Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2023, 11:02 AM   #221
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Everyone relax.

He’ll only be out till he kills one more person.

Its super unlikely to be anyone you know.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #222
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Now you're getting it, son! Welcome!
Really that’s your response.

Not my statement was wrong. Do I need to go back and quote what you said and how you continued to double down including posting that LI had mandatory monitoring requirements that you provided a link to that directly contradicted you.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 11:10 AM   #223
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Not my statement was wrong. Do I need to go back and quote what you said and how you continued to double down including posting that LI had mandatory monitoring requirements that you provided a link to that directly contradicted you.
I bet if you pound your head against this brick wall a few more times it'll break.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:16 AM   #224
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I bet if you pound your head against this brick wall a few more times it'll break.
His head, or the wall?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 12:37 PM   #225
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What if he didn't relapse and was released? See the problem?
Which is why he has to monitored on a regular basis should he ever be released. His health professionals will be able to spot the early signs of a relapse and treat it accordingly.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:50 PM   #226
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Relapse rates

Quote:
Results

Relapse rates are very high when treatment is discontinued, even after a single psychotic episode; a longer treatment period prior to discontinuation does not reduce the risk of relapse; many patients relapse soon after treatment reduction and discontinuation; transition from remission to relapse may be abrupt and with few or no early warning signs; once illness recurrence occurs symptoms rapidly return to levels similar to the initial psychotic episode; while most patients respond promptly to re-introduction of antipsychotic treatment after relapse, the response time is variable and notably, treatment failure appears to emerge in about 1 in 6 patients. These observations are consistent with contemporary thinking on the dopamine hypothesis, including the aberrant salience hypothesis.

Conclusions

Given the difficulties in identifying those at risk of relapse, the ineffectiveness of rescue medications in preventing full-blown psychotic recurrence and the potentially serious consequences, adherence and other factors predisposing to relapse should be a major focus of attention in managing schizophrenia. The place of antipsychotic treatment discontinuation in clinical practice and in placebo-controlled clinical trials needs to be carefully reconsidered.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3599855/
Old 06-10-2023, 12:59 PM   #227
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t think you have the stamina to win this one buds.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #228
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-m...ssed-1.6442466

Quote:
The Alberta Court of Appeal has dismissed an application for an "absolute discharge" from a Calgary man who stabbed five people to death at a house party in 2014.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2023, 12:33 PM   #229
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Barclay Hunter, the father of Joshua, says he is "very relieved" to hear of the decision made by Alberta's top court, but added de Grood's lawyer was "highly irresponsible" in pursuing the appeal.

"(We are) encouraged that their position was so strongly rebutted by the appeal court," he wrote in a statement to CTV News following the decision.

"I understand his lawyer is in place to advocate on his behalf but it is highly irresponsible of them all, his lawyer and his family, to pursue such a reckless position on his behalf, against the better judgement of his treatment team and the review board."
Nailed it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:15 PM   #230
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
"He is undoubtedly much less dangerous now than he was then. However, his transition to unrestricted life in the community will not happen overnight, or at any discrete moment in time."

However, the appeal court said there may come a time when de Grood would be "entitled to conditional or absolute release," but that time hasn't come.

"It is a journey for him," the court said.
Glad to hear this. Decisions about his release should be left in the hands of doctors and not lawyers.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:54 PM   #231
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matthew de Grood seeks Supreme Court appeal to return to Calgary with additional freedoms
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 02:08 PM   #232
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate playing armchair psychologist, but I'm going to do it anyways. It's concerning to me that he's not accepting the board's decision. Doesn't really demonstrate someone who understands the gravity of what he did.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 02:18 PM   #233
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Exactly, the fact that he thinks that he deserves a conditional discharge after killing 5 people is absolutely insane. But I guess that's just par for the course when you're found not criminally responsible for KILLING 5 ####ING PEOPLE.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:21 PM   #234
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I hate playing armchair psychologist, but I'm going to do it anyways. It's concerning to me that he's not accepting the board's decision. Doesn't really demonstrate someone who understands the gravity of what he did.
If his doctors that are managing his treatment are making these assessments that he is ready why would he not believe them?

Last edited by GGG; 09-22-2023 at 03:24 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 05:03 PM   #235
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If his doctors that are managing his treatment are making these assessments that he is ready why would he not believe them?
They have repeatedly made the assessment that he is not ready.

Quote:
[26] At the hearing, the treatment team concluded that the appellant was still a “significant threat to the safety of the public”, and that his detention on a full warrant was necessary to protect the public.

[28] The appellant has undoubtedly made progress, but the treatment team thought his health is still fragile. He is highly responsive to his oral medication, but any disruption in that medication may cause him to decompensate. He has not yet had any experience with self-medication. Further, it appears that even when he is medicated he can decompensate. The deterioration of his mental health can be subtle and masked by other factors, and may not be obvious to the treatment team or appreciated by the appellant himself.

[29] Dr. Manuwa, the treating psychiatrist, performed a number of tests, and also applied his clinical judgment and experience in assessing the appellant’s condition. He concluded that the appellant’s risk of imminent future violence, if given an absolute discharge, would be low, but any future violence is significantly likely to be of high severity. Further, if he transitioned to a lower level of psychiatric care, the appellant would be more likely to deteriorate mentally and behaviorally, and pose an increased risk to the safety of the public. Given his lack of early insight into decompensation, there was a risk that the appellant would not voluntarily return to the hospital for care if he was discharged. In order to protect the public, the treatment team required the ability to quickly return the appellant to hospital for treatment, which required his detention on a full warrant.

[36] It is clear the appellant was a serious danger to the public at the time of the index offences, before he was diagnosed and began receiving treatment. He is undoubtedly much less dangerous now than he was then. However, his transition to unrestricted life in the community will not happen overnight, or at any discrete moment in time. It is a journey for him. On every annual review the treatment team and the Review Board must assess whether he has proceeded far enough that he can no longer be seen as a significant danger to the public. As the appellant points out, the “significant risk” test is not a “zero risk” test, and there will presumably come a point when he is entitled to conditional or absolute release. However, on the evidence on this record, it was reasonable for the Review Board to conclude that the appellant still poses a risk of serious violent behaviour.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 09-22-2023 at 05:08 PM.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #236
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
But I guess that's just par for the course when you're found not criminally responsible for KILLING 5 ####ING PEOPLE.
I mean this is a dumb take. You either believe that people can suffer mental breaks and be found NCR for their actions or you don't. The severity of the actions has nothing to do with the validity of the diagnosis.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 05:19 PM   #237
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

This ^

I see why some people can't separate their emotions enough to wrap their minds around a NCR determination but the people making that call are professionals and using assessments that are well established and tested and I'm pretty sure the seriousness of the crime is not lost on them.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:22 PM   #238
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

... but the same cadre of professionals who helped determine deGrood was NCR are maintaining today that it is NOT safe for him to be in the general public still... yet deGrood and family persist in seeking release.

The severity does matter here. Being NCR doesn't absolve someone of the moral responsibility... just the CRIMINAL responsibility of an action. He and family are not showing that they accept moral responsibility in spite of the NCR absolving them of criminal matters, and that is the problematic element.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 12:42 PM   #239
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
... but the same cadre of professionals who helped determine deGrood was NCR are maintaining today that it is NOT safe for him to be in the general public still... yet deGrood and family persist in seeking release.

The severity does matter here. Being NCR doesn't absolve someone of the moral responsibility... just the CRIMINAL responsibility of an action. He and family are not showing that they accept moral responsibility in spite of the NCR absolving them of criminal matters, and that is the problematic element.
This is sort of the thing and I'm far, far from an expert, but my understanding is that 'Severity' is considered.

Some people can fall off their meds or have a psychotic break and become a public nuisance for a bit. Some people can murder a room full of kids.

Its quite the range, so you'd better be sure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:49 PM   #240
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Honestly the only way I was able to heal (as best I could) from an NCR event in my personal life, was that the guy was fully accepting and open to all punishments/follow-up actions, etc. nothing was pushed back by his council. Full acceptance of the moral responsibility. No one involved will ever fully heal, but it’s sure helpful that he wasn’t fighting/arguing anything that came up. Except the NCR of course, but it was quickly accepted by both sides as the proper course of action.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: