Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #3181
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well....really....it had better be good....because Snyder got a 4-year mulligan.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #3182
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
It is one 4hr movie but the movie is broken up in 6 chapters with a 20 min epilogue. However, the entire 4hrs will be released all at once on Thursday. Reviews for this have been pretty good so far with a 75% on RT based on 93 reviews. I have a feeling WB is going to be left with alot of egg on their face once this is seen.
The major complaints seem to be that the movie is just too long. Once again, with Covid and few other options, I'd watch a 20 hour cut if I could. Bring it on.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #3183
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
"Featuring the voice of Worf"; meaning Michael Dorn...? Kind of a slap in the face that a character he played 20+ years ago "gets the credit" instead of the man himself.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #3184
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is one 4hr movie but the movie is broken up in 6 chapters with a 20 min epilogue. However, the entire 4hrs will be released all at once on Thursday. Reviews for this have been pretty good so far with a 75% on RT based on 93 reviews. I have a feeling WB is going to be left with alot of egg on their face once this is seen.
I did see a negative review today that it was akin to watching four hours of meat being pulverized.

But I am game to watch it. Not in one sitting, but I'm not going to devote four solid hours to any kind of passive entertainment unless it's playoff OT. I grew up with most of these characters.

My biggest concern is how much of the movie will be setting up subsequent films that no one has intention of making?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:03 PM   #3185
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/929031030044061696

Yeah, so, grain of salt.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #3186
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Just like all of you, I've heard almost nothing but glowing reviews of Snyder's vision. You may not be in for his dark vision but it seems like it finally makes sense and was the only way to pull a team-up together when WB never committed to stand-alone introduction movies like Marvel did.

A 4 hour movie like this would never work in the cinemas but apparently it works very well on your couch - obvious since people regularily binge entire seasons in a row on Netflix and streaming media.

It makes me wonder about all those movies of the past 50+ years of cinema where the director shot 4-10 hours of film and much of that has been lost.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-15-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:40 AM   #3187
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Just like all of you, I've heard almost nothing but glowing reviews of Snyder's vision. You may not be in for his dark vision but it seems like it finally makes sense and was the only way to pull a team-up together when WB never committed to stand-alone introduction movies like Marvel did.

A 4 hour movie like this would never work in the cinemas but apparently it works very well on your couch - obvious since people regularily binge entire seasons in a row on Netflix and streaming media.

It makes me wonder about all those movies of the past 50+ years of cinema where the director shot 4-10 hours of film and much of that has been lost.
That's definitely a lot of writers and directors that are much better at that they do, but become victims of studios and editing. That being said, most of the time I watch deleted scenes, the reaction is... Well that's kind of interesting, but definitely see why that scene was cut.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #3188
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have heard two pretty common reviews when it comes to this remake:

1) It is awesome, the true vision is finally out.
2) It is 4 hours of the same garbage

SO based on this, I assume if you liked or hated Joss Whedon's take you will feel the same way or close to the same way about this version....but this time it's 4 hours long and edgier.

I thought JL was pretty crap Martha, so I will go into this open minded. But I too think the 4 hour runtime will be too much.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #3189
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I have heard two pretty common reviews when it comes to this remake:

1) It is awesome, the true vision is finally out.
2) It is 4 hours of the same garbage

SO based on this, I assume if you liked or hated Joss Whedon's take you will feel the same way or close to the same way about this version....but this time it's 4 hours long and edgier.

I thought JL was pretty crap Martha, so I will go into this open minded. But I too think the 4 hour runtime will be too much.
From what I've seen it looks to be quite different from the Joss Whedon version in just about any way. All the Whedon footage has been removed. Snyder only actually directed a small portion of the original release (most reports say less than half). I'm not going to make any assertions on quality, but it's a very different movie than the Whedon cut. You're literally looking at 1 hour of original footage and 3 hours of new footage.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #3190
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
From what I've seen it looks to be quite different from the Joss Whedon version in just about any way. All the Whedon footage has been removed. Snyder only actually directed a small portion of the original release (most reports say less than half). I'm not going to make any assertions on quality, but it's a very different movie than the Whedon cut. You're literally looking at 1 hour of original footage and 3 hours of new footage.
Oh I know, but this is what I am getting based on the reviews and the people who did the reviews:

Those who like JW's JL really like ZS' JL and those who hated JW's JL have had generally negative reviews of ZS' JL.

Also a lot of the critics on RT who have given it a fresh rating, pretty much use it as a "Was it better than the original?" button....some piles of garbage are better than others.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-16-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #3191
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I know, but this is what I am getting based on the reviews and the people who did the reviews:

Those who like JW's JL really like ZS' JL and those who hated JW's JL have had generally negative reviews of ZS' JL.

Also a lot of the critics on RT who have given it a fresh rating, pretty much use it as a "Was it better than the original?" button....some piles of garbage are better than others.
I wouldn't agree with that either. Most of the negative review I've seen are far more critical of Snyder than Wheedon. Most of the negative reviews boil down to: "All superhero movies should be easily accessible simple movies. This isn't that. I hate it and knew I was going to hate it going in". For example:

https://www.cnet.com/news/snyder-cut...on-years-long/

Quote:
Ten seconds in and I already have that annoying feeling, all too common in today's continuity obsessed blockbusters, that I have to stop the film and check Wikipedia to figure out if I'm missing something.

That murky prologue tells you very clearly, right from the jump, who this film is for. Are you intimately acquainted with the details of Zack Snyder's films? Welcome aboard. Are you the other 99% of the moviegoing public, which kinda liked the Wonder Woman movies and just wants some superhero escapism while sitting at home with only streaming services for company? Screw you! Go watch Batman Forever, you poser!
I don't know how this reviewer could possibly have expected to like a Snyder super hero movie.

Anyways, I lost total faith in reviewers a while ago. I think the audience scores will be much more telling here.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #3192
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't agree with that either. Most of the negative review I've seen are far more critical of Snyder than Wheedon. Most of the negative reviews boil down to: "All superhero movies should be easily accessible simple movies. This isn't that. I hate it and knew I was going to hate it going in". For example:

https://www.cnet.com/news/snyder-cut...on-years-long/

I don't know how this reviewer could possibly have expected to like a Snyder super hero movie.

Anyways, I lost total faith in reviewers a while ago. I think the audience scores will be much more telling here.
The people that want to watch the movie because they hated the original will watch it, those who could care less won't. Most people watching it will be like Nadal and love it. I am going to guess an audience core of 92%. People who don't care about CBM's will not watch a 4 hour JL movie. So you definitely will see skewed reviews. Also how many people who don't have HBO/Crave will grab a trial to watch this? there is too many hoops to jump through for those that don't care.

This movie will play to fan boys, that is why it was made.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-16-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #3193
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
The people that want to watch the movie because they hated the original will watch it, those who could care less won't. Most people watching it will be like Nadal and love it. I am going to guess an audience core of 92%. People who don't care about CBM's will not watch a 4 hour JL movie. So you definitely will see skewed reviews. Also how many people who don't have HBO/Crave will grab a trial to watch this? there is too many hoops to jump through for those that don't care.

This movie will play to fan boys, that is why it was made.
I don't have a problem with that. A major problem with modern sci-fi/superhero movies is trying to provide too much mass appeal. We end up with safe just okay movies. Sci-fi is supposed to appeal to a smaller audience.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #3194
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have a problem with that. A major problem with modern sci-fi/superhero movies is trying to provide too much mass appeal. We end up with safe just okay movies. Sci-fi is supposed to appeal to a smaller audience.
I can't argue with this, if you are in a room full of people giving you high fives and telling you that you are the coolest guy in the world...how can that be a bad thing right?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #3195
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I can't argue with this, if you are in a room full of people giving you high fives and telling you that you are the coolest guy in the world...how can that be a bad thing right?
Once again, I don't see a problem with that either. What's wrong with a bunch of hardcore fans getting together and enjoying something.

Conversely, I find it quite weird that I should be expected to consume the same media as a 10 year old girl or a 70 year old retiree.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #3196
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've read much different reviews.

I've read quite a few that HATED the JW version and LOVE the ZS version.

They are two totally different movies, and not just a longer piece of crap as you state..

Here's a good opinion piece not just about the movie but also the artistic vision of a director.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15/opini...oqi/index.html

Dig a little deeper, and you find a testament to directorial freedom. That said, what is artistic integrity in an industry fueled by the bottom line? When does a film turn from director-friendly to committee-driven?
The story of "Justice League" sheds new light on these questions, changing the way we understand filmmaking freedom.

"Zack Snyder's Justice League" is more than a traditional director's cut, and it changes the standard that studios must hold themselves to moving forward. Filmmaking and artistic integrity go hand-in-hand. Every director, writer, actor, cinematographer, composer, photographer, and production member is an artist.
There will always be a natural tug-of-war between artist and corporation, a mixture of ideas in the final product. The inequity arises when that tug-of-war becomes too one-sided. Enter the Snyder Cut movement to redeem the sense of balance so many have been yearning for.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #3197
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Once again, I don't see a problem with that either. What's wrong with a bunch of hardcore fans getting together and enjoying something.

Conversely, I find it quite weird that I should be expected to consume the same media as a 10 year old girl or a 70 year old retiree.
That wasn't sarcasm, no green text. I was agreeing with you.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #3198
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I've read much different reviews.

I've read quite a few that HATED the JW version and LOVE the ZS version.

They are two totally different movies, and not just a longer piece of crap as you state..

Here's a good opinion piece not just about the movie but also the artistic vision of a director.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15/opini...oqi/index.html

Dig a little deeper, and you find a testament to directorial freedom. That said, what is artistic integrity in an industry fueled by the bottom line? When does a film turn from director-friendly to committee-driven?
The story of "Justice League" sheds new light on these questions, changing the way we understand filmmaking freedom.

"Zack Snyder's Justice League" is more than a traditional director's cut, and it changes the standard that studios must hold themselves to moving forward. Filmmaking and artistic integrity go hand-in-hand. Every director, writer, actor, cinematographer, composer, photographer, and production member is an artist.
There will always be a natural tug-of-war between artist and corporation, a mixture of ideas in the final product. The inequity arises when that tug-of-war becomes too one-sided. Enter the Snyder Cut movement to redeem the sense of balance so many have been yearning for.

I understand that supporting and allowing artists to complete their art as they see it being completed and giving the artists the power to make all the decisions is what is happening. It was practically forced on them by fanboys.

Some artists decide to work in specific genres or spaces. For example, Kanye West is an artist and gets to complete his pieces of art as he sees fit. But...some people don't think what Kanye does is art and to some...its a piece a crap. To others he is a genius.

Zack Snyder works in his chosen space of artistic freedoms....and some find his work to be crap.

We will see how this all sorts it self out but I am expecting some new scenes, some old with some edgier depictions and what was put forth in the first version.

Give him all the freedom in the world, like he had with the directors cut of Batman v Superman. Which in my opinion ended up being a longer just a crappy version of the original.

Do you bleed?

You will!

hjahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

Oh yeah! and also "DON'T KILL ME MY MOM'S NAME IS MARTHA AS WELLLLLLLLLLL"

Last edited by Since1984; 03-16-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #3199
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Zack Snyder works in his chosen space of artistic freedoms....and some find his work to be crap.

which you obviously count yourself as one of those people.

Which is fine, but it's keeping you from being objective about the film.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #3200
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
which you obviously count yourself as one of those people.

Which is fine, but it's keeping you from being objective about the film.
I have yet to see it, so technically I have yet to make my mind up about it.

I was a big fan of 300 and Watchmen in general. Still don't get why they changed the giant alien into a bomb. I also enjoyed his take on Dawn of the Dead.

As for his latest works, I have been less impressed. I am going in with really low expectations as you can tell. So if it is any good, I should at least find it somewhat more enjoyable than JW's JL.