything to do with the order they introduced the movies. They've had a bunch of problems and none of them were people having trouble connecting to the characters back stories.

Again I a dismissing the earlier Batman and Superman movies... from this conversation, the way I would dismiss the earlier Spiderman movies and the X-men movies from the MCU.

First and foremost has been cinematic quality. The Plot pacing and the CGI in pretty much all of their movies are a complete mess. It's not a-typical that they shove 50% of the entire plot into a 10 minute action sequence that is barely watchable in terms of visuals. A lot here have complained about marvel movies being predictable, but that is a feature not a bug. They have a complete story that builds to a climax fitting the story. It feels cohesive. These movies aren't suspense thrillers or mysteries, the hero's are going face near failure and barely pull through every time (if they take the bold step of letting the villain win, they will undo it in the next movie), that's the genre, if it's not what you're looking for watch some Shyamalan movies.

I also think they have a small problem of their hero's being less relatable, it's something Marvel has to be careful about as they get into hero's like Captain Marvel... who basically has Superman's powers, you really need to ground these characters in a real sense of danger to make sure the audience is invested. Superman has traditionally use the damsel in distress model of build the sense of danger, but as a theme is a little culturally spent right now.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #3375
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Also, please let this happen.

"Gary Whitta, writer of The Book of Eli and Rogue One, has been working with Last Starfighter writer Jonathan Betuel on bringing the 1984 classic back to life for years now. Today, he hopped on his Twitch stream to say the film is closer than it’s ever been to fruition. It’s “right on the one-yard line” he said, and he believes it will happen."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-last-sta...zle-1846554519
Oh man, I loved that movie so much as a kid. So 80's. It was like Tron meets Star Wars. I might have to watch it again soon!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #3376
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh man, I loved that movie so much as a kid. So 80's. It was like Tron meets Star Wars. I might have to watch it again soon!
It holds up surprisingly well. My kids loved it. The effects could use an update but they were amazing back in the day.

You know the remake won't include an arcade game but will be a console game. Armada, the book by Ready Player One author, uses a similar premise (video games unknowingly training people) and is also being made into a movie.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #3377
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I can't see the Invincible series matching the comic book plot point for plot point and running long enough to do so, but it could be a wild ride all the same.

Has anyone else started watching Robert Kirkland's Invincible on Prime?

I watched the first episode last night, and thought it was pretty great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #3378
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine typing this out and thinking it's in any way a reasonable counterpoint.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #3379
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

The issue with the DCEU hasn't really been the heroes, it's the fact that the story didn't make any ####ing sense. How does Darkseid not remember where the planet that kicked his ass is? Or knowing that Steppenwolf found a mother box which he last happened to see on that very same planet, not realize it much earlier is ridiculous.
2 explanations for this. The boomtube technology was imprecise at the time. Darkseid had been to 100,000 planets but couldn't travel to one specific planet well. Or Darkseid had purposely suppressed knowledge of Earth, as losing was some great shame.

Makes about as much as sense as an all powerful being being obsessed with life replicating too much, and then destroying half of the life....a single time.....and then destroying the mechanism for destroying life....he does know that some species can create thousands of replicants of themselves in a single year? Seems like a lot of work to delay overpopulation by 20-30 years.

Thanos' plan would have been fine, except they used the destruction of the stones as a plot device in the second film, which makes his entire motivation in the first film make no sense.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #3380
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From a review. I think the whole film feels this way.

"With his cut, Snyder's just#pandered to people who enjoy his vision,#which is made evident by#the Knightmare#scene that comes off like an incoherent fan film."

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post: